Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I really want to study Medicine at Oxford but I'm worried that my relatively low GCSE grades (4A*s, 8As) will stop me getting an interview. If I secure As in my AS exams do you think I still stand some chance of getting in?
    I hear that they concentrate on gcse grades and bmat results when selecting candidates for interview - do your AS results have more bearing?

Any tips would be grateful

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Its doable, and I know people in my year who got less, just no walk in the park by any means. You will need a top notch BMAT score along with (it goes without saying really) straight As at AS.

They use some sort of algorithm to select interview candidates (widely speculated how this is weighted) based heavily on BMAT and slightly less on GCSEs. AS grades are relatively unimportant at the stage of getting an interview, but obviously you can damage your chances by not securing straight As

ReputationRep:
    http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...lin/statistics

Read this. The short-listing algorithm is explained on there.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.