Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianGretzky99)
    I went to Leeds Met for my undergrad, Im from Canada so didn't do A levels, and I attended AC's for Barclays Wealth, Lloyds Corporate Markets, and KPMG Investment Advisory this past year. I have already secured a job so it is not impossible. However, it is impossible IMO to get a sniff at any BB bank, so dont waste your time applying there. Having said all of that, where you start off means sweet f**k all once you get in as you will be judged on your performance. Also, work experience and networking are key to getting a sniff at any bank if you dont have the brand name school on your CV. I graduated from the Met in 2007, went to work for Barclays for 2 years, got some good experience, made some contacts, saved up enough to do a masters, and applied to over 50 banks for work experience last summer. In 4 years time I will be a qualified CFA with a good name on my CV and enough contacts to go where I want, so just work hard and it can happen.

(Original post by Who2004uk)
    Did you do A-Level Dutch?

:rolleyes: Reading fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    :rolleyes: Reading fail.
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs24/f/20...hatweirdo7.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    Personally I think you could do with a few years out.

At 17 I had my head up in the clouds with dreams of earning loadsa money in big business. I mucked about in school and drifted through my A-Levels (Effectively failing them) and ended up not going to Uni. Best thing that ever happened to me

Few years out thinking I'll make the big bucks by working my way up etc etc. Now I've come of age at 21 and now I really know what I want to do, working desperately hard for it as well. Went back to college and I'm now waiting for the London School of Economics to get back to me.

So to conclude, you realistically have no chance of earning big bucks in investment banking from a LM degree. Maybe live a little and then in a few years you'll perhaps find the drive to go to college and get into a top University.
    This 100times.

1. Quit college
    2. Don't go uni
    3. Re-Do A level and get minimum ABB, if you’re ethnic minority then get BBB and apply through SEO.
    4. Work while re-doing A level. Switch Dutch for Maths. Maths is a requirement.
    5. Apply for top universities e.g. oxbridge/bath/bristol as a mature student.
    6. Apply for spring week internships and in your second year, try to apply for both front office and back office internships, same for graduate position.
    7. If all that doesn't go to plan, than do a master and apply for masters and do an internship while doing your masters.

Or (This one is very risky, one my friends got an internship and a job but it might be very very had) buy this theanalystexchange.com, it basically teachers you finical modelling and you get a guaranteed interview at a investment bank (Top 6) and from then on its whether or not they like you. To prove my point, look at this:

Wall street journal and Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/prnewswi...__DA25109.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1262...html#printMode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    *looks at profile* like you?
    *sighs* Sorry for not getting 7 A*'s and 3 A's. Won't happen again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    Two of your A-levels are on oxbridges no-fly list.
    And this matters...how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    And this matters...how?
    Because they're joke subjects that any ****-wit could get an A in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glock2010)

I Know leeds met is not good uni but i had no other option .
    Other than working harder and getting into somewhere better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Other than working harder and getting into somewhere better?
    My sentiments exactly.

ReputationRep:
    I have done four ib internships throughout my degree and did not meet one Leeds Met student.

Your A-Level results are appalling. They suggest that you do not have the basic intelligence to get a decent GMAT score in order to get on to a finance MSc. The institutions that do not require GMAT will see you A-Level results coupled with your undergraduate degree, the person reviewing your application will chuckle to himself as he shows it to his buddies, they'll spend a few minutes laughing at your profile before placing your application in to the bin.

Even if you had straight As at A-Level you would still be a terrible candidate. The subjects that you've chosen are unexplainable. Why didn't you do Maths? You could probably get away without a Maths if you did Economics, Physics etc. but you didn't.

Your only chance is to get a first class in your degree and a ridiculous GMAT score, apply to a European uni that places a massive emphasis on GMAT and apply to banks with an MSc in Finance. The chances of this happening are pretty small.

Even if you do get this far and get your MSc you're going to struggle to secure a graduate job. If you apply online your application will be rejected automatically before any human even gets the chance to look at it. Your only hope would be to secure a placement through contacts.

Is anyone in your family high-the-****-up at an investment bank?
    Does you family have a particularly big fund with a bank?

My suggestion if you want to get in to banking would be to reject Leeds Met, go to college, do some real A-Levels and then go to a real uni.

I have a feeling the OP is just on a massive wind-up anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    I have done four ib internships throughout my degree and did not meet one Leeds Met student.

Your A-Level results are appalling. They suggest that you do not have the basic intelligence to get a decent GMAT score in order to get on to a finance MSc. The institutions that do not require GMAT will see you A-Level results coupled with your undergraduate degree, the person reviewing your application will chuckle to himself as he shows it to his buddies, they'll spend a few minutes laughing at your profile before placing your application in to the bin.

Even if you had straight As at A-Level you would still be a terrible candidate. The subjects that you've chosen are unexplainable. Why didn't you do Maths? You could probably get away without a Maths if you did Economics, Physics etc. but you didn't.

Your only chance is to get a first class in your degree and a ridiculous GMAT score, apply to a European uni that places a massive emphasis on GMAT and apply to banks with an MSc in Finance. The chances of this happening are pretty small.

Even if you do get this far and get your MSc you're going to struggle to secure a graduate job. If you apply online your application will be rejected automatically before any human even gets the chance to look at it. Your only hope would be to secure a placement through contacts.

Is anyone in your family high-the-****-up at an investment bank?
    Does you family have a particularly big fund with a bank?

My suggestion if you want to get in to banking would be to reject Leeds Met, go to college, do some real A-Levels and then go to a real uni.

I have a feeling the OP is just on a massive wind-up anyway.
    Firm but fair...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.