The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would the manager lie?
Reply 2
Differences between manager and person...
Reply 3
I see no reason for them to lie.
It seems much more probable that an applicant has embellished the truth too much and the manager does not agree with it.
Translation: Oh hai guys, I lied on my CV and got an offer from both Citi and JPM. Do you know which of their background checks is less likely to discover my lie?
Reply 5
Background checks are designed to make sure you don't lie. If you did lie, then I hope you get blacklisted

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23395341&postcount=1

You sound pretty shady tbh. I wouldn't employ you.
Reply 6
I wouldn't employ anyone who has been caught cheating!

I didn't realise the stuff until Smtn's post... so there's something wrong/iffy with a) Your extra curriculars b) your academic history c) your employment history... either background check will catch it .
Reply 7
yummy_baby
Does anyone know who does the background checking for JPM or Citigroup and how thorough it is? (Kroll, CRG etc?)

Is it true that they copy whatever you said your job description was and send that to your manager to verify?

If so, what happens if your manager's a bitch and says "no he didn't that?"

I don't think you can call the manager being a "bitch" when you have integrity problems.
Reply 8
I'm sorry you guys feel like that....
Reply 9
onthecoast
I wouldn't employ anyone who has been caught cheating!

I didn't realise the stuff until Smtn's post... so there's something wrong/iffy with a) Your extra curriculars b) your academic history c) your employment history... either background check will catch it .

Employment and Academic History yes, but are JP Morgan really going to take the time to see if you really did organise a cake-sale when you were 15?
Reply 10
I have been offered grad position with IB, and am awaiting background checks. Does anyone think it will be a problem that three or four of my degree modules are a few per cent out? Overall the discrepencies understate my degree performance, I did not have all the grades to hand when applying as I graduated a few years ago, also it would have taken 3 long weeks to get them from the uni so I approximated the few I didn't exactly remember. It just depends how pedantic they are on how accurate the information was, although I have informed them of the errors before they will check it.
Reply 11
Well it is technically lying...
But I think you should maybe ok provided you didn't say you had firsts when in fact it was really a 2:1....
Reply 12
onthecoast
Well it is technically lying...
But I think you should maybe ok provided you didn't say you had firsts when in fact it was really a 2:1....

Surely your university has some kind of online results thing which shows you your attainments in previous years exams? If not, as long as you didnt change the grade of the unit and given that you have notified them, then all should be fine.

As for the OP.. dodgy ground. the cheating thing is huge.
Reply 13
El_Hadji84
I have been offered grad position with IB, and am awaiting background checks. Does anyone think it will be a problem that three or four of my degree modules are a few per cent out? Overall the discrepencies understate my degree performance, I did not have all the grades to hand when applying as I graduated a few years ago, also it would have taken 3 long weeks to get them from the uni so I approximated the few I didn't exactly remember. It just depends how pedantic they are on how accurate the information was, although I have informed them of the errors before they will check it.

That is fine as long as you informed them honestly with reason why and that it did not change the actual degree classification. Can't see them make big deal out of it.
Good luck OP I'm sure you'll be fine, do they do background checks after giving offers then?
Reply 15
No, the scores in question were all within the same grades. I also told HR to expect this and explained my reasoning. I just really hope that they don't punish me for not having my module results to hand, to wait 3 weeks would surely have put me at a big disadvantage, and I was not able to get the results earlier as I was out of the country for two years. The Uni doesn't give out grades apart from official transcripts taking 3 weeks and £8 payment.
Reply 16
redbuthotter
..... do they do background checks after giving offers then?

Always expect that:wink:

To El Hadji: I think you are worrying too much tbh if you have already explained them and it does sound reasonable in my view.
I've never had a background check done on me (to my knowledge), and I'm on my second internship... weird.
^^ I've only had one to my knowledge over four internships and that was for UBS and conducted by Kroll. I assume the others just did one without telling me.
Reply 19
Guess it is different for internships, you may be right... though they don't have to tell you always to do the reference check especially for internships. I remembered my internship also lacked background checks but pretty sure they did it without telling me... but the full time offers I received all had quite strict background checks.

Latest

Trending

Trending