The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ridiculous. I wish the government has an idea and then sticks to it. What happened to wanting 50% of pupils from schools to go on to get a degree?
Competition is high enough as it is already -.-
Reply 3
marlyly
Ridiculous. I wish the government has an idea and then sticks to it. What happened to wanting 50% of pupils from schools to go on to get a degree?

A gigantic budget deficit requiring cuts across the board?
Behold...the British government :borat:
This just shows how much of a poor bullcrap country the UK has become if it can't even provide education to its own nationals on the grounds of financial backing (or lack of it). I feel like I'm in some crappy deprived country (well, the reality is I am in one :rolleyes:) where higher education is now somewhat out of reach.

Such a shame, I personally won't be affected because I've got my offers but to think there could be that many students out there without a place just angers me more than anything.

It's not even that it's because labour's in power, although it is that jackass alistair darling making all these cuts...the reality is that a government is only as good as the country will allow it to be. With labour it's cuts in education, with the other parties there'll still be a deficit but just in other areas and these problems will still be there. Not looking good I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Teebs
A gigantic budget deficit requiring cuts across the board?

Haha, it was rhetorical. It's silly though, isn't 50,000 places like half of the places actually offered and taken up by students last year!?
All the more reason to get in this year!
inb4 "close all ex-poly's"
Reply 8
Good, theres too many people going anyway.
Reply 9
If we stopped funding wastegash courses like 'Engineering' or whatever, we'd save a packet. I'd much rather it was invested into the arts and traditional sciences than that nonsense.
sunpro
If we stopped funding wastegash courses like 'Engineering' or whatever, we'd save a packet. I'd much rather it was invested into the arts and traditional sciences than that nonsense.

Wastegash... :facepalm2:
50,000 cuts, probably centred on unpopular or peripheral courses, is not a huge drop in numbers when spread across all courses at all unis. It's also only in the case that all funding cuts are translated as place cuts that this will happen - more likely that universities will just shut down very small faculties - Leicester is shutting down the German department due to funding issues for such a small department, and some other small, unremarkable departments would probably be the next to go.
Reply 12
well I'm pretty sure that the cuts are going to hit the number of available places on courses like 'surf studies' or 'travel and tourism' first, so the majority of TSR-dwellers have little to fear.
Reply 13
marlyly
Haha, it was rhetorical. It's silly though, isn't 50,000 places like half of the places actually offered and taken up by students last year!?

Nope, over 600,000 people apply to university each year and I think the vast majority of them get places somewhere.
Reply 14
Teebs
Nope, over 600,000 people apply to university each year and I think the vast majority of them get places somewhere.

Hmmm, in that case the Evening Standard / Metro lied! (or I was so tired I misread it...)
Reply 15
Bluelight
Good, theres too many people going anyway.

this

hopefully the next government will scrap all of these ridiculous targets of having 99% of people with PhDs and stop funding all these ex polys and ****
Reply 16
The government should close down the bad universities and expand the existing one. It should also stop the crap courses that some unis offer and increase the numbers taken on reputable courses. Furthermore, the government should reduce the financial burden of higher education and improve the ranking system of unis so the best people go to the best unis.
Reply 17
The whole thing confuses me to be honest. All the media/people are saying different things.. I'll have to look more into this.
Reply 18
Massive Win.
marlyly

Was a stupid and unfeasible idea anyway.

It's a good thing these cuts. These low-end students don't deserve to be at university anyway, in all honesty. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending