Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to subscribe to one of the nursing magazines for some general reading and keeping up between placements. Anyone reccommed one or the other? Coz they both seem pretty good...

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on your style. If you're saying you're only going to read some issues then I'd go for nursing standard as nursing times seems to have a lot of "partwork" type articles (ie the article carries on over two or more issues) whereas nursing standard tends to be more self contained. If you're going to read all the issues of one I'd maybe go for nursing times as I've found it a little easier to read (though that's just me) - I'd suggest you borrow a few issues of both and then decide...

ReputationRep:
    I'd get neither, the nursing standard is 'ok' in that it's good to keep up with the political style of nursing, however i'd reccomend the british journal of nursing, it's a good academic journal, easy to read articles for students and has applicability in practice, with more reliable research

I'd just avoid the nursing times like the plague- one of my lecturers reckons it's goign to be pulled out this time next year! Nursing times is ok for applicants, but definately not for nursing students 2nd year and above

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, those were the only 2 i'd really heard of but I'll give the other one a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiyo)
    Thanks, those were the only 2 i'd really heard of but I'll give the other one a look

when you come to do EBP or are doing the degree, you'll sort of learn about the hierarchy of journals etc, to use in assignments or reliabilty when reviewing literature etc

ReputationRep:
    I get nursing standard and its really goood

ReputationRep:
    agree with subcutaneous

NT has been declining since the nhs jobs website happened, NT was supported for so long by the amount of advertising income it got

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    agree with subcutaneous

NT has been declining since the nhs jobs website happened, NT was supported for so long by the amount of advertising income it got

Plus have you seen the beyond the bedpan section? absoloute joke, and their 'journal articles' are questionable. Same goes for the nursing standard too, recent article back in the autumn on the use of pro-biotic drinks, sponsered by...activia :rolleyes: most bias report ever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davey jones)
    I think they both represent the appalling state of the profession. Nurse research has lost its way enough, without having to put up with the **** that passes for a nurse journal.
    plenty of good research in good journals ... NT and NS are not good journals , nuff said ...

ReputationRep:
    but they are by far the most read.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.