Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What does this mean "Conservatives freezing public salaries for a year" watch

ReputationRep:
    can any 1 care to explain to me what this means... what does freezing public salary mean? is it that civil servants will get paid less??

Thanks to anyone who can help.

ReputationRep:
    Pay ordinarily increases at the same rate as inflation (i.e. products gradually increase in price, so wages do too). Public workers will have the real value of their wages lowered if the government doesn't increase them year on year.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, as was indicated in the post above, the public sector workers wont be getting a payrise this year if the tories get into power. this will mean their real wage (wage when you take into account inflation) will have gone down

ReputationRep:
    oo.. ok. thanks.x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegaffer91)
    Basically, as was indicated in the post above, the public sector workers wont be getting a payrise this year if the tories get into power. this will mean their real wage (wage when you take into account inflation) will have gone down
    No they will get a rise.

It just means the overall wage bill won't increase.

My pay will still go up 7% as I progress up the pay scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Pay ordinarily increases at the same rate as inflation (i.e. products gradually increase in price, so wages do too). Public workers will have the real value of their wages lowered if the government doesn't increase them year on year.
    No, their pay will go up still, unless their are at the top of their band and don't get a promotion.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be fooled. There are a hell of a lot of non-jobs in the public sector, as well as very generous pensions on offer. Don't feel sorry for 'em.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Don't be fooled. There are a hell of a lot of non-jobs in the public sector, as well as very generous pensions on offer. Don't feel sorry for 'em.
    Just as in the private sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Just as in the private sector.
    Public sectors earn more money for the work that they do, and have more generous pensions. There is a gulf between the two sectors which should really be adjusted when we have a deficit, rather than squeezing the unis for all they've got...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Public sectors earn more money for the work that they do, and have more generous pensions. There is a gulf between the two sectors which should really be adjusted when we have a deficit, rather than squeezing the unis for all they've got...
    So their should be an adjustment in the public sector rather than squeezing unis?

Can you not see the flaw in the logic there...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So their should be an adjustment in the public sector rather than squeezing unis?

I mean in terms of civil servants, local government etc.

I realise that universities are public sector obviously, but the government should be focusing on other areas which can clearly afford to take a hit..

ReputationRep:
    I mean in terms of civil servants, local government etc.

I realise that universities are public sector obviously, but the government should be focusing on other areas which can clearly afford to take a hit..
    Ahhh right.

Central Gov can't decide the wage bill in local govt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

We're talking about public sector pay aren't we? Not the budgets of certain departments, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Ahhh right.

Central Gov can't decide the wage bill in local govt...
    But they can surely drive efficiency in local govt? Tell them to save a certain amount of money but retain services will inevitably lead them to cut wages and drive up productivity out of necessity. And central government can cut wages in their departments as well.

ReputationRep:
    But they can surely drive efficiency in local govt? Tell them to save a certain amount of money but retain services will inevitably lead them to cut wages and drive up productivity out of necessity.

And central government can cut wages in their departments as well.
    Not really, Local Gov is a law unto itself.

They could, but won't, it'd be very politically difficult. Just liekt heirs a thread going on asking if the Tories could get rid of devolution. They could but won't.

They've even said they won't make cuts in their first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    We're talking about public sector pay aren't we? Not the budgets of certain departments, etc.
    Sure, I was reading uni budget as a proxy for no cutting lecturers pay. The poster didn't disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Not really, Local Gov is a law unto itself.

They could, but won't, it'd be very politically difficult. Just liekt heirs a thread going on asking if the Tories could get rid of devolution. They could but won't.

They've even said they won't make cuts in their first year.
    Which is what is wrong with politics, something that could be 'politically difficult' is avoided even though it is the right course of action. Politicians talk about tough choices but I haven't seen any radical proposals just yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Sure, I was reading uni budget as a proxy for no cutting lecturers pay. The poster didn't disagree.
    I was referring more to the cutback in uni places, but lecturer pay shouldn't be cut in my opinion either. It's important that we attract the top academics to teach our future money makers. I'd rather hit some of the other areas of the public sector.

ReputationRep:
    Which is what is wrong with politics, something that could be 'politically difficult' is avoided even though it is the right course of action. Politicians talk about tough choices but I haven't seen any radical proposals just yet.
    People wouldn't vote for them if they did. Its like bankers bonuses, politicians are incentivised to do what the majority want, not whats right.

Iraq was politically difficult for example, didn't do Labour many favours did it? Likewise ID cards and tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    I was referring more to the cutback in uni places, but lecturer pay shouldn't be cut in my opinion either. It's important that we attract the top academics to teach our future money makers. I'd rather hit some of the other areas of the public sector.
    So you'd rather have some poorly paid idiot with a 1bn budget for instance?

Blanket cuts (and safe guards) aren't clever IMHO, they need to be far more targeted, but thats not good copy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.