Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Government cuts could deprive 300,000 of university places in 2010-2011 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    If we stopped funding wastegash courses like 'Engineering' or whatever, we'd save a packet. I'd much rather it was invested into the arts and traditional sciences than that nonsense.

I can only imagine you are :troll:

ReputationRep:
    This is possibly the worst news i have ever heard, my grades at As weren't spectacular and i'm yet to receive any offers i really don't know what to do if i get rejected from all my unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Yeah. The first year'll probably see tax hikes (they've gotta do something about cutting the deficit they've criticised Labour for creating so much) And then the second year'll see the spending cuts. Cameron's got an evil demon living inside him that just can't wait to reveal itself as a Thatcher-clone.

Thats George Osborne total thatcherite. Cameron is more cautious but much more of a social conservative. Anyway universities should be free, with grants and for the academic elite in our schools and sixth form colleges. More emphasis on work based training, professional qualifications that can be done in local colleges for the rest, and looking at areas we lack workers so we don't have to rely on foreign workers. 50 percent in university was retarded and a good example of left wing thinking without looking at practical issues, and a cunning plan to massage youth unemployment figures, in a similar bent to getting people on disability so they cant be counted as seeking work.

ReputationRep:
    If we stopped funding wastegash courses like 'Engineering' or whatever, we'd save a packet. I'd much rather it was invested into the arts and traditional sciences than that nonsense.
    You what?

How are the arts subjects less important to a country massively in debt than engineering? Who's likely to earn more - an engineering grad with an advanced knowledge of physics/maths/electronics etc etc etc, or an english grad who can quote and explain every work of shakespeare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Thats George Osborne total thatcherite. Cameron is more cautious but much more of a social conservative. Anyway universities should be free, with grants and for the academic elite in our schools and sixth form colleges. More emphasis on work based training, professional qualifications that can be done in local colleges for the rest, and looking at areas we lack workers so we don't have to rely on foreign workers. 50 percent in university was retarded and a good example of left wing thinking without looking at practical issues, and a cunning plan to massage youth unemployment figures, in a similar bent to getting people on disability so they cant be counted as seeking work.
    Yeah that's what worries me about voting for the Tories- the threat of Thatcherism and Cameron's social conservatism- the way he handled a question from a resident of the F&H borough was really appalling, and really dented my opinion of him. We're taught in history about the "paternalistic" views of the Conservatives in the 1800s and how bad it was, but Cameron deosn't even seem to want to care about the lower classes- it's mainly just "middle, middle, middle" in public and behind the scenes "upper, upper, upper".

That said I don't think universitites should be free - the money's got to come from somewhere after all- but I would prefer if tehy were kept at a reasonably affordable level (so say not highr than around £5,000 per year per student). When I say affordable I am of course referring to the ease of paying of the student loans you take out after your degree.

Totally agree with you on the 50% and the attempts by the current government to hide the real unemployment figures, but what else can you expect from the current Labour administration eh?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is not the solution at all. The solution would be to cut government funding for all 'doss' degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Every year there's talk of thousands missing out for whatever reason..I think it's always a big exaggeration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    This is not the solution at all. The solution would be to cut government funding for all 'doss' degrees.
    Defined how?

ReputationRep:
    So what, if you're not good enough to get into university you won't go.

I'm sure half the people there now could do with a long and hard job and not just media studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David.Williamz)
    These low-end students don't deserve to be at university anyway, in all honesty. :yep:
    Yeah, like the ones who can't even spell the names of the Universities they've applied to :rolleyes:

Good. University shouldn't be for everyone, good academics only please.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you getting your figures from OP? According to the first article "up to 300,000 young people could be turned away this year because the government has capped university places", not 50,000 (although I think I'd prefer the latter! )

Anyway, the university places are but one worry, because according to the article the quality of the courses will be badly affected too, which affects everyone, not just applicants.

On a more positive note, it's not all bad:

An extra £10m will go to the teaching of science, technology, engineering and maths, which the government is keen to promote. Hefce said the funds were to support universities "that are shifting the balance of their provision towards these subjects".

In total, universities will receive £7.3bn allocated for teaching, research, building and other activities, £449m less than they expected to get.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, yeah, what use is it? Like Britain is a world leader in high end research and development, or is a world centre for engineering innovation anyway!

Oh wait...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Quady)
    Defined how?
    The same as Hodge defines it: "one where the content is perhaps not as rigorous as one would expect and where the degree itself may not have huge relevance in the labour market".

Probably the best way, since it doesn't discriminate between traditional subjects and newer subjects, sciences and humanities/arts, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Where are you getting your figures from OP? According to the first article "up to 300,000 young people could be turned away this year because the government has capped university places", not 50,000 (although I think I'd prefer the latter! )

Anyway, the university places are but one worry, because according to the article the quality of the courses will be badly affected too, which affects everyone, not just applicants.

On a more positive note, it's not all bad:
    oh no lol
    sorry it is 300,000:eek3: actually,.. i got confused with another article

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redrose_ftw)
    This is possibly the worst news i have ever heard, my grades at As weren't spectacular and i'm yet to receive any offers i really don't know what to do if i get rejected from all my unis
    Simple, if you dont get the grades and cant retake them to get them then simply you have to accept that your not an academic and probably will never be. Just choose a vocational career path.

Sorry but not everyone is cut out to be rocket scientists!!!

(Original post by SugaSuga)
    :eek:

i read about it on a newspaper today,... and for some reason i still dont believe it.
    Im already in uni, but i feel sorry for all those students who might not get a place.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...udgets-slashed

sorry i wrote 50,000 yesterday... but its actually 300,000:rolleyes:

What are your thoughts/ opinions ?
    Just to point out, the article says that 300,000 IN TOTAL could be turned away, not 300,000 because of budget cuts. Plenty of people are turned away regardless.

University chiefs have warned that up to 300,000 young people could be turned away this year because the government has capped university places.

Smith said: "Last year, about 160,000 students who applied didn't end up going to university. This year, we already know there are about another 75,000 applying for university. There will be a lot of students who do not get a place at university."
    Since 160,000 were being rejected anyway, and there are 75,000 extra applicants (presumably that would need a budge increase to accomodate), then the latest budget cuts are depriving 65,000 people of places, not 300,000.

300,000 - 160,000 - 75,000 = 65,000

(Original post by warrenpenalver)
    Simple, if you dont get the grades and cant retake them to get them then simply you have to accept that your not an academic and probably will never be. Just choose a vocational career path.

Sorry but not everyone is cut out to be rocket scientists!!!
    I think you're going to have to accept that you're not an academic and probably never will be, and that you're not cut out to be a rocket scientist either. diddums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Yeah, like the ones who can't even spell the names of the Universities they've applied to :rolleyes:
    I didn't know spelling constituted 'lower end students'; interesting view point :fight:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    :wtf:

No, not really. Not spelling the name of a traditional, red-brick university does not render the successful applicant to such an institution a "lower-end student".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.