Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone ever been to Ground Zero, New York? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a survey about peoples motivations to New york and would be interested to here people's opinions on the matter, for example how you felt when going, if you'd go again, did you go on any tours buy souvenirs etc.

Also would anyone be interested in answering my questionnaire on this topic for my dissertation?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I passed it, it was just a building site though. I'll do a questionnaire.

ReputationRep:
    I went in the summer. Like squeak said, it was just a building site.

ReputationRep:
    Aye I've been. Bit barren.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeak)
    I passed it, it was just a building site though. I'll do a questionnaire.
    Same as. Went to it in April '08 and August '09. Not much changed between these periods.

And in regards to the bit in bold, that's pretty much all it is, it's nothing amazing to look at really. But being close to it does make you take quite a heavy breath just thinking about what used to stand there (And what happened, obviously).

ReputationRep:
    yeah, not much to see though. the tour guide my school were with told us to look at the buildings either side which were massive, properly had to crane our necks to look at the top, and then he said they were just a third of the size of the tallest twin tower, i was shocked. can't even imagine the devastation when they collapsed, it would have been monstrous.

ReputationRep:
    yep, and i left with an empty bladder

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that made me think was kinda recognising buildings from news/videos and thinking about the people jumping out of windows and the mass off smoke that consumed the whole area...like thinking where I was stood and imagining seeing it happen kinda thing.

My parents went not that long after it happened when there weren't all the building fences up and you could see the remnants, they said it was more eery then the more recent trip.

ReputationRep:
    I used to live in Manhattan, and I've been many times. It didn't have the profound effect on me that I thought it would the first time, but I did stop to reflect a little. From then on it became much like passing any building site and sadly, it became easy to forget any past events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachelf1888)
    does anyone know how i can post my questionnaire on here?
    Code:
    [URL]website address goes here[ /URL]
    just remove the space in the second bracket

(that's if it's done through a survey website site, of course)

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have visited it (4 years ago). I read the graffiti on the walls, saw the tribute to the service men and woman who lost their lives. I have some photographs somewhere of the time I went there. I like to think they are slightly different to the ones many Japanese tourists were taking of each other smiling next to a building site/in front of the hole.

ReputationRep:
    I went in the height of winter, but that added to the bitter seriousness of what had happened. I went with my dad and sister and it felt so eerie thinking of all the people who had died there, especially looking at the pictures on the barriers around the outside and the things people had left in respect of their loved ones.

I also went to the church next to it, and despite not being religious I found it very touching.

I don't think I would go again, I don't think I'd need to.

Yeah I went but other than the cross erected from the steel its just a building site.
    A much more poignant memorial to 9/11 is across the river at the port where the ferry goes to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty,where they have the turnstiles and memorials.Much more sadder than something in busy Downtown.

ReputationRep:
    Hi would you fill in my questionnaire regarding New York, Thanks

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V3MK2JX
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've been, looked a lot better in 2000.

ReputationRep:
    I was there exactly 2 weeks before 9/11, then 2 months after, when it was still smoldering and there was still a covering of dust. I was pretty emotional, having been in one of the buildings just a couple of months prior. I don't think I'd quite grasped exactly what had happened until we were there just after, and seeing (and smelling) it all just really hit home.
    We go by Ground Zero whenever we're in NYC now, which must be about 4/5 times, but it has less of an impact on me now and we really just go to see the progress of it all.

ReputationRep:
    I went to NY in October 2007, then again in December 2008. Hardly anything changed between those two periods that I was there, same old building site with not a lot happening...though isn't that true of most construction work these days?

ReputationRep:
    I visited it in the summer of 08. Not much to see.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.