The Student Room Group

Colleges face adult courses funding cut

I can't say I'll be weeping into my pillow over this news. Fair enough if they were cutting subjects like A-level Physics etc, but this just means that fewer old ladies will be able to go and do 'a course' in icing-sugar flower-making. I'm of the personal opinion that if you want to further your education, that it should A-levels/IB or you can take a hike. I don't mind people marying around per se saying 'Lolz I dO cHiLdCaRe AnD FiNgS' but I don't think my taxes should fund that piffle. We should focus on furthering the intelligence of our own population, and bring in migrants from Africa/Asia to do the low-end jobs that those 'courses' train people for. Maybe this recession is good in a way, because it will stop these time-wasters wasting their own time and my money on wastegash courses.

What do you think of it all?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8493128.stm
Reply 1
sunpro
I can't say I'll be weeping into my pillow over this news. Fair enough if they were cutting subjects like A-level Physics etc, but this just means that fewer old ladies will be able to go and do 'a course' in icing-sugar flower-making. I'm of the personal opinion that if you want to further your education, that it should A-levels/IB or you can take a hike. I don't mind people marying around per se saying 'Lolz I dO cHiLdCaRe AnD FiNgS' but I don't think my taxes should fund that piffle. We should focus on furthering the intelligence of our own population, and bring in migrants from Africa/Asia to do the low-end jobs that those 'courses' train people for. Maybe this recession is good in a way, because it will stop these time-wasters wasting their own time and my money on wastegash courses.

I'm 19 and have just started Uni last September so don't think I'm one of these.

The reason why some of these older people do these courses now is because they didn't have the qualifications/money/whatever when they left school. Don't forget at the time that most of these people left school, you went straight into work. Colleges/sixth forms/Unis had higher entrance grades, which were only usually achieved by some kid who had been put through private education - also most of these new state-school leavers couldn't afford to hold down a part-time job AND go to college or whatever - their only choice was go to work full time and further their education later on.
sunpro

childcare is a course designed for chavs
Reply 3
why do chavs always pick the childcare course?
Reply 4
A levels are hardly terribly important, get over yourself. Fantastic, you can regurgitate a series of framework facts. Congratulations! They serve as an entrance criteria to universities, little more.

I dare say that many of the adult qualifications may be quite useful, such as HNDs and NVQs in highly vocational subjects, especially in combination with modern apprenticeships. Same goes for courses to help migrants coming into the country to get a better grip on English for example. It's not all 'Ceramic pottery for fun', though I agree those courses shouldn't get a lot of funding.

If you don't plan to move into university, then these above qualifications make sense to me.
sunpro

Oh my goodness, are you for real? Clearly, you're not as "intelligent" as you think you are if you take this attitude to important vocational courses that are essential training for certain jobs. A-levels as good as they are for University entry are useless for the real world.

You don't think "your" money should fund childcare courses?! An obvious unimportant course hey! Oh yeah, let's produce a country of overqualified people who will not get out of bed to do a job that they consider below them, err, a job that they also wouldn't be trained for! Easier to get a foreigner in - Are you serious????????
What will the chavs do if they aren't at college doing childcare.

Will they find a more productive vocation or will they sit around smoking weed and then get pregnant so they can get a council tax and extra benefits funded by extra taxes...
I've already heard the phrase wastegash twice now and I'm already disliking it.

Well at college we have a few adult courses. One of them is ceramics and the other is floristry :/ I did one when I was out of education for a year and it was to do with making fancy cakes with all the icing and the trimming. They have their place.
I heard yesterday that part-time (2year) access courses might be getting phased out. A lot of people need to do the course part - time so that they can work / look after family etc. This would discourage a lot of people from education.

Cutting education might help reduce national debt initialy, but in the long term, it's not going to help our economy or society.
Reply 9
I was an adult learner this year, I'm 22 and I had to do the course as a physical disability prevented me from completing college. I did an Access course as I want a Psychology degree as did everyone else in my group. I didn't see any little old ladies making cakes while I was there.
My other half is a learning support assistant in a college, she works with the disabled (physically and mentally) and because of funding (or lack of it) key classes like "adult numeracy" have been cut.

It's a great shame to be honest. Not only is it a good, neccesary class but they enjoyed it and my other half enjoyed being a part of it.
flugestuge
Those are the epitome of wastegash and wastecash.
The taxpayer should not be funding these.

Not sure about you but it's mainly the disabled people who do these courses at my college.

Latest

Trending

Trending