The Student Room Group

one personal statement?! logic?!

I've recently found out that you can only write one personal statement when applying to university for any particular course. Firstly, i can't see the logic in this system because if you wanted to apply to two different courses your statement would have to be extremely vague.

With that in mind, i was looking for some opinions on whether it was worth trying to apply for both medicine and law - which would mean writing an 'all-round' personal statement rather than a specific one relating to a specific course. Or would i be better off just concentrating on one e.g. medicine, and basing my statement around that?

It may seem obvious at first to go with a specific course, but if there was any hope of trying to apply for both law and medicine i would love to hear about it :smile:

thanks
seems like a weird combo...why not do Medicine first and then a law conversion course afterwards?
Reply 2
Both Law and Medicine are extremely competitve courses with with lots of applicants who aren't split between the two. I'd say you'd be better off sticking with one.
Saying that a guy on here got 4/5 offers writing a personal statement for English and Medicine so...
Law and medicine?

Completely different. I think you need to be completely devoted to studying medicine if you want a chance. So concentrate on one?
At some point you're going to need to decide between law and medicine as you can only go to one university and one course. It may as well be sooner rather than later.
is this an attempt at being revolutionary or something? no malevolence intended, but terrible terrible idea.
Reply 6
Probably to get students to focus on one subject or at least a few related subjects. Say you were to get an offer for both Law and Medicine. You have to decide then which to go for. This is just making your mind up now.
You could maybe (say if you preferred law but still wanted to apply for medicine) use up four of your choices with law and then contact one university and ask if they'd accept a personal statement for medicine. Sometimes they won't let you though, so you'd have to check with the university itself.

But i agree that it's worth trying to decide between them, since both are so competitive and many people can end up with four rejections from either.

Latest

Trending

Trending