Turn on thread page Beta

University cuts watch

• View Poll Results: Should university budgets be cut?
    Yes
    24.32%
    No, make cuts somewhere else
    67.57%
    other
    8.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Scrap the MoD, thats a 44bn saving, still got a 140bn deficit...
    oh and 100k people unemployed
    Pulling out of a costly, pointless war in Afghanistan would be a massive saving, and probably increase homeland security on top.

ReputationRep:
    NHS gets 100 billion universities get 8 billion. Where will a cut of 500 million affect more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_K_Dilkington)
    Pulling out of a costly, pointless war in Afghanistan would be a massive saving, and probably increase homeland security on top.
    As I said, 44bn if the dept was closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    But what does that mean? :dontknow: What counts as a less subscribed course?

My first course, two years ago, was German - I got in to 4 out of 5 universities I applied for despite having CDD predicted (and eventually, predicted) grades, none of them were exactly TVU either! Kent's offer to me was BCC, I got CDD but still got in... There were 25 people on my course! As a subject, German is hideously undersubscribed but there's a shortage of teachers and fluent speakers/those with degrees (as with many other languages) and so cutting these courses out would just be detrimental to unis...
    But languages are considered quite a useful degree. Then again, maybe some courses will cut German if they see fit, seeing as it isnt a widely spoken language. I think they'll probably get rid of courses like (to quote some I found on a list last year at college) stained glass window making, business and choreography - and a whole load of other ridiculous combination courses - floristry, circus skills.... there are plenty!

It may also be a case of just cutting numbers for over subscribed courses too, like law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBean123)
    But languages are considered quite a useful degree. Then again, maybe some courses will cut German if they see fit, seeing as it isnt a widely spoken language. I think they'll probably get rid of courses like (to quote some I found on a list last year at college) stained glass window making, business and choreography - and a whole load of other ridiculous combination courses - floristry, circus skills.... there are plenty!

It may also be a case of just cutting numbers for over subscribed courses too, like law.
    So you want to cut courses with too few applicants and also too many applicants? Its sounds ridiculous. So those with too many applicants get cut, then there will be more applicants per place so logically, you should just close down any popular course because that will be the ultimate result of your idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    So you want to cut courses with too few applicants and also too many applicants? Its sounds ridiculous. So those with too many applicants get cut, then there will be more applicants per place so logically, you should just close down any popular course because that will be the ultimate result of your idea.
    I never said it's what I wanted, its just what is likely. Not the course itself gets cut, just the numbers of people admitted will be cut. And less popular courses will probably be cut altogether. I'm only repeating what the government says. Goodness me, you should really read things properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBean123)
    I never said it's what I wanted, its just what is likely. Not the course itself gets cut, just the numbers of people admitted will be cut. And less popular courses will probably be cut altogether. I'm only repeating what the government says. Goodness me, you should really read things properly!
    If you say what you mean, it would make it clearer for everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    If you say what you mean, it would make it clearer for everyone
    I did say what I meant. If you look back you will see I said "they'll probably get rid of courses such as...." and "it may be a case of just cutting numbers for oversubscribed courses".

Don't get shirty with me because you chose to skim read.

ReputationRep:
    Both are being cut... my local A & E and maternity ward are planned to go. Professors are also loosing their jobs at my uni. Happy days. And Gordon Brown couldn't bring himself to say the words "cuts" just a few months ago???

And Camersons tories want to increase foreign aid spending by 50%.... errrrrm WTF?!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Cut the budget for mickey mouse degrees. Why should hard working people, like tradesmen, firemen, policemen etc get their healthcare budgets cut so that Jonny Everyteen can continue to get funded through three years of constant parties and no academics and then struggle to get a job at the end of it?

**** New Labour's target of 50% of school leavers in higher education!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.