Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have decided to study ACCA part time at a college in London. But according to the ACCA website that still leaves me with 13 "Gold" or better rated options (plus the University of Westminster, which I am not considering as I want to start studying now and I have already been to university).

Three have "Platinum" ACCA ratings, but I don't know if that counts for much, plus some of the others, like London School of Business and Finance, I have actually heard of. It would be much appreciated if anyone could give me some advice to narrow this list down – it's not easy to decide!

So: Can anyone please suggest which of London colleges have the best reputations with employers, and why?

I have spoken to a few people in recruitment and to a couple of older accountants but they didn't happen to know about this. I am especially keen to hear from working accountants or those who are already studying at one of these colleges.

Many thanks.

Gold/Platinum ACCA Colleges, London
    Kaplan
    BPP
    First Intuition
    eCollege
    London College of Accountancy
    7City Learning
    City of London College
    London Crown College
    Hammersmith Management College
    London School of Management
    Goldsmith International Business School
    Maritime Greenwich College
    London School of Business and Finance

(University of Westminster)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in London but I've studied and still do study at BPP in Bristol and I'm very happy with the tuition they provide.

Some people at work have used Kaplan in the past (again at Bristol) but the general consesnus at our place is BPP for ACCA and Kaplan for ACA.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, thanks. I did hear the teaching at BPP was good. It hadn't occurred to me that different colleges were better for different qualifications.

Another thing that makes choosing harder is how somewhere like London College of Accountancy works out at nearly half the price of BPP – I hope that difference is justified by the course quality.

Does anyone else have any experiences with another college?

ReputationRep:
    I am also not in London - but I think this is generally quite a difficult question to answer as different places have different strengths and weaknesses plus in terms of comparison most people will probably have only been to one max. three.

If possible try to attend an open day. All of the colleges will claim they have high pass rates and are really good etc. but the learning materials that they use will be broadly similar.

I have been to both BPP and Kaplan - I thought the tutors for both were very good though I thought the BPP lecturer was a bit too informal.

Also you will have some study that you will need to do in your own time so try and pick somewhere that isn't too far away as that extra travelling time could be spent studying

BPP and Kaplan are expensive - which is a bit strange as they are so big so you would think they would be able to offer lower prices due to economies of scale etc. but at the same time outside of London they don't really have much competition.

If you are willing to set enough time aside to do personal study and you like the tutors then I think you would probably be fine with one of the cheaper providers than shelling out for BPP/Kaplan

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the extra advice, and sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm glad you've been to both BPP and Kaplan, the services they offer are virtually identical so its good to know they both have strong teaching.

Your talk of using every minute possible to study is something I've heard other people mention – I think studying accounting is going to be quite exhausting, but I hope that'll be made up for once I've qualified.

I'm currently thinking that I'll stick with BPP or Kaplan for most of the course, but will occasionally give others a try, perhaps just for the revision sessions at first. And I'll go to one or two open days as well.

Anyone else with comments about colleges is welcome to share.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.