Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The law is reason free from passion."

- Aristotle

Yes, I did get that from Legally Blonde.

Do you agree?

In the context of the UK, I disagree. The legislation with regards to terrorism seems very knee-jerk, which is a passionate response by the legislature. There are also others.

Maybe it should be:

"The law should be reason free from passion."

But, does this work? If enough people are disgusted with murderers and rapists receiving lenient sentences, should the legislature not respond to this outrage? Is that a passionate or reasoned response?

ReputationRep:
    often people are passionate about what is reasonable, and I would say this is the case with the publics opinion on the sentencing of murderers and rapists. Although specifically here, I don't think its the law that is wrong, it is the judiciary and our over-filled prison system that are causing leniant sentences.
    Generally I agree with you though, the law should be based on reason rather than on the whim of any goverment, although this doesn't seem to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    The law should not change based on media-instigated reactions.

Sadly, it isn't free from passion, because most of the voting public are idiots and politicians want to stay in power.

ReputationRep:
    passion is the wrong word

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the question.

ReputationRep:
    I can't take this seriously. All I can see is this image:

ReputationRep:
    I wish passion played a part. Maybe that way they would legalise assisted suicide.

ReputationRep:
    The terrorism legislation you're referring to (I assume TA 2000, in response to the Omagh bombing) was passed very quickly. Indeed, it was about 3 days IIRC- a short time for such lengthy legislation. That said, it's not evidence enough for me that it was driven by passion. A passion to put laws in place, perhaps. Moreso, for me, it was just a hasty and ill-thought out response to a situation that required responding to.

ReputationRep:
    To resurrect an old thread. I want to use this quote in my dissertation, and sincerely hoping my lecturer hasn't seen Legally Blonde because otherwise the seriousness of my essay is going to go downhill fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    To resurrect an old thread. I want to use this quote in my dissertation, and sincerely hoping my lecturer hasn't seen Legally Blonde because otherwise the seriousness of my essay is going to go downhill fast.
    Just make sure the paper on which you write your dissertation isn't pink and perfumed.

ReputationRep:
    It should be written "The law is reason, free from passion." Because I think the quote means The law is reason, if you commit murder for any reason you've still broken the law, except for self-defence. For example if a girl about my age(14 years old)was about to get raped, she should be entitled to try and save herself without being punished.

Free from passion means the law shouldn't be based on passion because passion can be selfish, passion is based on what you want or want to happen, there are so many definition for passion.

When you hear it first you don't understand why Aristotle would make such a quote but when you read it and say it a few times, you start to understand the meaning and the reason why murderers and rapist should serve their sentence because the law is too lenient.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.