Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The General Election : Why I beleive we shouldn't underestimate the power of the BNP watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been thinking about this for a few days, reading newspapers etc, all making predictions about the general election. While I myself will be voting for the Lib Dems (whether this is good or not is of course debateable), I encountered something today that no newspaper has really covered in depth ; the rise of the right wing.

Lets face it, Labour messed up. It had its good points, but like every other party, poor leadership, rivalry and bad decisions all lead to its distrust, and it is unlikely they will remain in power in May. Talking to someone at work today, he told me he was going to vote for the BNP. This man isn't racist (I myself am an ethnic minority) but he is voting for them purely because :

1) He dosent trust the other parties into caring about 'home affairs'

2) The other parties will not do anything effective concerning
    immigration

3) He feels that in his area in London, the british culture he enjoyed as a boy is fading away, being replaced by the culture of these ethnic minorities, as well as gangs that consist of mainly youths of an asian or african background.

I became interested in this, particularly after seeing this on Facebook;

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...0.527036745..1

last week, the group was at 3000 supporters. This week it has risen to over 4000. It really shows how many people are turning to such parties offering idealistic views of how to 'fix the country' in comparison to the 'lies fed by the big 3'. I know that not all the BNP members are racist, and there are some who genuinely worry about the UK and turn to right wing radicals for support. But if support for such groups keeps on growing, and growing, eventually the BNP will be in a position of high authority and it may even have a shot at winning an election in a few decades (imo anyway).

While the BNP are laughable at the moment, I dont think we should underestimate them. They are able to manipulate a great number of british people (particularly the working class) with their policies and idealistic promises to 'retain britishness'. I personally hope that whoever gets into power in May realises the internal effects that immigration and overt PC is causing, as it is the negligence and flippent behaviour of the big 3 that are making people turn to such radical groups. They must tackle the issue of immigration effectively, and listen to the working class in order to succeed ( I mean, it dosent hurt if st georges day or whatever can at least be recognised right.) it is exactly these type of people, the ones who are ignored, that can often obtain more power than any government.

What are your opinions on this ?

ReputationRep:
    The increase in support of the BNP is attributed to either stupidity, or appealing to fictitious solutions which make no sense in the hope of a blame game/quick fix, or a mixture of both.

At the end of the day, if the UK population becomes stupid enough to let the BNP get into power - it wouldn't matter, the country is doomed anyway. You may as well have an idiot run idiots.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't gage this on the number of people in a facebook group, no matter how obvious a ploy it is to get people to join it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    Hi,

I've been thinking about this for a few days, reading newspapers etc, all making predictions about the general election. While I myself will be voting for the Lib Dems (whether this is good or not is of course debateable), I encountered something today that no newspaper has really covered in depth ; the rise of the right wing.

Lets face it, Labour messed up. It had its good points, but like every other party, poor leadership, rivalry and bad decisions all lead to its distrust, and it is unlikely they will remain in power in May. Talking to someone at work today, he told me he was going to vote for the BNP. This man isn't racist (I myself am an ethnic minority) but he is voting for them purely because :

1) He dosent trust the other parties into caring about 'home affairs'

2) The other parties will not do anything effective concerning
    immigration

3) He feels that in his area in London, the british culture he enjoyed as a boy is fading away, being replaced by the culture of these ethnic minorities, as well as gangs that consist of mainly youths of an asian or african background.

I became interested in this, particularly after seeing this on Facebook;

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...0.527036745..1

last week, the group was at 3000 supporters. This week it has risen to over 4000. It really shows how many people are turning to such parties offering idealistic views of how to 'fix the country' in comparison to the 'lies fed by the big 3'. I know that not all the BNP members are racist, and there are some who genuinely worry about the UK and turn to right wing radicals for support. But if support for such groups keeps on growing, and growing, eventually the BNP will be in a position of high authority and it may even have a shot at winning an election in a few decades (imo anyway).

While the BNP are laughable at the moment, I dont think we should underestimate them. They are able to manipulate a great number of british people (particularly the working class) with their policies and idealistic promises to 'retain britishness'. I personally hope that whoever gets into power in May realises the internal effects that immigration and overt PC is causing, as it is the negligence and flippent behaviour of the big 3 that are making people turn to such radical groups. They must tackle the issue of immigration effectively, and listen to the working class in order to succeed ( I mean, it dosent hurt if st georges day or whatever can at least be recognised right.) it is exactly these type of people, the ones who are ignored, that can often obtain more power than any government.

What are your opinions on this ?
    Your opinion is my opinion. I too have been quite concerned by the rise of the BNP. Their ideolistic policies are promises not what will actually happen. I think the only reason people are voting for them is because they haven't seen the BNP mess up before, since they've never been elected. They actually believe the BNP can do something about this. If only the big 3 would wake up....

ReputationRep:
    I think I am more concerned generally in the comments posted on the group. The more anti-muslim the UK becomes, the more support the BNP may get, as it is already using this at a stage to get votes.

Im more worried that the UK, the place ive grown up in my whole life without a problem, will eventually become an extremely unwelcoming place, particularly if the BNP increase their presence around the UK.

ReputationRep:
    The National Front never gained real influential power, yes granted the BNP attempts to disguise itself as a legitimate party, but if the UK ever reaches the level of idiocy necessary to elect basically the first reich of britain, i will willingly shoot the ******

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought anyone who votes for BNP is either racist or doesn't have a clue about the BNP.. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    its realism not racism, carnt you see whats happening to our country?????? soon it wont be england anymore am not racist but somthing needs doing about it, why carnt evrey one live in there own countries???

:teehee:

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    92% of the country is white British...this country is a far cry from being overrun with immigration.

ReputationRep:
    the country is as likely to become overrun by foreign people as it is for north korea, iran, the usa and china to go and have a big tea party in the clouds. Immigration into urban centres does not reflect the percentage of non british people in the country, theyre still a tiny minority.Granted, there should be a cap on immigration, and we should start to recieve only the best of the best and those in real dire need, but if you think electing the bnp is a solution for the problem, then you have succumbed to ignorance and their lies. and Democracy, unless you're just a non-iranian with an extraordinary interest in the country, the BNP would deport you too, they intend to repatriate ( send back) everyone of non white-british origin to their original countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouExperienced?)
    the country is as likely to become overrun by foreign people as it is for north korea, iran, the usa and china to go and have a big tea party in the clouds. Immigration into urban centres does not reflect the percentage of non british people in the country, theyre still a tiny minority.Granted, there should be a cap on immigration, and we should start to recieve only the best of the best and those in real dire need, but if you think electing the bnp is a solution for the problem, then you have succumbed to ignorance and their lies. and Democracy, unless you're just a non-iranian with an extraordinary interest in the country, the BNP would deport you too, they intend to repatriate ( send back) everyone of non white-british origin to their original countries.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that, what's your point? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's very very unlikely that they will get a seat. They're stuck at about 3% in opinion polls even though the main parties are complete fails. I don't think there are enough people around who are stupid enough to vote for them at the moment. And they're not really right wing btw :P

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, yes the British public are "stupid" enough to vote for the BNP. Remember, this is the same public that voted in Labour for three consecutive terms... now we are in economic ruin.
    Secondly, I do not fear the BNP's rise, though I am not a fan of the Left Wing BNP. Luckily for me, my family has been in East England/London for many many many generations.
    Thirdly, the First Past the Post voting system will own the BNP.

The BNP's vote isn't consolidated enough in any one area to break the FPTP barrier. Plus they got far less votes in 2005 than UKIP did, and also far less European election votes, and they have far less local councillors.

UKIP are much more likely to achieve success in the GE than the BNP, and even UKIP have next to no chance of winning a single seat.

In other words, chillax everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Vote UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    It's simple really. You want to get rid of the BNP for good? Easy. Labour or those other turds, the Tories, who are likely to come to office in May, need to stop pissing and moaning about them and do their job.

Address the problem. Sort out the countries pisspoor approach to immigration and round up and send back the million+ (?) illegals in the country. Do that and I guarantee the BNP will dissapear overnight. What's the big deal?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we should ever under-estimate right wing parties, more facist groups have gained support throughout Europe and most are in the European Parliament were over 70% of laws are now made. Hitler's rise to power was swift, and Musollini and Franco were also facist's within their countries. Not much different from today really, all we can do it VOTE and CAMPAIGN, so people see the real BNP behind the facade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R91)
    I don't think we should ever under-estimate right wing parties, more facist groups have gained support throughout Europe and most are in the European Parliament were over 70% of laws are now made. Hitler's rise to power was swift, and Musollini and Franco were also facist's within their countries. Not much different from today really, all we can do it VOTE and CAMPAIGN, so people see the real BNP behind the facade.
    lol are you comparing the British National Party to Hitler's Nazi Party?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    It's simple really. You want to get rid of the BNP for good? Easy. Labour or those other turds, the Tories who are likely to come to office in May, need to stop pissing and moaning about them and do their job.

Address the problem. Sort out the countries pisspoor approach to immigration and round up and send back the million (?) illegals in the country. Do that and I guarantee the BNP will dissapear overnight. What's the big deal?
    I concur . It's pitiful that the first time the word immigration was even uttered by one of the main parties was on Question Time. Their unwillingness to acknowledge public unrest made everything so much worse.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by AreYouExperienced?)
    I couldn't agree more. I think Nick Griffin said on Question Time at one point that he wanted to take the population back to what it was like at the last Ice Age! Just an utterly stupid idea. Even 'White Britons' are in some way descended from immigrants: Saxons, Normans, Vikings etc.

I'd really love to trace Griffin's family tree to see if he too has any "foreign" ancestors...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.