Turn on thread page Beta

Do you lie to your parents or are you open? watch

Announcements

I used to be completely open but my mum is so strict I've ended up having to lie. You guys?

ReputationRep:
    probably overly open with my mum. If I had a very strict parent I'm sure i'd lie too though, you have to live your own life and sometimes that's easier if you don't tell the whole truth....
    Sometimes parents really are looking out for our best interest though, so it depends what you're lying about I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Lie but with a hint of truth

ReputationRep:
    I don't lie but I don't disclose everything. There are some things that parents don't need to know about. I usually find other menial things to tell them so they feel like they know stuff and don't feel the need to pry deeper!

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Pretty much the same.

ReputationRep:
    A mixture.

ReputationRep:
    I've got nothing to lie about

Basically she's religious i.e. no alcohol/boyfriends etc. All that went out the window at uni. Everytime there's a kissing scene on TV she gets all disgusted and flips the channel and she doesn't believe in any form of physical contact before marriage. That's why it's hard. I feel sorry for her though and sometimes guilty but I can't be oppressed forever either.

ReputationRep:
    Well.. some topics I lie about some I tell them everything. They would be much better off just not knowing :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Nah.... I generally don't want to lie, unless it's absolutely necessary and for the greater good :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I tell my mother just about everything, but I barely say two words to my father about a majority of things. I suppose it depends entirely on what I'm to disclose, as I tend to fluff over certain things if I know it'll save them worrying, etc.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are quite old-fashioned in their views so there's stuff I'd rather keep from them.

ReputationRep:
    I usually tell her the truth, except for when telling the time im coming back

ReputationRep:
    I don't lie, per se - I just don't always disclose everything. Like if they ask me I'll tell them the truth (or at least some of it) but I wouldn't go out of my way to tell them everything all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't lie rather just omit some truth.

ReputationRep:
    They don't know im gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

ReputationRep:
    I withhold some information; my mum's not strict and she's a lovely quite liberal person, but some things just aren't necessary to go on about. We talk about loads of other things though

OP - Don't feel guilty; if you don't share her values it's not your fault, but your mum obviously is quite determined and probably won't change her mind about things so I'd say let her get on with that, but try and connect and talk to her about other things. Keep the relationship as open as you can without offending or upsetting her

ReputationRep:
    I lie to them all the time. But I'm just a congenital liar

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite evenly balanced between lying and telling the truth.

(Original post by x y z)
    My parents are quite old-fashioned in their views so there's stuff I'd rather keep from them.
    Like what?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.