Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As I said, throughout my alevel course, I have found biology mind-numbingly boring. And the batch of bad teachers probably didnt help with this (one got fired at christmas because he was incompetent & the other does not plan lessons, and her lessons just depress me in general).

It seems like that the subject is all about reading static texts and memorising the concepts behind them- not exactly stimulating.

I am praying that Medicine isnt like this, because I really dont want to spend my time learning and doing somethiing that I won't enjoy. So current med students, is medicine in university anything like alevel biology??

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they are completely different.

We study loads of plants etc.... I'm sure that won't come up much in medicine *bar the occasional gardening experiment of course*. Biology at school is boring and it is memorizing. But isn't medicine a lot of memorizing also? So you gotta be prepared...

ReputationRep:
    Not at all... yes, medicine IS fundamentally about learning lots and lots of facts, but from what I have seen in my bro's work it is nothing like studying for your A Levels... for example, medics don't have to sit exams about shrews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    Not at all... yes, medicine IS fundamentally about learning lots and lots of facts, but from what I have seen in my bro's work it is nothing like studying for your A Levels... for example, medics don't have to sit exams about shrews.
    I see this cropping up here a lot? What's with the shews? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    I'm not one of those complaining about it, but in our recent biology exam basically half of it was about shrews and had nothing at all with what we had revised for, but I'm okay with that, seeing as though I hardly revised

ReputationRep:
    I don't do medicine but I have a few friends who say the work isn't really that difficult there's just loads and loads of stuff to learn, which kind of goes without saying really.

ReputationRep:
    it was on the news... students complaining about the AQA biology exam, questioning its relevance to what they have learnt.

ReputationRep:
    lol please do not worry about it.....maybe you can a lil when it's human bio but I think it's a given that your gonna get bored of global warming, natural selection etc
    so just worry about the grades (you don't need passion for them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NowBor)
    I don't do medicine but I have a few friends who say the work isn't really that difficult there's just loads and loads of stuff to learn, which kind of goes without saying really.
    Its not so much the workload that im worried about, I'd be happy doing plenty of work for something that I enjoy learning about.

It's that I dont find most of the alevel Content interesting at all, even things about the human body like how DNA works, or blood glucose levels are kept stable....

ReputationRep:
    So ask yourself...what do you find interesting about medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_a_y)
    Its not so much the workload that im worried about, I'd be happy doing plenty of work for something that I enjoy learning about.

It's that I dont find most of the alevel Content interesting at all, even things about the human body like how DNA works, or blood glucose levels are kept stable....
    Well, you do learn SOME biochemistry behind it, but I am sure that would not get in the way of everything else medicine has to offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    So ask yourself...what do you find interesting about medicine?
    I couldnt tell you. I guess I was interested at the idea of learning how to diagnose, communicate with patients & generally helping them to have a better quality of life.

EDIT: I have always wanted to be a psychiatrist, to understand how the mind works and things that could go wrong with it...I find the brain completely fascinating... But alot of the other biochemistry doesnt hold a lot of interest for me...

ReputationRep:

Ask yourself, why did you want to study medicine in the first place?

ReputationRep:

Sounds like you won't enjoy it then. You'll basically be learning everything about how the body works. What do you enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    it was on the news... students complaining about the AQA biology exam, questioning its relevance to what they have learnt.
    Ahhh right... I'm curious, what were the questions about?

I thought the 'shrew' was just one of those examples used a lot in questions/textbooks like finches/drosophlia etc...

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh right... I'm curious, what were the questions about?

I thought the 'shrew' was just one of those examples used a lot in questions/textbooks like finches/drosophlia etc...
    not sure.. i think the shrew question was quite a few marks, so ppl were outraged about it. Try googling? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

im just guessing here but i think medicine is about the human body

do psycology at uni and train to be a clinical psycologist.

ReputationRep:
    nah you will be fine, i find biology boring too (exept when we did the heart and lungs in unit 1), unit 2 is incredibly boring - just concentrate on getting the A

God I hope so. I don't care how many ******* woodlouse are on the ******* forest floor damn it! :mad: As you can see my last biology lesson irritated me slightly. :p:

ReputationRep:
    As I said, throughout my alevel course, I have found biology mind-numbingly boring. And the batch of bad teachers probably didnt help with this (one got fired at christmas because he was incompetent & the other does not plan lessons, and her lessons just depress me in general).

It seems like that the subject is all about reading static texts and memorising the concepts behind them- not exactly stimulating.

I am praying that Medicine isnt like this, because I really dont want to spend my time learning and doing somethiing that I won't enjoy. So current med students, is medicine in university anything like alevel biology??

it depends why you find it boring..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.