Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend and I have been involved for about 3-4 years now during highschool. Currently have been together over a year with no breaks. We love eachother, but aren't you're stereotypical love-birds: our feet are on the ground. But, university is going to drive us hundreds of miles apart. And from what I know, university is an all partying, life changing and busy experience with the opportunity to meet hundreds of new people. Is there any point/hope to staying together? Has anyone managed this? Is it worth it? How did you manage?

Thoughts, opinions, tips and advice would be much appreciated

(Bumped as this took a while to approve)

ReputationRep:
    Some people make it work others dont. I can think of about 3 or 4 couples who have managed 3 years at separate unis, often 2 or 3 hours drive apart. I can also think of many more couples who split up within the first term. If you want to make it work then give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    It will work under the same condition that all LDRs are under: Both [arties must be willing to put the effort in.

Set up a time everyday to talk to one another and stick to it. Even if you have nothing to say. If you do just rush of partying and forget eachother then it's about as doomed as a pig in a sausage factory.

But if it is too much when you get there it's better to break it off sooner than later. That way you can at least maintain a good friendship while away at uni.

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule of thumb: if you can survive the first term, you have genuine feelings for each other; if you can survive the first year, you have a better chance of defeating long-distance.

I speak from my friends' experiences. Most of them have surprisingly stayed together.

ReputationRep:
    Alot break up in the first term, but if you can last that then be good. :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.