Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's the issue, so to speak. I know I definitely want to go into Law, and at the moment am pretty certain I'll be going to Sheffield, whichever course I do.

I'm very tempted (as long as my resits boosted my grades) to ask to switch to a Law degree rather than History. My question basically is, would I be in any better of a position doing that than if I were to do History and then a Senior Status Law Degree somewhere else? Is Sheffields reputation for Law good enough that I'd stand a chance with just the degree from there (assuming I got a decent degree of course)?

Sorry for making a simple question so complicated. But thanks for any help, especially from those who can actually give informed advice rather than speculate!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is a solid all round University and the Law department has a considerable reputation. You should be able to make a decent career in Law with a degree from Sheffield
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's not going to make much difference, OP. A history degree from Sheffield + the GDL will give you roughly the same prospects/opportunities as a law degree from there. Pick whichever subject appeals to you most - if you do decide to become a lawyer there other routes into the profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    It's not going to make much difference, OP. A history degree from Sheffield + the GDL will give you roughly the same prospects/opportunities as a law degree from there. Pick whichever subject appeals to you most - if you do decide to become a lawyer there other routes into the profession.
    Thanks. So a History degree from Sheffield and then the Senior Status Degree from say (for arguments sake) Oxford wouldn't leave me in a much stronger position?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sam o0o)
    Thanks. So a History degree from Sheffield and then the Senior Status Degree from say (for arguments sake) Oxford wouldn't leave me in a much stronger position?
    That's right; the LLM, BLC, etc are great insofar as they show your particular commitment to a certain area of the law - if you did something like Aviation and then decided to practise that branch of the law then obviously that would be seen as a positive. But, senior status/post grad degrees on the whole don't provide too much of an advantage and they're certainly not a necessity.

If you do a non-law degree and want to practise law then you ought to aim for a 2.1, enrol on the conversion course and then follow much the same path as everybody else (LPC/BPTC ---> Training contract/pupilage).

ReputationRep:
    That's right; the LLM, BLC, etc are great insofar as they show your particular commitment to a certain area of the law - if you did something like Aviation and then decided to practise that branch of the law then obviously that would be seen as a positive. But, senior status/post grad degrees on the whole don't provide too much of an advantage if you do want to go into the profession and practise as a lawyer.

If you do a non-law degree then you ought to aim for a 2.1, enrol on the conversion course and then you follow much the same path as everybody else (LPC/BTPC ---> Training contract/pupilage).
    Ok, thanks a lot! I assumed that as long as I got a 2i/First in whichever degree I did it wouldn't make an awful lot of difference, but then started to wonder why Oxbridge and other places would offer the 2 year Law degree if it wasn't going to matter in the end..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sam o0o)
    Ok, thanks a lot! I assumed that as long as I got a 2i/First in whichever degree I did it wouldn't make an awful lot of difference, but then started to wonder why Oxbridge and other places would offer the 2 year Law degree if it wasn't going to matter in the end..
    The senior status degrees are far from worthless and that's certainly not what I'm getting at; they're very highly regarded - it looks great on your CV and, like I said, if you've specifically focused on a certain area of the law then it could be relevant in actual practise.

But, most people who embark on these degrees do so because they have an academic interest in law as a subject. If your sole motivation for studying at post graduate level is to enter the legal profession then a much quicker, less expensive and (possibly) easier route is to take the conversion course. This is what most people do and it's no disadvantage whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    The senior status degrees are far from worthless and that's certainly not what I'm getting at; they're very highly regarded - it looks great on your CV and, like I said, if you've specifically focused on a certain area of the law then it could be relevant in actual practise.

But, most people who embark on these degrees do so because they have an academic interest in law as a subject. If your sole motivation for studying at post graduate level is to enter the legal profession then a much quicker, less expensive and (possibly) easier route is to take the conversion course. This is what most people do and it's no disadvantage whatsoever.
    Ah ok I see. Thanks again!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.