The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

chriscahill9
Yeah. For about 3/4 weeks now, I've been doing press ups and sit ups in the morning and evening. I do like 30-40 sit ups and about 10-12 press ups.
Is this too much for my muscles to grow properly?

It is both too much and not enough.
Reply 2
Out of interest, where did you get the idea to do that?
Reply 3
no wouldnt say so. i do 50 sit ups in the morning and 25 press ups. in the evening i then do 25 sit ups and 15 press ups and this i consider to be rather easy going..i also do various weights throughout the day aswell as jogging...but it also depends on your age and current level of fitness
Reply 4
chriscahill9
Yeah. For about 3/4 weeks now, I've been doing press ups and sit ups in the morning and evening. I do like 30-40 sit ups and about 10-12 press ups.

:facepalm:

1. pressups and situps will not make your muscles grow... at all
if you want to gain muscle do compound exercises (bench, squat, deadlift etc) not sissy little pressups

2. you need to EAT if you want to gain muscle, if ur diet isn't in check then you will gain bugger all

3. exercising the same muscles day after day will make you gain **** all muscle

conslusion:

do some research
Reply 5
conor.b92
no wouldnt say so. i do 50 sit ups in the morning and 25 press ups. in the evening i then do 25 sit ups and 15 press ups and this i consider to be rather easy going..i also do various weights throughout the day aswell as jogging...but it also depends on your age and current level of fitness

and you are an idiot
Reply 6
john87
and you are an idiot

haha tad harsh, but at risk of making myself look more of an idiot i need to ask the question 'how am i an idiot ?' haha
If you want to gain muscle, set a diet plan and eat right. Then get yourself to a decent gym and with the help of one of the staff organise a suitable workout regime. The rest is equally as important as the workout so by working the same part of your body everyday is stupid. I do ~4 workouts a week and though i wouldnt say im ripped at all, it's enough to get compliments. Like a guy said above me, do some research first.
Reply 8
john87
and you are an idiot

Give up, you won't win.
Reply 9
ahahaa

yes your 10 pushups and 40 situps are obviously WAYYY too much

i heard bodybuilders dont even do 8 pushups and 20 situps.. are you crazy?
Rai
ahahaa

In some respects yes, by working your abdominals and not your lower back you can create posture problems and increase your risk of injury.
chriscahill9

I think the general consensus is that it is best to do 3/4 good workouts / week, with rest days inbetween for your muscles to recover.

As others have said, compound excercises (multiple muscle groups) are meant to be the best workouts.

Are you a student? Does your Uni / College have a gym that you could join?
You stupid wazzock go to the gym and also have rest days.
I do 100 consecutive press ups and 100 consecutive abdominal crunches twice in the morning and twice in the evening, + weights
,for like 2 years its never harmed me
Lots of people do way , way more. How can you think that 10 push ups is going to give you muscle damage? ..
Reply 14
You need to change the exercises you do otherwise your body will just get used to the exercises and they'll have no affect anymore. Also, I've heard that 2x12 reps should work with any muscle building exercise, if they're not working you need to add more weight/tension... (From what I've heard... but I am doing like 100 crunches a night for a challenge!)
Reply 15
There's sooo much hostility in these fitness threads :eek3:
Reply 16
Iapetus
There's sooo much hostility in these fitness threads :eek3:

Haha, init. All I did is ask some advice and I get abuse and get called an idiot.
Reply 17
Rai
ahahaa

Alright man, relax. I've not done any sort of exercises before, and the reason I was asking was because I didn't want my muscle growth to be affected by doing too much.
Reply 18
M|chael
I do 100 consecutive press ups and 100 consecutive abdominal crunches twice in the morning and twice in the evening, + weights
,for like 2 years its never harmed me
Lots of people do way , way more. How can you think that 10 push ups is going to give you muscle damage? ..

I didn't say I think it was going to give me muscle damage, I said affect the growth, ie not grow as much as they might.
Reply 19
chriscahill9
Alright man, relax. I've not done any sort of exercises before, and the reason I was asking was because I didn't want my muscle growth to be affected by doing too much.

Haha, you do realise that 10 pushups and 30 situps or whatever you claimed to do is a miniscule amount?

Latest