Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    £30,000 and an easier job that I love doing. Considering how poor I will be when I leave uni, and the kind of pay grades for geography graduates [not bad, about ~£21K, but not the best ever], I would take that, because I also value having a life outside of work.

ReputationRep:
    The £30,000 easier one for sure. If you'd said £20,000 then no, but 30K is more than reasonable.

Make it 50 and it's a deal.

TBH 45 it's still a deal.

Deffo the 45K

ReputationRep:
    job you enjoy>>>>>>job you dont

would much rather have a job i like, ive had a few jobs where ive hated and ive ended up dreading going in every morning

ReputationRep:
    30 K . but some people live to work, others work to live. Depends where your priorities lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Put it into perspective first, you might ideally want it higher or lower but you will get the point.

Would you rather have:

A salary of £30,000 doing a job you enjoy, that is very little stress and not tiring.

A salary of £45,000 doing a job you don't enjoy which gives you large amounts of stress and is so tiring you get home and fall asleep in the chair quite a few nights.

Discuss.

45k any day of the week, but im a workaholic.

ReputationRep:
    Oh the first absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    £30k. For sure!

ReputationRep:

I like stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    £30k, but show me a 30k job that's a walk in the park as you describe...
    Well he didn't necessarily say a "walk in the park"... just not stressful or tiring. You can have jobs which are reasonably challenging, but don't cause you stress or leave you feeling tired. My job's like that, although it pays 30% more than £30k...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    Well he didn't necessarily say a "walk in the park"... just not stressful or tiring. You can have jobs which are reasonably challenging, but don't cause you stress or leave you feeling tired. My job's like that, although it pays 30% more than £30k...
    Cool, so you're job pays £39k? Nicely done. I understand I was being unfair to the OP.

£30k, but show me a 30k job that's a walk in the park as you describe...
    I'm on about as in just an average job stress etc..

Where as the 45k you lose sleep over worrying etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I'm on about as in just an average job stress etc..

Where as the 45k you lose sleep over worrying etc..
    Yeah man, it's cool- I was being unfair to you. Your question is good, so I just thought I'd try to trip you up...

ReputationRep:
    £45k for sure, who cares about stress when you can retire a few years earlier and do sweet F.A. in your twilight years rather than working away at the same job

ReputationRep:
    The 30k job definitely.

ReputationRep:
    I would happily work for 25 000 if it was a job I enjoyed.

ReputationRep:
    £30K is a very decent wage tbh! So I'd have to go for that!

It would have to be a bit of an improvement on a £15K difference for me to change my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, so you're job pays £39k? Nicely done. I understand I was being unfair to the OP.
    Yeah, but I got to that after a year of working - I started on 35 when I graduated.

In answer to the OP's question, I think enjoying the job you do is really important. I'm currently applying for a course that will take 4-5 years to complete and cost me tens of thousands of pounds, in order to get a job which will pay considerably less than I'm earning now, nevermind what I would be earning in 4 years time if I stayed in my current career. The motivation behind it is that I want to be doing something satisfying and worthwhile... you can't put a price on that.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd say the £30k job but to be honest this example of a job doesn't sound very challenging and I'd rather be rushed off my feet than sat around... but actually the most important thing to me is job satisfaction so yeh I would prefer the £30k job.

ReputationRep:
    Assumeing neither of them have promotion prospects so I do the same job for 50 years?

30k all the way.

Both are pretty ****** choices imo (from where I stand I am well aware they are above average salary), I know I will be working for less than either for a fair while in my chosen work but it is what I want to do and it should pay off in the end (provided training etc goes ok)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.