The Student Room Group

Deciding between offers, Exeter vs Bath

Poll

Exeter or Bath?

Hello.

I have gotten unconditional offers from University of Exeter and University of Bath (for economics with an option for a placement year to work or study abroad) and now i have to decide which one to accept. Since I am from Sweden i don't know that much about which one has the best reputation and that's why I need your help:smile: At the moment I am leaning towards Exeter because I have just gotten a better feel for the university. Im gonna go to Exeter:s open day in a couple of weeks but i won't be able to attend Bath:s.

I would be very grateful for some constructive advice one which uni to choose. plz motivate:smile:

Reply 1
Bath, hands down.
x_LiNk_x
Bath, hands down.

Any reasons why?
Reply 3
David_Lindstrom_89
Hello.

I have gotten unconditional offers from University of Exeter and University of Bath (for economics with an option for a placement year to work or study abroad) and now i have to decide which one to accept. Since I am from Sweden i don't know that much about which one has the best reputation and that's why I need your help:smile: At the moment I am leaning towards Exeter because I have just gotten a better feel for the university. Im gonna go to Exeter:s open day in a couple of weeks but i won't be able to attend Bath:s.

I would be very grateful for some constructive advice one which uni to choose. plz motivate:smile:

I wouldnt know much about the actual difference and quality of the Economics course. But overall reputation, i think Bath will edge Exeter. I have been to the uni couple of times and was even meant to start this year. I loved the uni because it wasnt exactly huge uni in comparison to others but it was good size and the thing was it felt like a uni as it was closed and you got that uni feel. The campus itself was very nice and had a lot of facilities..
Nightlife isnt great in Bath tbh if you are bothered about it but it has Bristol literally near by which must be awesome..

Cant tell you anything about Exeter though sorry
Reply 4
David_Lindstrom_89
Hello.

Bath is actually not very far, you might catch a train from Exeter which would only take about an hour and half to get there, and then do an independent visit? It'd be easier if you have chance to see both and make your decision.

Bath is seen as a better university overall, but the difference between them is negligible in my opinion. And I don't like the city of Bath for some reason, lovely but boring I think. I'd go for Exeter after all.
Reply 5
David what grades did you have from gymnasiet? I am also from Sweden =)
Reply 6
David_Lindstrom_89
Hello.

When you come to the UK visit Bath as well. As Andy said it is close enough to Exeter to visit. And personal direct experience is critical.

But I would rate Bath above Exeter. Bath has a stronger history than Exeter (e.g. Exeter is not that selective
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19263807&postcount=29) and I would go for Bath:
Reply 7
David_Lindstrom_89
Hello.

Well I am biased because I go bath, so I wont comment on nightlife/campus/general student life. But in terms of reputation/difficulty of offers and graduate employment bath is much better than exeter e.g

Average Tariff score for economics:
Bath-450
Exeter-390

Those employed with graduate job for economics (Unistats):
Bath-93%
Exeter-66%

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2009-2010 (General):
Bath-7th
Exeter-Not in the top 20

Average Starting Salary for Economics Graduates:
Bath: 26.8K
Exeter:22.8K

Complete University Guide (General Rankings):
Bath-9th
Exeter-19th

Times University Guide (General Rankings):
Exeter-9th
Bath-13th

I wouldn't really trust the economics specific tables as they can be swayed by student satisfaction(especially the times one) or the guardian one in general so i won't include them.
neo383
David what grades did you have from gymnasiet? I am also from Sweden =)

20.0 While studying samhälle-ekonomi.
For economics Bath is better, but Exeter is in a lovely area.

Just depends what's important to you

<3
Coming from an Exeter student i would say Bath for sure, reasons:

1.Exeter is in Devon which has one of the lowest employment rates in UK and in this regard it affects the Uni in its grad prospects coupled with the fact alot of students stay living in the area (because its very nice place to live no doubt)
2. The economics course is a Ba which has stigmas attached to it such as 'its not as mathematical as a Bsc' which isnt true.
3. Exeter is up and coming, it used to be ranked extremely low due to have many departments not performing however they have since closed them down hence the rise in the league tables.
4. Currently has lower average tarrif.
Reply 11
I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between exeter and bath for economics with the placement year. I loved exeter when I went and they are just in the middle of building a brand new economics building, it should be finished by the beginning of the next year, which will improve the buisness school (and its going to look amazing!). But I haven't been to bath yet.
j_torrance
I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between exeter and bath for economics with the placement year. I loved exeter when I went and they are just in the middle of building a brand new economics building, it should be finished by the beginning of the next year, which will improve the buisness school (and its going to look amazing!). But I haven't been to bath yet.

certainly visit bath first, ive heard its a nice place too.
Reply 13
hey,
ive managed to get a conditional from exeter(AAB), leeds(AAB), liverpool(ABB) and newcastle(ABB) for BA in Business Economics. i am really confused about which one to make my firm.
i know exeter is very high on the rankings for economics, but i have heard its a small place and i would honestly want to go a town like cardiff.
is exter like cardiff, or is cardiff better?
which university should i make my firm and insurance??
Reply 14
David_Lindstrom_89
Hello.

I would say Bath, mainly because the department is much stronger, the course is more quantitative (I’m ignoring the BA/BSc aspect and simply focusing on the actual content taught in the mathematics modules), and also while both Bath and Exeter are lovely places, Bath does have Bristol close by which would be great for shopping, clubbing, and anything more.
Bath, definitely.
Exeter is much nicer place to live at but for economics placement year triumphs studying abroad

Also, Bath are careerists so you want to do the placement year there and after graduation you'll have an idea of what you want to do and have enough connections to pursue it
Original post by NidaJaffri
Exeter is much nicer place to live at but for economics placement year triumphs studying abroad

Also, Bath are careerists so you want to do the placement year there and after graduation you'll have an idea of what you want to do and have enough connections to pursue it

Nice one Cyril. He will have graduated by now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending