Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have created this topic to discuss the ACA case study July 2010

I request experienced professionals / students who have already passed their ACA case study exams to provide their valuable suggestions, guidance for case study preparation guide.

Can someone please provide how to prepare for case study >?

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly I think I prepared too much. I did all the practice mocks - came top quartile in all of them - then scraped a pass with 51%. I think there is a point where you become so focused talking about what you want to talk about that you miss the big picture (i.e. strategic) points. Probably not what you want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanishka2512)
    Hello, I have created this topic to discuss the ACA case study July 2010

I request experienced professionals / students who have already passed their ACA case study exams to provide their valuable suggestions, guidance for case study preparation guide.

Can someone please provide how to prepare for case study >?

Regards,
    I'm exam-qualified under ICAS rather than the ICAEW, but I think it's safe to say that for any case study paper, the key is practice. Take any possible opportunity to do mocks in exam conditions, and for any papers that are marked make sure that you get feedback from your marker.

Once you've completed a paper, it's crucial to critically review it, work out what you did well and where you could pick up more marks. Once you get closer to the actual exam, I'd suggest going back to your earlier attempts and re-writing them, so you can practice how to implement the principles that you'll cover in the run-up to the paper.

I'll have to leave it to someone doing the ACA rather than CA to confirm the level of technical content in the papers, but my experience (and I would assume that it will be similar with the ACA) is that for the case study you don't necessarily need to know everything in as much detail as you did for the previous technical papers. Instead, it's far more important to have a broad awareness across all of the topics that you've previously covered, so that you can draw on a wide range of areas when you write your answer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I'm an ACA trainee in Pakistan, part of the first batch. There is no real tuition provider here. I've got a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer them.

I've been exempted from everything but the advanced stage since I'm an ACCA affiliate. I plan on taking the exams in July. Still not sure whether I should take all three or leave the case study for November. Any suggestions?

Is it too difficult to pass on a self study basis? I passed most of my ACCA exams through self study, got the highest marks worldwide in a couple of them. But now I'm freaking out. A colleague of mine took the technical integration exams twice last year, failed at both attempts even though he went to Kaplan, London for his tuition. The pass rates don't look too daunting though.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried http://www.emilewoolf.com/ ?

ReputationRep:
    I have actually. Last time I checked they weren't starting a batch because of lack of students.

ReputationRep:
    ICAEW guidance is I think 2 days of preparation on the ACTUAL case. Use this time to read and understand the company and to do some numbers.

The most important aspect of the case study is to make sure finish it including the exec summary. This will give you a great chance of passing.

ReputationRep:
    Any tips a writing a really good executive summary? I find that that is always where things go a bit pear shaped...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wasserman)
    Any tips a writing a really good executive summary? I find that that is always where things go a bit pear shaped...
    This comes from the ICAS case study, but I'd be surprised if the same guidance couldn't apply here... Leave yourself a good chunk of time at the end of the exam to write the case study (we were recommended to leave ~30 minutes out of the 5½ hour total), so that you don't rush it and can order your points. Don't just state facts; rather look to give recommendations - remember that in professional reports the exec summary may be the only part that gets read in some cases. A simple way of covering everything may be to go through the sections of your report and write a bullet or two in your summary for each one, though the success of this relies on you having a well-structured report.

But to reiterate, probably the key point here is to make sure you allow enough to write a strong summary. If you have to cut another section short, I'd suggest doing so - find a way to round it out and move on.

ReputationRep:
    Another resource that may be of help is the industry report written by examstudystar.co.uk to help with understanding the industry the pre-seen is set in.

I echo the points above, writing a strong summary is key, the most important thing in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am also attempting ACS in July 2010. I have read through some of the ICAEW manual and sample scripts. The main emphasis is placed on the understanding the senario and providing a comprehesive analysis. The analysis shall include all below:

Financial Statement Analysis

Financial Data Analysis

Strategic Analysis

and Ethical Review

Further to it, in each of above need to cover A&UI, SP&S, AJ, C&R.

By any chance, if anyother student would like to discuss the advance information on Kreem Ltd for advance information analysis, please post here or pm.

Best rgrds,

UA

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone think of the Kreem exam?

Did you manage to finish it?

How did you tackle Q2?

ReputationRep:
    Personally found it ok. My exec summary was a little rushed but I was still able to complete it and the fact I did it in 15 minutes or so meant it was short and to the point.

Q2 I set up two NPV calc's, the Longmore one was quite a bit better than the Mangold one if I remember correctly. Also did a quick sensitivity analysis of the increase in sales price needed for the Mangold contract to be equal to the Longmore one.

Overall, I'd certainly like to think that was a pass because if it wasn't I'm not sure what is :/

ReputationRep:
    I got exactly the opposite. For me Mangold had a higher NPV with a difference of around £98K which I argued was pretty immaterial and ended up going for Longmore because of other factors.

I guess there is no right answer in this exam and all that matters is how you approach the question and argue your stance.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got Mangold slightly higher but it will always depend on what assumptions you made to get the end figure.

Did you assume costs for the NPV?

Also did they ask for sensitivity in relation to how much selling price will have to fall in each project to make the NPV = 0?

ie NPV of project/NPV of revenue

ReputationRep:
    yeah, think it depends on the assumptions you make. For example I assumed that the Mangold revenue would decrease on a year by year basis (taking the last years decrease and extrapolating this) with a small increase for the increase in list prices in 2012. as long as you made sensible assumptions it shouldn't really matter.

yeah think that was what they were asking with the sensitivity analysis. I just took the approach of seeing what it would have to be for one to equal the other so:

difference in NPV's of projects/NPV of revenue in Mangold project

ReputationRep:
    Ah that sounds like a good approach to take.

How did you get on with q3?

I thought it was really time pressured. Did you address the Jugson (bribary) and Tryphik (animal testing) ethical bits?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.