Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a-levels in Business Studies B Dutch B and D in Law

does it as well matter if I move abroad or do they still need my A-levels ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glock2010)

Dude, be realistic. It sounds like your dreaming again;

Wanting to be an investment banker, from Leeds met with those grades.
    Moving abroad to a fantasy adventure.

Srsly?

ReputationRep:

Seriously think about a different career. You're heading for a huge disappointment...

ReputationRep:
    Y not ?

I wanne do good at leeds met get a 1st and then move on to do a Msc at a beter uni and then move abroad ????

ReputationRep:
    You could always retake your A-levels, turn that D to a B and the rest into A's and you'll be in a much better position.

ReputationRep:
    Y not ?

I wanne do good at leeds met get a 1st and then move on to do a Msc at a beter uni and then move abroad ????
    It's not that I don't have faith in your ability (Like I indirectly said in my previous post), It's just like saying you want to play for England and floundering about in the conference. Sure you could do a Jimmy Bullard and beat all the odds to work your way up the university league to England team stardom. Chances are that it's not going to be possible.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Y not ?

not being mean but (1) applying to banks will lead to an automatic rejection as you do not meet the minimum A-Level requirements, doesn’t matter how good your CV is because no one will see it. (2) with those grades you must question your aptitude for banking and whether you are intellectually up to standard, (3) getting into a good grad school isn't the easiest thing, the courses are still competitive and very expensive (LSE around £20,000 - with little funding available)

IB is very hard to get into from a target school, I know capable students at the LSE with straight As and A*s who have not been able to secure an internship. Rethink why banking appeals to you and look at other career paths.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Business, Dutch & Law aren't what you should be looking to do for Investment Banking.

Try Economics

anything is possible as long you put your mind into it.
    Thats probably the same line given to sweatshop workers.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but you will need a miracle.

ReputationRep:
    Two of your A-levels are on oxbridges no-fly list and I'm assuming from the name "glock" that you didn't just do dutch because you like pancakes.

You could re-sit all your a-levels but even then, there are people from the top unis, with top A-level grades who still aren't getting the internships.

Sorry mate but it ain't gonna happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Thats probably the same line given to sweatshop workers.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=OWNED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    all this crap saying 'if you try really hard anything is possible'

yeah, if only he actually started trying during his GCSEs or A-levels so he could go to a good uni, then it would be possible.

its hard enough to get in from a targeted uni, let alone leeds met.
    Don't be such an ass, some people do not know what kind of job they want during gcse's and did not realise the importance of getting 6+ a*'s at gcse's to even stand a chance at top uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    Don't be such an ass, some people do not know what kind of job they want during gcse's and did not realise the importance of getting 6+ a*'s at gcse's to even stand a chance at top uni's.
    *looks at profile* like you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    *looks at profile* like you?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmauUbBKXII

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    What about being able to achieve anything if you put your mind to it? For all you know this guy could be the next Bud Fox!
    Still, Bud Fox went to New York University - Stern School of Business...

ReputationRep:
    I went to Leeds Met for my undergrad, Im from Canada so didn't do A levels, and I attended AC's for Barclays Wealth, Lloyds Corporate Markets, and KPMG Investment Advisory this past year. I have already secured a job so it is not impossible. However, it is impossible IMO to get a sniff at any BB bank, so dont waste your time applying there. Having said all of that, where you start off means sweet f**k all once you get in as you will be judged on your performance. Also, work experience and networking are key to getting a sniff at any bank if you dont have the brand name school on your CV. I graduated from the Met in 2007, went to work for Barclays for 2 years, got some good experience, made some contacts, saved up enough to do a masters, and applied to over 50 banks for work experience last summer. In 4 years time I will be a qualified CFA with a good name on my CV and enough contacts to go where I want, so just work hard and it can happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianGretzky99)
    I went to Leeds Met for my undergrad, Im from Canada so didn't do A levels, and I attended AC's for Barclays Wealth, Lloyds Corporate Markets, and KPMG Investment Advisory this past year. I have already secured a job so it is not impossible. However, it is impossible IMO to get a sniff at any BB bank, so dont waste your time applying there. Having said all of that, where you start off means sweet f**k all once you get in as you will be judged on your performance. Also, work experience and networking are key to getting a sniff at any bank if you dont have the brand name school on your CV. I graduated from the Met in 2007, went to work for Barclays for 2 years, got some good experience, made some contacts, saved up enough to do a masters, and applied to over 50 banks for work experience last summer. In 4 years time I will be a qualified CFA with a good name on my CV and enough contacts to go where I want, so just work hard and it can happen.
    Damn those Canadian quotas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianGretzky99)
    Did you do A-Level Dutch?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.