Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so, for my individual investigation i have chosen to do the effect of concentration on the reaction between manganate and oxalate ions. I need to find the rate of reaction with respect to manganate, oxalate and sulphuric acid. What i am doing is adding 10cm3 portions of two reactants to a certain concentration of the third reactant then i will vary the concentration of the third reaction and then obviously repeat for the other two reactants.
    I have done this for the manganate and oxalate ions so far and the results are rubbish. I believe that the order of reaction is one in both cases but my results dont really show this as there is no trend either way and equally the results are not constant enough to show zero order. I have spoken to my teacher and she said briefly to check/ be careful about the accuracy and precision of my experiment but i dont see how this could have caused the results because i have done everything possible to reduce my percentage error and increase reliability. Im now panicking - does anyone have any suggestions that could help?!?!? Thanks alot:confused: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lally823)
    Okay so, for my individual investigation i have chosen to do the effect of concentration on the reaction between manganate and oxalate ions. I need to find the rate of reaction with respect to manganate, oxalate and sulphuric acid. What i am doing is adding 10cm3 portions of two reactants to a certain concentration of the third reactant then i will vary the concentration of the third reaction and then obviously repeat for the other two reactants.
    I have done this for the manganate and oxalate ions so far and the results are rubbish. I believe that the order of reaction is one in both cases but my results dont really show this as there is no trend either way and equally the results are not constant enough to show zero order. I have spoken to my teacher and she said briefly to check/ be careful about the accuracy and precision of my experiment but i dont see how this could have caused the results because i have done everything possible to reduce my percentage error and increase reliability. Im now panicking - does anyone have any suggestions that could help?!?!? Thanks alot:confused: :woo:
    I am not sure how the reaction will go, but am pretty sure you have a way of telling when the reaction is complete - ie a change in colour perhaps.

You should have got times for these changes to occur as they reflect the rate of reaction. Reactions that take too long or too short(ie more than 10 min or less than 5 seconds) can be quite not precise.

If you have done repeats, take the average, then suppose you have measured the rate of reaction when only one of the reactant changes in concentration, you should be able to plot a reaction rate graph for it and hence determine the order wrt to that reactant. Do the same for the others and you should be able to tell quite easily.

Unless, you probably you haven't got enough readings(typically say 5 or 6 points) on your graph; though all it needs to draw a line is two points, the more data you have, the better your results can be

Ultimately, if you have done all that and you still get crap results, what to do, either you start all over again, or if it is due very soon, i suggest you write up with whatever you got, and discuss your values with what you might have expected them to be(based on books, friends' results) - really not too good an idea to make results.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.