Turn on thread page Beta

Does Britain take Free Speech too Far? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It's really getting to me at the moment, how all "common-sense" procedures which should take place within our country are all surrounded by red-tape. It seems to me we allow everyone to get away with whatever they want.

I just watched a program on Dubai, and how it has advanced, and although it may soon hit it's own credit crunch, has been celebrating whilst we are in an economic downturn. They plonk up buildings within years, which would take decades if not longer over here.

In addition the Chinese economy is growing at a rapid rate.

Both countries have strict no-nonsense laws, whereas anybody can set up camp here and literally do what the **** they want. When people worked towards a "free" world this is not what we had in mind, there should still be some restrictions on exactly what goes on out there, and punishments should be more severe.

There are always people (usually idiotic university students) opposing anything in relation to progression, thus everything takes a lot longer than it should.

As a result we allow islamic extremists to freely brainwash and recruit people here, as it's probably the easiest place in the world to do it, without a word being said to them. I mean we know Islam 4 UK have bad intentions, yet we are let them continue as they please. Common sense would be to arrest/deport/shoot all of it's members and affiliates, and give air time to proper islamic teachings rather than showing these people in the media day in day out. Just get rid of the *******.

Our streets are littered, people freely p*ss all over them, all the future criminals get are worthless ASBOs rather than being taught a proper lesson, and there is no motivation to drive the economy forwards, this is exactly what happens when everybody wants a "free-speech" world with a careless, hedonisitic attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Democracy is bittersweet.

ReputationRep:
    Why should other people, born as humans like us and who die like us stop people from expressing there views? Unless someone is doing something that harms or affects others then we should be able to say what we want.

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather live here or in China?

Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

Think about it.
    Everyone wants to live in Britain. Every african, koran bashing muslim. Every lying asylum seeker.

brown and black people are desperate, utterly desperate to live under the care of the gret white man. It is every pakistanis/indianbs/africans dream to come and live in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

Think about it.
    there's cuter guys here but china rockz 2!!!!!!!

And more to the point, democracy fails and doesn't work - it inevitably leads to tyranny which is a fact.

ReputationRep:
    Free speech doesn't get taken far enough in my opinion, political correctness is what is taken to the extreme here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)

And more to the point, democracy fails and doesn't work - it inevitably leads to tyranny which is a fact.
    I smell a muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    Why should other people, born as humans like us and who die like us stop people from expressing there views? Unless someone is doing something that harms or affects others then we should be able to say what we want.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteFairBeauty)
    I smell a muslim.
    Where is he :ninja:

(Original post by CookieArun)

I think it's fairly well known that democracy doesn't work very well. However, it works slightly better (in terms of quality of living for average joe) than anything else we've come up with yet so... meh... we'll just have to lump it.

I mean really... yes, China is doing well economically. Being in the upper echelons of chinese society is probably a pretty sweet place to be. But would you want to be the average chinese citizen? **** no, you would not.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, you're right OP.

I just contrast what China and India have achieved over the last 30 years. Both started in similar positions and both are growing rapidly as the next generation of superpowers. However, China's centralised control has lifted almost their entire population out of poverty (admittedly committing many humanitarian crimes on the way) whilst Indian democracy, based on the British model, takes forever to get anything done. As a result, literacy rates are still terribly low and political differences are far too easy to exploit.

It seems like democracy is fast becoming something beyond criticism (in the west at least), when in actual fact it deserves a considerable amount.

(Original post by WhiteFairBeauty)
    brown and black people are desperate, utterly desperate to live under the care of the gret white man. It is every pakistanis/indianbs/africans dream to come and live in the uk.
    Lol. So where did your inferiority-complex come from? Parental abuse, bullying or just warranted self-hatred in general?

ReputationRep:
    Sort of agree because some people are too stupid to realise what they are saying is actually rude rather than an intellectual criticism or evaluation. It is true that terrorists group should be deported etc if they have enough evidence to do it. I'm assuming that they do from your post and I wonder why they aren't doing anything about it. However, if the government did issue a legislation like the one Hitler passed where the police can eradicate anyone who seems as a threat to the nation and its people and the BNP get in. We're ALL dead.

Edit: Oh yea sorry, forgot. Except the white british citizens of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybean123)
    Free speech doesn't get taken far enough in my opinion, political correctness is what is taken to the extreme here!
    This. If we were allowed to criticise people and beliefs a lot more freely without fear of retribution it would be a lot better and a natural equilibrium would be met, without the need for formalised 'democracy'. Having said that, some elements of authoritarianism appeal too.

ReputationRep:
    You can't take free speach too far. You either have it or you don't. And we don't.

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, it isn't taken far enough.

Damn liberals with all their rules, ironic that they don't actually give liberty.

ReputationRep:
    In a word....Probably Yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)

I just watched a program on Dubai, and how it has advanced
    If you think Dubai is a free country you obviously know nothing at all.

Britain doesn't have enough "free speech" in my oppinion, and the fact that anyone can come over here "and do what ever the **** they want" as you put it (which isn't totally true - but much easier to do here than China or Dubai) means being free.

ReputationRep:
    Britain doesnt take freedom of speech far enough IMO. We certainly should have the right to criticize peoples beliefs more vigorously. Recent legislation such as the 2006 Racial and Religous Hatred act have certainly limited the ability of individuals to criticize religion, with the bill having been criticized by many secular groups.

"the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    There are always people (usually idiotic university students) opposing anything in relation to progression, thus everything takes a lot longer than it should.
    So essentially you're reckoning there that you're more perceptive than one of the most intellectually active groups of people in the world, then?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.