Turn on thread page Beta

Picking my skin until it bleeds watch

Does anyone do this or have experience of friends/family that do?

I'm really struggling to stop at the moment, although I've done it on and off for most of my life, as well as pulling my hair. I think it's connected to stress, as I'm really miserable in my job and where I'm living and have to make decisions as to what to do instead but can't.

I mostly pick at the skin around my hair line and on my forehead, although sometimes on other areas of my body too, like hair folicles and my scalp. I find rough bits and basically scratch until it bleeds. Then when the scab forms I'll pick that off too. My face is a mess and if I don't let these patches heal up they're going to scar but I can't seem to stop.

Help?!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely sounds as if it's stress related so you'll probably need some outside help to break the habit. Would you consider going to the doctor? Or possibly hypnosis? If you need help making the big decisions in your life (where to live etc) do you have a friend you talk through the pros and cons?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone do this or have experience of friends/family that do?

I'm really struggling to stop at the moment, although I've done it on and off for most of my life, as well as pulling my hair. I think it's connected to stress, as I'm really miserable in my job and where I'm living and have to make decisions as to what to do instead but can't.

I mostly pick at the skin around my hair line and on my forehead, although sometimes on other areas of my body too, like hair folicles and my scalp. I find rough bits and basically scratch until it bleeds. Then when the scab forms I'll pick that off too. My face is a mess and if I don't let these patches heal up they're going to scar but I can't seem to stop.

Help?!
    It's called Dermatillomania (I have it too). The hair thing is Trichotillomania. I find it's worst when I'm stressed. I do it to my feet. I wear socks at night or I find I do it in my sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to suggest other than maybe wearing a swimming cap all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I use to do it in school all the time, i have eczema and back then i would scratch and scratch until my fingers were all bloody. Also, i don't know why, but i did like gathering all the little flakes of skin together :rolleyes:...maybe i'm special.

(Original post by sidi)
    Definitely sounds as if it's stress related so you'll probably need some outside help to break the habit. Would you consider going to the doctor? Or possibly hypnosis? If you need help making the big decisions in your life (where to live etc) do you have a friend you talk through the pros and cons?
    I do talk to my boyfriend and my mum but it's not really helping as they can't make the decisions for me. (Also, a lot will depend on whether my boyfriend secures a permanent job at the end of his grad scheme, but we won't know that until the end of the summer.) If anything, thinking about it makes it worse. I have been to a counsellor in the past for unrelated things and that didn't help that either.

Has anyone got any experience of hypnosis? I know it can work for stopping smoking but I'm still skeptical.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    It's called Dermatillomania (I have it too). The hair thing is Trichotillomania. I find it's worst when I'm stressed. I do it to my feet. I wear socks at night or I find I do it in my sleep.
    I have heard of this but for some reason I didn't think it applied to me. I guess I don't warrant it as serious enough for a 'diagnosis' as such.

(Original post by cfizzle)
    wow that sounds painful! it probably is due to nerves or stress or something. i'd get something else to occupy your hands... might i suggest a rubix cube, or a finger trap? D:
    It doesn't tend to hurt much. I'm not very good with pain so if it did, I probably wouldn't do it! My boyfriend has suggested a stress ball, so maybe that's worth a try.

Thanks for the replies, made me feel less like a freak.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do that...I just like picking scabs...I have spots on the sides of my face and i scartch them until there red and start bleeding and then i scratch the scab of and do this again and again. I have had these marks for almost 6 months now!

ReputationRep:
    OK so you can't make the decision about where to live just yet but what about the work one? As you say you're miserable at work try out work out what your options are.
    As for hypnosis, it tends to either work brilliantly or not at all! It puts you into a deep state of relaxation so no harm done if it doesn't work for you. Meditation's good too.

ReputationRep:
    my face is a right sight
    plus im a girl
    oh the grief i get!!!! god
    how do i stop this madnesssss
    aaaarrrghhhh

I do this as well, I tend to do it more on my chest and upper arms/shoulders. I've found it very difficult to stop and have tried on multiple occasions. I used to self-harm so I figure this is a sort of replacement, as I only do it when I'm stressed out etc. I have found keeping nails short is something, its reduces the effect of the picking, but only a short term solution I'm afraid.

Also, I wasn't aware there was a name for it...you learn something everyday.

(Original post by Justagirl4)
    Yeah I do that...I just like picking scabs...I have spots on the sides of my face and i scartch them until there red and start bleeding and then i scratch the scab of and do this again and again. I have had these marks for almost 6 months now!
    Omg I'm just the same.

It's terrible it really is. I want to have nice skin but I just can't help myself. Ordinary people get a spot and it might last a week. Where I get a patch of bad skin I keep it going for months because I just can't stop.

I really wish I could not do it. Sometimes it helps to put a bandage over or something cause then you can't as easily. But I can't wear a bandage over my face in public.. so this leads to me trying to lurk around by myself where no one can see me.

ReputationRep:
    its all down to stress and anxiety isnt it....?
    and it doesnt help with exams so close by...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.