Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The best I heard are as follows:

Nottingham Law School

BPP

College of Law

Just to be clear, is this Nottingham law school (Trent)?...not University of Nottingham.

Between BPP v College of Law, which would you suggest, I want to be a barrister.

Last point, BPP do a masters in conjunction to the BVC, would that be a good idea?...I would prefer to do it from Birmingham or Warwick, because of their leading reputation.

So Masters BPP v Masters (Birmingham or Warwick)

So what do you guys think, thanks in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    Have you even started studying law yet? I thought you hadn't started your degree yet.

ReputationRep:
    I am a law student at Birmingham, I will be graduating quite soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusbarr)

Nottingham Law School

BPP

College of Law

Just to be clear, is this Nottingham law school (Trent)?...not University of Nottingham.

Between BPP v College of Law, which would you suggest, I want to be a barrister.

Last point, BPP do a masters in conjunction to the BVC, would that be a good idea?...I would prefer to do it from Birmingham or Warwick, because of their leading reputation.

Nottingham Law School is indeed part of Trent. It's worth noting that NLS is now offering a London course. One distinguishing aspect is that only 60 people will be admitted, which is why I applied, preferring the idea of a small, competent cohort. I will be attending the selection day later this month, so can provide initial thoughts after that.

I think the general consensus is that the name of your provider doesn't dramatically affect your chances of pupillage of itself, although it seems logical that if one provider teaches in a way you prefer, you may get more from the course and therefore a better grade or perform better at interview. BPP has a reputation for being more 'hardcore' than the others, which may or may not appeal. I would recommend attending open days and coming to your own conclusion.

On the LLM subject, SMQC's view is that only a handful of these degrees add to your pupillage prospects. My own opinion is that the 'BPTC add on' degrees are particularly likely to be seen as less than useful - it's purely a case of can you afford the extra and do the extra modules. Obviously there's nothing wrong with study for its own sake if that's what you like.

As noted above, it's wise to consider the practical chances of pupillage before handing over the £15K + , if you definitely want to practise at the independent Bar. I've certainly spent a lot of time weighing up pros and cons!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the comment, but I want to practice in the Midlands, I don't want to go to the City, it does not appeal to me (the hectic lifestyle and all that).

So would you advise for me to do my BVC at BPP or CoL, and masters from Birmingham or Warwick?

Thanks again guys.

ReputationRep:
    So would you advise for me to do my BVC at BPP or CoL, and masters from Birmingham or Warwick?
    Your BVC provider is irrelevant.
    Do your BVC wherever you like.
    But do your Masters at somewhere reputed like Oxford.
    As Myerson has pointed out in excruciating detail, unless your masters is the BCL, it is not likely to make a significant difference.

If you cannot gain admission to the BCL , then Cambridge is probably worth considering.
    For the Bar, even a LLM from second tier places like LSE, UCL and KCL seems to be worthless.
    Avoid third tier places like Birmingham and Warwick for the LLM, if you aspire to the Bar.
    Your time is better spent obtaining experience or volunteering.

ReputationRep:

Nottingham Law School

BPP

College of Law

Why else would you be doing a BVC?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham Law School - they have the best pupillage rates of any provider.

Almost twice the national average.

ReputationRep:
    Careful not to conflate correlation and causation. Do they have better pupillage because they add something to their candidates' applications, or do they somehow attract a better standard of applicant? Especially pertinent as many pupils, especially the best applicants, secure their pupillages while in their final undergrad year or GDL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedw)
    Careful not to conflate correlation and causation. Do they have better pupillage because they add something to their candidates' applications, or do they somehow attract a better standard of applicant? Especially pertinent as many pupils, especially the best applicants, secure their pupillages while in their final undergrad year or GDL.
    Having a higher calibre cohort is likely to be beneficial for all the students though in any case, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Get an offer of a pupillage before wasting a year and 20K on the BVC.
    Since you are at Birmingham, the chances of pupillage will be much lower
    than for the usual applicants from Ox, Cam, LSE or UCL.
    I think I should point out that the numbers gaining pupillage pre BVC are minute. Had a mini this week and spoke to a young chancery tenant and he said that on his first day at city 5 people had pupillage already.

The vast majority get pupillage during or post the BVC.

The question is: is this because they are 'better' then [more time to do ECs etc], or is it because chambers somehow prefer those who are on the BVC / have completed it [perhaps just because that's the group they usually recruit from].

The problem is, if it's the latter reason it's very hard to assess one's pupillage chances pre-BVC.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I think that is pretty much the case, I spoke to a barrister recently from Brick court, he told me not to expect a pupillage until I am 24+, simply because the students are not mature enough, baring in mind that clients do not want to be represented by 'kids,' unfair but there is a point.

Also a career at the Bar, is by far the toughest, everyone is nearly equal, so to oust your peer you need to be exceptional, those that get it, in the 3rd year are truly exceptional, and deserve credit.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.