Turn on thread page Beta

So what are veiws of the conservative party and the NHS..? watch

ReputationRep:
    I remember a period of time, when MPs were all for the NHS, especially labour MPs. updating their twitter with i love NHS etc..( I have my local MP on twitter, because i did work experience with her.. n she is actually quite nice... even though she was one of the MPS to claim a vast amount on her allowance...This was after my placement..).. What was the reason for this does anybody know or remember... was it because the conservative party said something about the NHS and its status in years to come if they get in to power....

It's because the conservative party MEP (european parliament) Daniel Hannan went onto fox news and said they shouldn't adopt the NHS.

He has been saying the NHS is bad for years but fox news is where everyone suddenly noticed and they went mental about it, hence all the NHS love suddenly. Hannan is notorious for being a maverick and nothing like typical conservatives though; he opposes the EU, he opposes the war in Iraq, he would legalise drugs etc. So his views certainly don't represent the conservatives fully, he's closer to UKIP really or better yet to LPUK. But he's with the tories for largely pragmatic reasons which is fair enough.

Cameron distanced himself from Hannans remarks, saying he stands for three letters "N, H and S" - and he said Hannan has some "eccentric" points of view.

Daniel Hannan is also famous for his speech in the european parliament to Gordon Brown where he called him the devalued prime minister of a devalued government, it got 2 million hits overnight which is crazy for anything political. That's how Fox News came to notice him probably. He also writes a blog for the daily telegraph, where he sometimes defends his position on healthcare, though hes got back to talking about other things now.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the whole issue arises from the fact that the Conservatives lost the 1945 election because they did not promise like the Labour Party to create a National Health Service, treating people on the basis of clinical need and not ability to pay.

People of that generation and their children thus remember Labour as the party of the NHS and the nasty, mean Tories who opposed it. Of course this has all now changed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the NHS budget will be just as bloated and mismanaged under the Tories as it is now, after all, despite the defecit, Cameron will "ringfence" spending

ReputationRep:
    Public opnion has forced the Torys to be supportive of the NHS, if they could get away with privatising it they would.

ReputationRep:
    if the Tories do "privatise the NHS cos they r teh evil", it will only be a continuation of the last 13 years of New Labour. hopefully there'll be less targets, league tables etc

ReputationRep:
    Privatisation by stealth.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.