Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    And my other questions I asked you?

cba, you're picking an arguement by implying i'm being a hypocrite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    No. They don't.
    how dare you, they have rights
    1 they have the right to get into my mouth
    2 they have the right to taste good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    cba, you're picking an arguement by implying i'm being a hypocrite
    I'm asking questions that's all. I want to know if you take the general hypocritical stance I come across or if you apply a bit more intellect to the situation.
    Should I presume the former-boring hypocrisy, or latter, intellectual response I'd love to read.

ReputationRep:
    Do you consider animals equal to humans?
    Yes, of course
    Would you go out of your way to help an animal in distress?
    Yes, i would help any human in distress and as an animal is equal to a human...
    Are you automatically caused grief or pain or whatever by the thought of harm coming to an animal?
    Yes, i can't stand the idea of pain or sadness coming to any human or animal.
    In a situation where for whatever reason it was necessary, would you be able to cause harm to an animal yourself?
    I don't think I could.

As you may have guessed, yes I do believe animals should have equal rights to a human.

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking questions that's all. I want to know if you take the general hypocritical stance I come across or if you apply a bit more intellect to the situation.
    Should I presume the former-boring hypocrisy, or latter, intellectual response I'd love to read.

i dont think its hypocritical for me to have an animal killed so that i can eat it, so long as it has been kept and killed humanely, since the person who killed the animal did not take pleasure in inflicting pain/causing suffering to the animal

i.e. the killing of the animal was an act of indulgence, not sadism

ReputationRep:
    Who do you think invented the concept of rights? Humans obviously. So animals can only have the rights that we give them. Yes, animals do have certain rights, in this country at least. The interesting question is what rights, if any, should animals have?

I think animals should have some rights. Perhaps a right to not suffer from the actions of humans (as much as is practically possible anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Animals have the right to be tasty.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think its hypocritical for me to have an animal killed so that i can eat it, so long as it has been kept and killed humanely, since the person who killed the animal did not take pleasure in inflicting pain/causing suffering to the animal

i.e. the killing of the animal was an act of indulgence, not sadism
    Did you actually read my post?

Here are the questions posed:

Do you have any issues with surreptitious killings of animals?
    And if so what about infanticide? Or even humans?
    Note:I missed off the word adult in the last, but I think (or at least hope) it's obvious what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    "their animals" "they have rights".
    So...
    ...they're surely not property.
    Are you vegan?
    They aren't property.
    But it's similar to a parent calling their child ''theirs''.

No I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is some are after us in the food chain so how can they be? Even though I wish they were equal and the world worked differently so we didn't have to eat other living beings. But that's the way it works so bring me some chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    They aren't property.
    But it's similar to a parent calling their child ''theirs''.

No I'm not.
    Do you not cause suffering unnecessarily when you eat animal produce?
    Or do you need to for specific health issues?Or have access to a non-harmful egg or milk farm?

ReputationRep:
    No, not even close to equal to us.
    Though they should have rights.
    I myself dont eat meat, kill insects etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    No, not even close to equal to us.
    Though they should have rights.
    I myself dont eat meat, kill insects etc
    Do you consumer eggs and dairy?

ReputationRep:
    No animals do not have rights.. rights arise from being a legal person in the eyes of the law, and animals don't have legal personality. They are afforded protection by the duties imposed on us to do so and obviously there are laws that do likewise but no, they do not have rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamnotarobot)
    Do you consider animals equal to humans?
    Would you go out of your way to help an animal in distress?
    Are you automatically caused grief or pain or whatever by the thought of harm coming to an animal?
    In a situation where for whatever reason it was necessary, would you be able to cause harm to an animal yourself?

And just generally, do animals have rights? What are they, and how do they compare to humans'?

(I was having this debate with a friend earlier today - no particular sides, just talking around the issues. I'm curious to know how other people view it!)
    1) Yes; humans ARE animals
    2) Yes
    3) No
    4) No
    5) Yes; they have the right to be respected.

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually read my post?

Here are the questions posed:

Note:I missed off the word adult in the last, but I think (or at least hope) it's obvious what I meant.

i didnt answer the questions because they are irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Well my idea of ''rights''
    is along the lines that an animal has the right to not suffer unecessarily.
    For example I buy only free range eggs and not battery hen ones, because I know battery hens have suffered.
    Actually, in recent studies, battery chickens are healthier and more productive than free range birds.

No source apart from my animal science tutor who owns 15000 chickens (free range)

ReputationRep:
    i didnt answer the questions because they are irrelevant
    They're directly related to equality.
    You're just not answering because you know the answers will be awkward.

ReputationRep:
    Do you consumer eggs and dairy?
    Only my home grown eggs.

And yes, I aware of the problems with milk. But like I said, I belive we use animals to produce foods but never eat the animal itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Only my home grown eggs.

And yes, I aware of the problems with milk. But like I said, I belive we use animals to produce foods but never eat the animal itself
    Erm, veal?
    And if a cow stops producing milk of a standard we want, do you think the farmers going to keep it alive?
    It's only a drain on resources.

You seem to be saying "milk is bad" but then "we don't eat the animal itself".
    As if if we eating it or not dictates if we'll kill it or not...

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.