Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I interviewed two weeks ago in a major US bank for an off-cycle internship. I'd like to know if you think I can call them to know where the situation is now. I don't know what is usually the response time but I was interviewed by 8 people (it was not an AC or anything like that, it was just for me) and they told me they'd get back to me "shortly". They also told me I was the first person they'd seen... But can a more than a 2-week response time be considered as "shortly"?

I don't want to call them too soon so what do you think? Should I wait one week more (3 weeks)?

Do they usually respond to you even if you're refused for the internship? I hate when banks never get back to you... and I'd like to know now to plan if I have to apply other places or not...

Thanks.

PS: I've been invited to their offices in London (I'm from Spain) and the bank is GS.

ReputationRep:
    Call them!

It doesn't take 3 weeks for a decision, usually few days max.

ReputationRep:
    I read that some people received a positive answer after one month.
    When it's just after few days, it is usually for summer or grad position because they need more than one person.

In my case, it is for a specific internship, they need only one person and seems that the process is not like for other positions, I don't there will be a second round.

But I will call them tomorrow to know. If I'm refused, that's not respectful to me not to let me know about their decision and I will tell them what I think about their behavior!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    This is typical GS style. They interview someone, make sure you're the only person there for that position on the day, say they will get back to you "shortly", then continue interviewing for ages until they find someone they prefer to you.

I guess the longer they don't get back to you, the better.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is for an internship.
    I will call them tomorrow because I wanna know, even if I'm rejected, I don't care but I need to know.

According to threads I read on forums, people got invited to next step after 2 days, others after 1 month or more.
    Maybe it would be pretentious but I think they liked me a lot and I answered all the technical questions.

Anyway, I hope to know tomorrow. I'll let you know here so that people in my situation can "learn" from my experience ahaha

But it's only 2 weeks now (tomorrow), not 3 weeks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.