Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Right, I'm really quite confused, I got a letter from Cambridge (well...Magdalene College) today saying my offer is conditional on a financial guarantee

This isn't as much the issue as is two contradicting sections:

1)

In the offer letter, you will note that we require a financial guarantee of your ability to support
    yourself for the duration of the course, based upon estimated maintenance costs. Provision of
    this guarantee is a condition of our offer to you. This financial guarantee covers three
    components: the University Composition Fee, the College Fee and Maintenance

2)

If 1'ou are not eligible for public support or haye not applied for it, you v,ill be required to
    cornplete Jinartcial guorantee requirentents covering botlt College und L'niversitt' fees

Edit:

On the offer letter:
    3)

In the case of candidate s who are not eligible for public support or who have not opplied for ft we will require a
    guarantee that you have sufficient finances to support your course of study at the college. We will write to such
    candidates about this matter in due course. All other candidates will be required to give details of their Local
    Authority in the UK and confirmation that they are eligible for public support.

Soooo...... firstly what do they want....secondly...has anyone else been asked for a financial guarantee?

ReputationRep:
    Basically, if you're a home student then you need to apply to Student Finance England for a tuition fee loan and send them a copy of the 'Final Notification' which says that you're eligible for support. If you don't actually WANT the loan then it's possible to apply for £0 in loans just to prove that you could have had one if you'd wanted - it means that you don't have to pay the college fee. If you're not a home student, you need to get in touch with Magdalene and ask what they need.

ReputationRep:
    I was asked for it too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.