Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

when will nurses ever get the pay they deserve watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    30 years ago nurses were nurses and they got less pay than doctors because they pretty much wiped arses for a living. but todays modern nurse can diagnose, perscribe, teach doctors, set up medical trials, do minor surgical procedures and more...

yet they get a shocking wage for what they do and the skills they have.

i understand that the reality of the situation is that the nhs can just not afford it but in my opinion nurses should be on at least 20% more pay.

this issuse makes me angry. do you think nurses will ever get was they deserve? discuss.

ReputationRep:
    It's true, a nurse I knew worked non-stop, looking after patients and office work at the same time. She knows a lot and was very hardworking. Felt sorry for her, and that is what they get in return. Gosh don't get me started about the nhs now...

ReputationRep:
    pfft.

ReputationRep:
    True completely agree. Nurses deserve much more pay than what they get. i know because many members of my family are nurses but there are many jobs that deserve more pay but will probably never get what they deserve such as certain sectors of the armed forces i mean 16 grand a year to put your life on the line. and there was me thinking a life is priceless :/.

p.s. i think that is the standard pay for a Soldier in the armhy with the rank of private ? correct me if wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    30 years ago nurses were nurses and they got less pay than doctors because they pretty much wiped arses for a living. but todays modern nurse can diagnose, perscribe, teach doctors, set up medical trials, do minor surgical procedures and more...

i understand that the reality of the situation is that the nhs can just not afford it but in my opinion nurses should be on at least 20% more pay.

this issuse makes me angry. do you think nurses will ever get was they deserve? discuss.
    When doctors get the pay they deserve...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_a_y)
    When doctors get the pay they deserve...
    doctor get alot closer to what they deserve than nurses do.

doctor, when they are fully qualified, get a very good wage. nurses, when they are qualified, and for years after they will struggle to earn £30,000.

ReputationRep:
    If nurses are so badly paid then why is there not a severe shortage?

ReputationRep:
    doctor get alot closer to what they deserve than nurses do.

doctor, when they are fully qualified, get a very good wage. nurses, when they are qualified, and for years after they will struggle to earn £30,000.
    What about the hole of debt that medics dig themselves into to get to the position where they're allowed to work like dogs for the pay of a waiter in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjdcfc)
    It's still a desirable job; for many, many people there are more things to life than money, like helping people!

And there is a shortage, they don't have enough nurses to go around a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:

A band 5 cannot do what you are saying they can, when they do the training, they get paid respectively.

ReputationRep:

i know what you mean. i am fed up with today's society. where are student protest's when you need them. my dad keeps telling me that during his time students led the way (he's german so maybe it is different than england, but still). i study economics and i am shocked at the number of people who just do it for the money. its all they care about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    i know what you mean. i am fed up with today's society. where are student protest's when you need them. my dad keeps telling me that during his time students led the way (he's german so maybe it is different than england, but still). i study economics and i am shocked at the number of people who just do it for the money. its all they care about.
    No, according to my mum it was the same over here. Bring back the student protests, down with binge drinking and up with lobbying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    It's still a desirable job; for many, many people there are more things to life than money, like helping people!

And there is a shortage, they don't have enough nurses to go around a lot of the time.
    That isn't to do with insufficient people willing to be a nurse, that is because generally the NHS is overstretched and underfunded. By paying nurses more, you would find that the number of nurses would decrease, yet the supply of willing nurses would increase. Granted the quality of nurses would increase, however I'm not aware of this currently being a problem.

If supply of a job is equal to or less than demand, then that job is not underpaid. If it were underpaid, people would seek alternative employment, it's not like they are being forced to be a nurse.

ReputationRep:
    They will get a higher pay when people stop wanting to become nurses due to the low pay, and the government finds themselves in a position where they haven't got enough nurses, and need to think of some incentive to get more people to do it.

Until then, there seem to be enough people willing to work as nurses for that kind of pay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    there seem to be enough people willing to work as nurses for that kind of pay
    Because they aren't underpaid.

ReputationRep:
    usually because they enjoy the career and it is a stable one.

my point was more to do with: highly qualified nurses will do many of the same jobs a doctors will do and are just as knowlegable but they get paid a sooo much less.

a few examples as to why nurses should be paid closer to a doctors wage:
    - a few months past went to visit my gp. and asked about contraception. the gp said to me "you will be better off seeing the nurse as she know more than i do about it" so i did and every thing was fine.
    - then a week or so ago i made a last minute appointment at my surgery and the receptionist asked me why i needed it. i said i was feeling unwell. i was made an appointment to see a nurse who perscribed me antibiotic after assesing me. two weeks later i was fine. no doctor needed.
    - in the past when i suffered from mental health problems. my doctor, who i saw regularly, said "this is as far as i can help you, i suggest you make an appointment with the nurse and she will be able to help you furture because she knows more about this stuff than i do".

doctors are great at what they do but i think that nurses are just as good. so why do they not get similar pay considering they are doing similar jobs?

ReputationRep:
    when are teachers going to get the pay they deserve aswell!!

ReputationRep:
    Because they aren't underpaid.
    Well I don't really know how much nurses get paid, or exactly what the nature of the work is. So I can't really suggest whether or not they "deserve" more money.

But I agree with you - surely the pay can't be that bad for the work they do, if people are still willing to become nurses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Amazing how when you are paying for something it focuses the mind. Sensible people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    What about the hole of debt that medics dig themselves into to get to the position where they're allowed to work like dogs for the pay of a waiter in the first place?
    a waiter:rolleyes:
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=553
    check out the junior doc section. i have worked as a waitress and even if i worked 90hours a week i would still not come close to this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.