Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was just wondering if any1 could rank the different salaries for the different types of jobs at an investment bank, i.e.

Example:
    1) Sales + Trading
    2) IB

40) HR

I was just wondering because I have applied for summer internships in several different positions: ib, s+t, risk management, operations and as there is only information on the salaries of ib and s+t i would like to know how much the other positions pay roughly. Im not sure if there is a massive difference between say IB and risk management.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    are you sure S&T is above IBD?

I don't know but it wasn't the impression I had...

ReputationRep:
    Usually highest paying jobs are M&A and trading with average M&A salary is higher than average trading, while M&A salary not deviating so far from average and trading salary having a high range (with upper percentage way above M&A). Of course M&A salaries are still pretty different from tier 1 to tier 3 companies.

ReputationRep:
    is that graduate or experienced you're talking about... or both?

ReputationRep:
    There's a saying:

The average banker will make more than the average trader, however the best trader will make more than the best banker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    There's a saying:

The average banker will make more than the average trader, however the best trader will make more than the best banker.
    Yep maybe true pre-crunch. But you will find that since 08, IBD has dried up with pretty terrible packages e.g. for graduate analysts with <50% bonus in a few banks, where traders (flow) have benefitted in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, IBD and S&T first-year analysts get paid the same amount.

ReputationRep:
    same base salary for IBD and S&T. But bonus varries.

This year, the starting salaries are above £40k on average. Some boutiques pay starting salaries well above the average though...

ReputationRep:
    For the first few years it matters more in what bucket you are (assuming S&T ranks their analysts in the same way) rather than whether you are in S&T or IBD. A top in one will get a bigger bonus than the bottom in the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    For the first few years it matters more in what bucket you are (assuming S&T ranks their analysts in the same way) rather than whether you are in S&T or IBD. A top in one will get a bigger bonus than the bottom in the other.
    for an analyst who's rated top tier, what bonus should he expect to get (as a % of base)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy87)
    for an analyst who's rated top tier, what bonus should he expect to get (as a % of base)?
    I really can't say. Last year's (2009) numbers were understandably low. I definately know a guy who in 2007 (when he was a first year analyst) got £70k all in (he told me he was in a top bucket). Don't know if that's "good" or not, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    I really can't say. Last year's (2009) numbers were understandably low. I definitely know a guy who in 2007 (when he was a first year analyst) got £70k all in (he told me he was in a top bucket). Don't know if that's "good" or not, tbh.
    In 2007 I guess that'd mean he got 100% bonus. If that translated to today you'd be looking at roughly 90k.

However, it probably won't unless you're top of your analyst class - and it might be deferred/paid proportionally more in stock these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    In 2007 I guess that'd mean he got 100% bonus. If that translated to today you'd be looking at roughly 90k.

However, it probably won't unless you're top of your analyst class - and it might be deferred/paid proportionally more in stock these days.

That aint never gonna happen for analysts, associates or even VPs. All bonuses are in cash, particularly at the junior level. All the media hype you heard about stock/deferred compensation is meant for senior bankers (MDs/Group Heads/Partners/Executive Committees/etc)

As for bonuses, I would be surprised if a 1st year IBD analyst ranked top tier would get 100% bonus. Also what you need to take in consideration, besides your tier, is how well did your group do. You might be ranked top tier but if you are part of a group with no dealflow, then I would highly doubt you're gonna get same comp as a top tier in a group with good dealflow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy87)
    That aint never gonna happen for analysts, associates or even VPs. All bonuses are in cash, particularly at the junior level. All the media hype you heard about stock/deferred compensation is meant for senior bankers (MDs/Group Heads/Partners/Executive Committees/etc)

As for bonuses, I would be surprised if a 1st year IBD analyst ranked top tier would get 100% bonus. Also what you need to take in consideration, besides your tier, is how well did your group do. You might be ranked top tier but if you are part of a group with no dealflow, then I would highly doubt you're gonna get same comp as a top tier in a group with good dealflow.
    I'm a trader so thinking more about comp for that really.

BarCap deferring all bonuses for 3 years, ft saying top execs 100%, senior 75%, and junior 50%. So at BarCap at least you could well be affected.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into investment banking. What is the best course to apply for at uni if this is the route i want to take? What grade requirements would i need to get and is work experience required?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avi_isgr8)
    I want to go into investment banking. What is the best course to apply for at uni if this is the route i want to take? What grade requirements would i need to get and is work experience required?

Thanks
    1) there's stuff all over the forums already, search for it
    2) there's a sticky
    3) was there any need to bump this one specific thread? which also happens to be on a totally different topic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)

pre-credit crisis, top bucket IB analysts in the USA across the entire spectrum (BB, MM, boutique) received 100% bonuses for total comp of 120-130k USD for a first year.

last year, a lot of the BBs suffered, but several MMs were still able to pay out 100% bonuses to their analysts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avi_isgr8)

Thanks
    Read this thread. This is also helpful, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verne_Lundquist)

last year, a lot of the BBs suffered, but several MMs were still able to pay out 100% bonuses to their analysts.
    like who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    like who?
    BMO Capital Markets, Houlihan Lokey to name a couple

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.