Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MEng at Hertfordshire or MSc at top-tier University? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently pursuing a MEng Computer Science degree at the Uni of Hertfordshire. I'm wondering if I should quit in my third year with a BSc degree and try to get an MSc degree at a top-tier University (Imperial, Oxbridge, UCL etc) or just continue with my MEng degree at Hertfordshire. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troyes)
    I'm currently pursuing a MEng Computer Science degree at the Uni of Hertfordshire. I'm wondering if I should quit in my third year with a BSc degree and try to get an MSc degree at a top-tier University (Imperial, Oxbridge, UCL etc) or just continue with my MEng degree at Hertfordshire. Any suggestions?
    It depends on what you want to do. If you'd like to go into finance, Imperial/Oxbridge would give you a foot in the door if you could get into the MSc.

If you're already achieving near the top of the class you could just continue and get a good first which would leave you with many possibilities (PhD, gaming industry, whatever).

I'd say the MSc would probably only be worth it if you need industry links or if you're not performing that great at the current course and think the university name might help your prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    It depends on what you want to do. If you'd like to go into finance, Imperial/Oxbridge would give you a foot in the door if you could get into the MSc.

If you're already achieving near the top of the class you could just continue and get a good first which would leave you with many possibilities (PhD, gaming industry, whatever).

I'd say the MSc would probably only be worth it if you need industry links or if you're not performing that great at the current course and think the university name might help your prospects.
    Although, if he's not performing too well, I doubt he will be able to get into Imperial...

Otherwise, one of the questions you should ask yourself is whether you can finance the MSc? As student loan and grant won't be available for that!

ReputationRep:
    I'm performing quite well I would say (First in my first year, 2:1 in my Second). I expect to get a First/2:1 in my final year. I also have bags of work experience including a placement year - would this count in my favour? What would you say are my chances of getting into Imperial...

ReputationRep:
    You don't mention whether the motivation is to change academic direction or simply to put a brand name onto your CV and open up some additional industry doors; it seems a very expensive option in the latter case...

ReputationRep:
    Mainly because I've heard msc might be more valuble than Meng in the long run. Any ideas on whether my chances are good based on my previous post?

ReputationRep:
    I'm performing quite well I would say (First in my first year, 2:1 in my Second). I expect to get a First/2:1 in my final year. I also have bags of work experience including a placement year - would this count in my favour? What would you say are my chances of getting into Imperial...
    Then you're performing well and not extremely well in which case it might be a good idea to do the MSc just to get the name/industry links/supervisors.

I think you should have a decent chance of getting in. It's up to you if the money is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crackingod)
    Although, if he's not performing too well, I doubt he will be able to get into Imperial...

Otherwise, one of the questions you should ask yourself is whether you can finance the MSc? As student loan and grant won't be available for that!
    Indeed, I was trying to hint at the fact that it doesn't really matter but might make a slight difference if he's borderline first/2:1. The problem is though if the standard would be different once he gets to Imperial and his grades drop. I have no idea if this is the case, hopefully not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    Indeed, I was trying to hint at the fact that it doesn't really matter but might make a slight difference if he's borderline first/2:1. The problem is though if the standard would be different once he gets to Imperial and his grades drop. I have no idea if this is the case, hopefully not.
    Sorry, what does this mean? Would it be unlikely for me to get in with a 2:1 or borderline first?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what does this mean? Would it be unlikely for me to get in with a 2:1 or borderline first?
    You should get in with a high 2:1, borderline first. What I mean is that some people argue that University name matters, some argue that it doesn't. If you get a good first then sure, stay at Hertfordshire. Otherwise it could arguably be better to go and get a good masters at Imperial instead of finishing with a 2:1 MEng at Hertfordshire.

This is all up to debate however. What you should do is think about whether you're happy at Hertfordshire and wouldn't mind finishing there. Compare that to the layout of the MSc course at Imperial and see if it fits you. Moving for the sole sake of career prospects is as hoodwink199 says a bit over the top.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you apply for the MSc in the final year of your MEng? So you could end up with a First in your MEng and then boost your CV with Imperial?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.