Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government cuts could deprive 300,000 of university places in 2010-2011 watch

ReputationRep:
    Those poor people who deserve to get in probably won't get their places now.

I have mine already but it's sad thought. :/ Makes me wonder what it'll be like for my kids in 20/22 years time.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't they cut the NHS budget

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    Why don't they cut the NHS budget
    The NHS is good. Instead they should cut pensions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marlyly)
    Ridiculous. I wish the government has an idea and then sticks to it. What happened to wanting 50% of pupils from schools to go on to get a degree?
    This!
    And I think it's a ridiculous stratagy to deal with recession because less funding means less people with degrees means not enough brains to get us out of the recession!
    Who gives these stupid advices to the goverment? And how can they miss all this when all this is being approves through the system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    The NHS is good. Instead they should cut pensions.
    NHS is bloated pensions aren't

ReputationRep:
    It'll probably be 50,000 who didn't meet their offer, like last year.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion? shoot down this government

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_maddy)
    ...less funding means less people with degrees means not enough brains to get us out of the recession!
    No. There are too many people getting degrees now, similar to A-level 'grade inflation' it just means the degrees are worth less. So less people going is good as it means higher quality control and less non-subjects being supported.

ReputationRep:
    oh well

ReputationRep:
    NHS is bloated pensions aren't

The NHS is bloated but thats not the fault of the NHS but of society and people who do not look after themselves. Tackle these problems and NHS spending goes down.

On the other hand, pension payments are sky high. People should take responsibility for their old age and save when they are young. The state should only step in to save those are really poor and those who have no children to look after them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)

The NHS is bloated but thats not the fault of the NHS but of society and people who do not look after themselves. Tackle these problems and NHS spending goes down.

On the other hand, pension payments are sky high. People should take responsibility for their old age and save when they are young. The state should only step in to save those are really poor and those who have no children to look after them.
    They paid NI for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    well I'm pretty sure that the cuts are going to hit the number of available places on courses like 'surf studies' or 'travel and tourism' first, so the majority of TSR-dwellers have little to fear.
    errrmrmmm surely their hit less profitably courses like chemistry more?

ReputationRep:
    Good to many Students already go to University, which puts a considerable burden on the tax payer while often not improving the skill base of the individuals who go through the system. The number of individuals on laughable courses is astonishing.

ReputationRep:
    They paid NI for that
    National insurance revenue was £98bn for 2009. Still £20bn the government had to cough up. It would be better for the government to abolish national insurance considering that a fair amount of the people that pay it are wealthy enough to fund their own pensions privately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    National insurance revenue was £98bn for 2009. Still £20bn the government had to cough up. It would be better for the government to abolish national insurance considering that a fair amount of the people that pay it are wealthy enough to fund their own pensions privately.
    Right... so where would the money come from?

ReputationRep:
    Just raise the GCSE and A Level standards and money wont be an issue anymore?

ReputationRep:
    Well the budget for sciences has been raised by 10m. One would hope the reduction will hit **** degrees. Not that I want to be a degree snob, but serious. Film studies? Go and do a BTEC/NVQ (not a slur on these qualifications at all).

ReputationRep:
    well, thats 50,000 less people doing flop subjects which have no benefit to anyone, including themsleves...at least now they can actually go and get a job and help the economy or apprentiship or whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    errrmrmmm surely their hit less profitably courses like chemistry more?
    not really - surely it'd go more like "hmm, the country needs chemists, but we don't need people who know the science between surfing. Chemistry will be benefit the country more, so lets stop wasting our money on deadbeats who just go to university to party under the guise of education, and concentrate on the people who actually want to learn and do something worthwhile"
    Or at least I sincerely hope that's the way they'll think...else in 10 years time we'll end up with a severe shortage of key skills and an abundance of idiots who think they deserve everything because they got 2.2s in tourism studies or something equally unnecessary...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    not really - surely it'd go more like "hmm, the country needs chemists, but we don't need people who know the science between surfing. Chemistry will be benefit the country more, so lets stop wasting our money on deadbeats who just go to university to party under the guise of education, and concentrate on the people who actually want to learn and do something worthwhile"
    Or at least I sincerely hope that's the way they'll think...else in 10 years time we'll end up with a severe shortage of key skills and an abundance of idiots who think they deserve everything because they got 2.2s in tourism studies or something equally unnecessary...
    one uni offers thats and its not as if it is a massive course, and there are surfers in this country

if a department can't fill up its course then it face the axe, even if it is chemistry, why will the country benefit more from chemistry grads, when a lot of them leave it once they finish with their degree

why is one dergee useful against another, yet they all gain different skills, even a 2.2 in chem is not going to look good, why can't say english be a soft subject all they do is like 6 -8 hours a week and read books, if your on any dergee you need to read books

cuts are coming not matter what party, depends on how well they hide it, these better places to cut and save money but people just don't care about higher education so its easy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.