Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected this year from Oxford for PPE post interview. I applied for it to do economics and politics but my favourite of the three disciplines has to be economics. In my interview i managed to do really well in my economics interview answering all of the game theory questions logically and got good feedback from the tutors whereas screwed up on Phil. and Politics. Also in the TSA i got 82.7 in problem solving but on 57 in critical thinking.

I am considering re-applying next year and was wondering which course would you recommend: Cambridge - Economics or Oxford Economics and Management. The oxford course is more competitive but more flexible which i find attractive.

Also i was wondering if anyone could recommend any background reading or good books for personal statement/general interest in economics/management.

Thanks very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaddyD15)
    I was rejected this year from Oxford for PPE post interview. I applied for it to do economics and politics but my favourite of the three disciplines has to be economics. In my interview i managed to do really well in my economics interview answering all of the game theory questions logically and got good feedback from the tutors whereas screwed up on Phil. and Politics. Also in the TSA i got 82.7 in problem solving but on 57 in critical thinking.

I am considering re-applying next year and was wondering which course would you recommend: Cambridge - Economics or Oxford Economics and Management. The oxford course is more competitive but more flexible which i find attractive.

Also i was wondering if anyone could recommend any background reading or good books for personal statement/general interest in economics/management.

Thanks very much.
    If you want economics then apply to Cambridge duh. There is no point having a large chunk of your degree that you don't enjoy.

But if you're looking for the best for economics then that could very well be LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easywellyes)
    If you want economics then apply to Cambridge duh. There is no point having a large chunk of your degree that you don't enjoy.

But if you're looking for the best for economics then that could very well be LSE.
    Yeah the only problem with LSE is that i dossed around in year 11 and only got 4A* and 6As.

Also whereas management isn't economics its similar and i believe i will like it just as much also that is partially the reason why i want background reading

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the only problem with LSE is that i dossed around in year 11 and only got 4A* and 6As.
    What a contemptuous statement!

Just apply again for LSE and Cam again next year; re-sit some AS modules if you have to.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we could have swapped!

ReputationRep:

Also whereas management isn't economics its similar and i believe i will like it just as much also that is partially the reason why i want background reading
    Yeah proper dossed around. What were you thinking.

ReputationRep:
    So you believe Cambridge over Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    I wish we could have swapped!
    See you had an interview at LMH, did you enjoy it up there?

ReputationRep:
    See you had an interview at LMH, did you enjoy it up there?
    Yeh it was amazing. You like it?

ReputationRep:
    So you believe Cambridge over Oxford?

LSE>Cambridge>Oxford

Oxford is not seen as good for Economics. LSE is the place to be for Economics, best undergraduate in Europe and top 5 in the world!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it was amazing. You like it?
    Yeh i thought it was incredible. What did you/people you were at interviews with read for management?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    LSE>Cambridge>Oxford

Oxford is not seen as good for Economics. LSE is the place to be for Economics, best undergraduate in Europe and top 5 in the world!
    Do you base this on anything other than hearsay?

Within a large group, 95 percent of all research activities were classified as internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour (3* or better), with 40 percent of activities regarded as world leading (4*). This places Oxford with more 4* research activities in total than any other UK Economics Department, see RAE viewer. Research Fortnight also ranks Oxford Economics first for research power, a measure that takes into account of both the quality and the quantity of research submitted.
    The Department is committed to excellence in teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level. The 2010 Complete University Guide, the 2010 Guardian University Guide and the 2010 Times Good University Guide rank Oxford first in the UK for the study of economics.
    http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/

Though obviously Oxford isn't the place to be if you're looking to study just Economics, since Oxford doesn't offer a straight Economics course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    LSE>Cambridge>Oxford

Do you even know what you are talking about? Both Oxford and LSE are in the top 10 (global rankings - REPEC- made by economists for the economists- takes into account quality of EACH (academic) member of the department! Cambridge is not even in the top 25 most of the times (the rankings are updated every month!)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i thought it was incredible. What did you/people you were at interviews with read for management?
    My management interview went really well, it was my economics one which I screwed up... For management, I read Thinking Strategically which is pretty useful, and a few online things like Honda's stratedy with it's bike entering the US market etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henrykravis)
    Do you even know what you are talking about? Both Oxford and LSE are in the top 10 (global rankings - REPEC- made by economists for the economists- takes into account quality of EACH (academic) member of the department! Cambridge is not even in the top 25 most of the times (the rankings are updated every month!)

I'm talking about undergraduate studies. Cambridge is not good for Postgrad, nor is Oxford. LSE is even better at Postgrad than it is at Undergrad.
    Conclusion: Just apply to LSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henrykravis)
    That is the department as a whole. Not undergraduate.

ReputationRep:
    My management interview went really well, it was my economics one which I screwed up... For management, I read Thinking Strategically which is pretty useful, and a few online things like Honda's stratedy with it's bike entering the US market etc.
    Yeah ad thinking strategically for economics it helped so much in my interview because it was entirely game theory based. I might get some strategic management or something. What did you get in your TSA?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ad thinking strategically for economics it helped so much in my interview because it was entirely game theory based. I might get some strategic management or something. What did you get in your TSA?
    62.6 I think.

Sorry about the sporadic replies, I'm playing Fifa :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected this year from Oxford for PPE post interview.
    I am considering re-applying next year and was wondering which course would you recommend: Cambridge - Economics or Oxford Economics and Management.
    E&M at Oxford is much more competitive than PPE at Oxford.
    If you failed to make the cut for PPE, your chances of getting into E&M are likely to be fairly poor.

I would suggest applying to Economics at Cambridge. It is much less competitive than E&M and you will have a greater chance of getting a place.

That is a problem.
    9A* is considered pretty standard for the Economics course at LSE.
    Try Cambridge. Their Economics course is easier to get into than the corresponding Oxford or LSE courses.

ReputationRep:
    For undergrad I dont think you can distinguish between LSE/Cambridge/Oxford.

For research it would probably be LSE then Oxford then Cambridge basing it on the RAE and REPEC.

edit: I wonder how those 3 stack up against the likes of MIT/Harvard/Chicago/Princeton/etc. in terms of research? Repec says they are not as gd as the ones I have mentioned but are there anymore rankings and how would they compare in terms of 'prestige'?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.