Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just received an offer from Leeds Metropolitan University, to study
    ‘Business and Management’.
    I just wanted to know if this course is good to end up in Investment Banking
    p.s I wane to do a Master @ city something with finance

Can anyone tell me what to do and how I can end up in IB ?? pleaseee

ReputationRep:
    FFS! Just read around.... There is a thread for this kinda stuff at the top of the forum. Just post there.

Why are you going to Leeds met anyway?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glock2010)
    Yes, just make sure you get atleast a 2.2 and have duke of ed to write on your cv.

ReputationRep:

First thing to concentrate on is getting a good degree. IB is pretty competitive to get into and coming from a non top 5 uni does make things more difficult, but not impossible. If you get a good degree (pref. 1st but also 2:1), you have a good chance of getting into a better uni for a MSc in finance say, and from there you could definitely get into IB if you are genuinely interested and prepare for your interviews well.

to be honest the other posters are right - this kind of question has been asked several times before, but I know that sometimes you just want to ask a specific question about yourself.

good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark_link)
    First thing to concentrate on is getting a good degree. IB is pretty competitive to get into and coming from a non top 5 uni does make things more difficult, but not impossible. If you get a good degree (pref. 1st but also 2:1), you have a good chance of getting into a better uni for a MSc in finance say, and from there you could definitely get into IB if you are genuinely interested and prepare for your interviews well.

to be honest the other posters are right - this kind of question has been asked several times before, but I know that sometimes you just want to ask a specific question about yourself.

good luck with everything
    Thank you very much

and my bad :banghead: :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    The issue here is if the OP is going to Leeds met he/she probably (apologies if my assumptions are wrong) doesn't even meet the minimum a-level requirements, regardless of masters.

OP: in your position I would still try, but have extremely low expectations about your chances of making it.

I suggest you look into back up plans, but don't know what else to suggest as most other grad schemes still care about A-Level grades at the beginning of the process. The minimum most places consider is ABB.

ReputationRep:

I am not 100% sure how the university process works in the U.K., but one thing I can assure you is that you will be successful if you try hard, very hard.

As someone said earlier, your degree matters a lot in banking. I suggest that you try transferring to one of these schools: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick, UCL, and Imperial. You can even try going to KCL, Nottingham, Manchester, Bristol and etc. Or you can even try universities abroad: SSE, Rotterdam, Bocconi and etc.

If you can't transfer during your undergraduate year and assuming that you don't get a job in banking, try going for one of the MSc programs at aforementioned universities.

Study hard and network.

Best of luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    Slim to no chance from Leeds Met.

ReputationRep:
    No. You have zero chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    No. You have zero chance.
    What about being able to achieve anything if you put your mind to it? For all you know this guy could be the next Bud Fox!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    What about being able to achieve anything if you put your mind to it? For all you know this guy could be the next Bud Fox!
    Superb analogy, you're right. He could take a leaf out of Bud Fox's book...give up on his dream of being an Investment Banker, become a criminal, partake in corporate espionage then get arrested and punched in the face by Michael Douglas.

:top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Superb analogy, you're right. He could take a leaf out of Bud Fox's book...give up on his dream of being an Investment Banker, become a criminal, partake in corporate espionage then get arrested and punched in the face by Michael Douglas.

:top:
    Only to be replaced by Shia the Beef in Money Never Sleeps....

ReputationRep:
    Damnn some people are really negative, like im gone listen to you guys I aint one of them guys that you can easily can put their confidence down. every time some of you guys give me a sh*T answer the more I get motivated: D

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

And thanks for the people who gave me good advice..

ReputationRep:
    Damnn some people are really negative, like im gone listen to you guys I aint one of them guys that you can easily can put their confidence down. every time some of you guys give me a sh*T answer the more I get motivated: D

You asked for opinions, and it is my genuine opinion that it will be almost impossible to get into IB from Leeds Met. Firstly, banks have autofilters requiring a minimum of ABB/AAB at A Level, I might be making an assumption here, but if you had those A Levels then I'd have thought you'd be at a higher ranker uni. The Leeds Met Alumni network in the City must be pretty thin, and banks won't visit your uni come Milkround time.

Maybe get a first, network like hell then do an MSc at Oxford/Cambridge/LSE then you might have a chance.

ReputationRep:

They're not negative. They're realistic. Don't come to a forum asking for opinions and be upset that people are truthful. I've never really heard of anyone from Leeds Met in a front office position in investment banking...

all this crap saying 'if you try really hard anything is possible'

yeah, if only he actually started trying during his GCSEs or A-levels so he could go to a good uni, then it would be possible.

its hard enough to get in from a targeted uni, let alone leeds met.

ReputationRep:
    We're usually pretty upbeat about people's chances if they work hard.

But you're at Leeds Met. Let's face it, you're not very bright.

ReputationRep:
    who said I'm upset ?

I Know leeds met is not good uni but i had no other option . that is what im gone do try get a 1st and then do Msc at a beter univeristy.

I personaly think anything is possible as long you put your mind into it.

ReputationRep:
    who said I'm upset ?

I Know leeds met is not good uni but i had no other option . that is what im gone do try get a 1st and then do Msc at a beter univeristy.

I personaly think anything is possible as long you put your mind into it.

You're failing to see the point. Even with an MSc if you don't have the A-level grades a lot of places will automatically screen you out. What A-Levels do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think you could do with a few years out.

At 17 I had my head up in the clouds with dreams of earning loadsa money in big business. I mucked about in school and drifted through my A-Levels (Effectively failing them) and ended up not going to Uni. Best thing that ever happened to me

Few years out thinking I'll make the big bucks by working my way up etc etc. Now I've come of age at 21 and now I really know what I want to do, working desperately hard for it as well. Went back to college and I'm now waiting for the London School of Economics to get back to me.

So to conclude, you realistically have no chance of earning big bucks in investment banking from a LM degree. Maybe live a little and then in a few years you'll perhaps find the drive to go to college and get into a top University.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.