Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I just came from abroad to UK and I want to re-sit the Mathematics GCSE.From where I came they didn't have the module system,overthere we just had to give the whole syllabus all at once(in 1 final exam)...
    So can you plz explain me how the re-sit system works overhere!? Do you give the re-sit exam in modules aswell?
    Also I haven't started school sixth form yet as i just got here. Can anyone please provide me any contacts to how I can re-sit the exam?

Please I want the right correct information so I can continue my aspirations and desire for the admission in sixth form and future.
    I just messed up in this subject getting a D grade and i want to improve it to a B..THNKX!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saifoo8)
    The thing is I just came from abroad to UK and I want to re-sit the Mathematics GCSE.From where I came they didn't have the module system,overthere we just had to give the whole syllabus all at once(in 1 final exam)...
    So can you plz explain me how the re-sit system works overhere!? Do you give the re-sit exam in modules aswell?
    Also I haven't started school sixth form yet as i just got here. Can anyone please provide me any contacts to how I can re-sit the exam?

Please I want the right correct information so I can continue my aspirations and desire for the admission in sixth form and future.
    I just messed up in this subject getting a D grade and i want to improve it to a B..THNKX!
    Each school will have chosen to do EITHER modular exams (spread through a course) or linear exams (taken at the end as you did). I'd suggest you stick with linear for your retakes. Each school also chooses which syllabus they'll use - in England that will be Edexcel, AQA or OCR.

You can take the exams without any lessons at any school or college that is willing to accept you as a private candidate, you call local school/college exams officers and ask them if they will enter you for Linear Higher Tier Maths GCSE- if they agree they tell you what it will cost, you pay them, do your revision and then turn up to the exams. Find out which syllabus they use so you can practice the right past papers.

ReputationRep:
    This is good advice. Just to add that there are normally two sittings per year: in November and June. You will need to take 2 written examination papers. For one of these, you will require the use of a calculator.

Edit: some of the text appeared to be missing.

ReputationRep:
    Ok yea the linear system is the same way i've been doing. Thanks for the advice i'll re-sit the exam in june then.

ReputationRep:
    The linear system is often easier to organise with exam centres because they are less papers (although the exams are, of course, longer in duration). Good luck with your re-take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saifoo8)
    Ok yea the linear system is the same way i've been doing. Thanks for the advice i'll re-sit the exam in june then.
    Good luck
    Just to note that entries for the summer exams are made during March, so you need to start organising it now. You can be entered later if you miss the deadline but it's more expensive and centres are less willing to deal with the admin hassle.

ReputationRep:
    The deadline for entries is 21st February. You can enter after this date, but this depends whether the centre is willing to accept it. As you say, it will also result in higher exam fees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.