Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    But to quote that salery, without adding on additional hours for bank shifts, which many substantive staff do (and which is very lucrative) would not be repersenting the entire situation.
    and many doctors of FY2 and above do locums - this does not change the salaries for a full time post

Now you and I have had our disagreements in the past, but to put pissing contests aside, as an RN, how do you see your career progressing with such rapid changes in healthcare; do you feel threatened by the advancement of the HCA 3s? No piss take, genuine question.

the Registered Nurse has little to fear from associate and assistant practitioners , unlike radiographers and Physios and OTs ...

HCAs pose no real threat to Nurses, it is only in the delusional minds of the failed baked bean stackers that they are in any way comparable.

(Original post by zippyRN)
    and many doctors of FY2 and above do locums - this does not change the salaries for a full time post
    From what I've seen nurses often pick up 1 or more shift a week as bank. Thats perishingly rare in full time doctors in training posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    From what I've seen nurses often pick up 1 or more shift a week as bank. Thats perishingly rare in full time doctors in training posts.

And not for newly qualified nurses? As an RN you can't join a bank, agency..whatever until your preceptorship is finished, usually atleast 1-2 years experience too its not as simple, bang you're qualified...heres loads of extra shifts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davey jones)
    preceptorship is rarely over a couple of months and in many posts often a hypothetical concept. You can theoretically and practically join NHSP within a couple of months and sign up for as many shifts as you want.

Firstly with NHS p the time taken to be band 5 on the bank is trust dependant, it seems to be from 6 months to 2 years qualified

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    however this 'progression' to band 6 isn't easy

for most requires to do a top up course, masters..conferences, clinical skills courses, for the average nurse graduating with a diploma, probably would take 10 years - most of which can be paid for by the trust but a huge amount of nurses self fund, and why do not a lot of medical students get the nhs bursary? Mummy and daddy earn too much, hardly an argument
    10 years to get to a band 6?!!!! i don't know any band 6s that have taken that long to get there!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly with NHS p the time taken to be band 5 on the bank is trust dependant, it seems to be from 6 months to 2 years qualified
    In my trust you need six months experience, I think it's pretty much unheard of to get straight on the bank as a qualified as daveyjones said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    10 years to get to a band 6?!!!! i don't know any band 6s that have taken that long to get there!
    outside of trusts with retention problems 7-10 years is the norm, in a trust with retention problems it will be quicker...

you can of course jump the queue by being a suck up or performing sexual favours for matron ...

i can think of two matrons who will be quaking in their boots today as their favourite tactic to derail compliants and greivances against them has just been busted ,,,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)

My tutor may have lied! He said to end up in a band 6 position, would take 10 years- from uni onwards!

ReputationRep:
    I was told that you needed a minimum of 2 years experience for a band 6..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herbal bug)
    I was told that you needed a minimum of 2 years experience for a band 6..

unless it;s a trust / clinical area with huge retention problems the only way you'll get a band 6 in two years is through bribery and arse-licking ...

i'd be worried if a clinical area was willing to give a band 6 role to someone 2 years post qualification

ReputationRep:
    My tutor may have lied! He said to end up in a band 6 position, would take 10 years- from uni onwards!
    Sounds like your tutors playing it safe! Of all the band 6s I know, the longest it has taken any of them to get to that position is 6 years. And yes, ZippyRN talks absolute bull!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.