Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you are confusing moral worth with economic worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    usually because they enjoy the career and it is a stable one.

my point was more to do with: highly qualified nurses will do many of the same jobs a doctors will do and are just as knowlegable but they get paid a sooo much less.

a few examples as to why nurses should be paid closer to a doctors wage:
    - a few months past went to visit my gp. and asked about contraception. the gp said to me "you will be better off seeing the nurse as she know more than i do about it" so i did and every thing was fine.
    - then a week or so ago i made a last minute appointment at my surgery and the receptionist asked me why i needed it. i said i was feeling unwell. i was made an appointment to see a nurse who perscribed me antibiotic after assesing me. two weeks later i was fine. no doctor needed.
    - in the past when i suffered from mental health problems. my doctor, who i saw regularly, said "this is as far as i can help you, i suggest you make an appointment with the nurse and she will be able to help you furture because she knows more about this stuff than i do".

doctors are great at what they do but i think that nurses are just as good. so why do they not get similar pay considering they are doing similar jobs?
    They get paid less because they do not hold the same scarcity value that doctors do. By studying medicine you are creating a barrier to entry. This ensures a level of quality that patients will trust and in return restricts supply. Doctors like this - good pay is maintained, patients like this - quality is controlled and the NHS like this - the best and brightest aspire to become doctors due to the status, money etc. Undermining this would jeopardise the quality of future doctors. Nurses don't have this protection from competition in the labour market and in turn their pay reflects this. Relative to the options available to nurses, their pay is good enough. For the jobs that nurses do, they do not have to be (although incidentally they could be) intellectually equivalent to doctors. You have to ask why the managers of the NHS want doctors to be the best and brightest (as it could be argued that medicine graduates are) and yet the standard for nursing is less.

I'm not suggesting that nurses don't do a great job and that they aren't of significant value to the NHS. However, they do a job that many others would and could do. If this is the case then the wage is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conor.b92)
    True completely agree. Nurses deserve much more pay than what they get. i know because many members of my family are nurses but there are many jobs that deserve more pay but will probably never get what they deserve such as certain sectors of the armed forces i mean 16 grand a year to put your life on the line. and there was me thinking a life is priceless :/.

p.s. i think that is the standard pay for a Soldier in the armhy with the rank of private ? correct me if wrong
    Because if it was a higher paid job than why would any1 bother studying to get the same amount of money....when they can just join the army after GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    probably the same time teachers get the pay that they also deserve...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjdcfc)
    They get paid less because they do not hold the same scarcity value that doctors do. By studying medicine you are creating a barrier to entry. This ensures a level of quality that patients will trust and in return restricts supply. Doctors like this - good pay is maintained, patients like this - quality is controlled and the NHS like this - the best and brightest aspire to become doctors due to the status, money etc. Undermining this would jeopardise the quality of future doctors. Nurses don't have this protection from competition in the labour market and in turn their pay reflects this. Relative to the options available to nurses, their pay is good enough. For the jobs that nurses do, they do not have to be (although incidentally they could be) intellectually equivalent to doctors. You have to ask why the managers of the NHS want doctors to be the best and brightest (as it could be argued that medicine graduates are) and yet the standard for nursing is less.

I'm not suggesting that nurses don't do a great job and that they aren't of significant value to the NHS. However, they do a job that many others would and could do. If this is the case then the wage is right.
    i like this point.

however i do not totally agree that anyone could be a practice nurse. i do believe that it takes a lot of knowlege, interllect and years of training to qualify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrazyKro)
    Because if it was a higher paid job than why would any1 bother studying to get the same amount of money....when they can just join the army after GCSEs?
    its no easy job becoming a fully trained soldier.

The physical aspect of it alone is grueling, there is also the mental toughness needed to stay focused in extreme situations with live ammunation firing above there heads.

in my opinion they should be paid a hell of alot more because what they do each day in places like afganistan is truly brave.

but i can see your point. But surely the staff at the recruitment centre will be able to see of they are only in it for the cash ?

and its worth noting something i didnt put in my 1st post is. they should get the rise in pay when on active duty because surley putting your life on the line each day is bad enough without having to worry about financial situations back home ?

but of course everyone is entitled to there opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    probably the same time teachers get the pay that they also deserve...
    nurses help to and actually save lives for a living.
    teacher are very important for society but they are not as valuable as nurses in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    30 years ago nurses were nurses and they got less pay than doctors because they pretty much wiped arses for a living. but todays modern nurse can diagnose, perscribe, teach doctors, set up medical trials, do minor surgical procedures and more...

yet they get a shocking wage for what they do and the skills they have.

i understand that the reality of the situation is that the nhs can just not afford it but in my opinion nurses should be on at least 20% more pay.

this issuse makes me angry. do you think nurses will ever get was they deserve? discuss.
    have I not seem you in other threads righteously ****ging off nurses..? and it's doctors who are vastly underpaid...

ReputationRep:
    Secondary school teachers and nurses are on the same level I would say. They are both equally important to society.

ReputationRep:
    nurses help to and actually save lives for a living.
    teacher are very important for society but they are not as valuable as nurses in my opinion.
    I'm a different Miss Scarlett by the way, we have similiar usernames- just to avoid confusion :p:

The question you are proposing, i cannot disagree or agree with, I simply do not know enough about it.

The thing I will ask you to bare in mind, that if you are looking at a comparison between nurses and doctors pay, I ask you not to. Because although you say nurses can do many of the things doctors do, when you look at the lengths of training and debt required there is a significant difference. Doctors and nurses have their own place within the multidisciplinary team, thats why they arent the same vocation, so I think it unwise to make that comparison.

ReputationRep:
    todays modern nurse can diagnose, perscribe, teach doctors, set up medical trials, do minor surgical procedures and more...
    wtf? teach doctors what- how to neglect patients and starve/dehydrate them? i think nurses should get back to cleaning up shyte (at least they were good at that) and leave medicine to doctors and surgeons

ReputationRep:
    If your willing to pay more national insurance, then nurses will get the pay they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    have I not seem you in other threads righteously ****ging off nurses..?
    no i was actually admiring how hard nusing students work then a nursing student had a go at me for degrading the profession or something... she was just on crack i think.

i respect anyone who works in the nhs. they are all very brave and dedicated imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conor.b92)

in my opinion they should be paid a hell of alot more because what they do each day in places like afganistan is truly brave.
    its a career choice like any other, soldiers are aware of the pay before they join...if you want good pay you dont become a soldier - most people capable of doing anything else wouldnt go into the army

ReputationRep:
    no i was actually admiring how hard nusing students work then a nursing student had a go at me for degrading the profession or something... she was just on crack i think.

i respect anyone who works in the nhs. they are all very brave and dedicated imo.
    that's true she is a bit of a nutter.. but this is a slightly random thread to start up considering you want to be an underpaid doctor.. fight your own corner first..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I'm a different Miss Scarlett by the way, we have similiar usernames- just to avoid confusion :p:

The question you are proposing, i cannot disagree or agree with, I simply do not know enough about it.

The thing I will ask you to bare in mind, that if you are looking at a comparison between nurses and doctors pay, I ask you not to. Because although you say nurses can do many of the things doctors do, when you look at the lengths of training and debt required there is a significant difference. Doctors and nurses have their own place within the multidisciplinary team, thats why they arent the same vocation, so I think it unwise to make that comparison.
    my point was that nurses should get a higher pay that is closer (even if only by a small amount) to a doctors. i never suggested they should get more. doctors should always get more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WEB)
    its a career choice like any other, soldiers are aware of the pay before they join...if you want good pay you dont become a soldier - most people capable of doing anything else wouldnt go into the army
    but isnt that whats wrong with the whole thing i mean a bin man earns more than a soldier now im not knocking that job but surely risking your life is worth more pay than emptying bins ?

ReputationRep:
    my point was that nurses should get a higher pay that is closer (even if only by a small amount) to a doctors. i never suggested they should get more. doctors should always get more.
    No I didn't assume that you thought nurses should get paid more. It's just for some people with the roles seemingly become more blurred due to increased responsibility/prescribing capacities of nurses, I think its important to emphasise that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    that's true she is a bit of a nutter.. but this is a slightly random thread to start up considering you want to be an underpaid doctor.. fight your own corner first..
    you are right.

i just sometime feel nurses get a lot of disrespect and they acually help doctors out a lot.
    i guess i just have alot of respect for anyone in health care and without all parts of the team, doctors alone could only do so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    No I didn't assume that you thought nurses should get paid more. It's just for some people with the roles seemingly become more blurred due to increased responsibility/prescribing capacities of nurses, I think its important to emphasise that point.
    yes you are right. good point.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2010

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.