Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How often should you wash your hair? watch

A bit random but how often should you wash your hair?
    I've been washing mine twice a day with shampoo, thats just because i like to wake myself up in the morning with a shower and then one again so i feel clean before i go to bed, i wash my hair every time i go for a shower.

I know i'm washing it tooo much as i can go washing it just once a day but any longer and it just feels greasy and unclean.

Am I damaging my hair doing it his often?
    I'm male 20yrs old if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Twice a day is maybe a little much. Then again I was mine once a day and some people say that is too much! It depends on your hair type really, I think anyway. Im going to try and cut it down so I just wash it with shampoo every other day, and just wash with water in between....well, we shall see anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard the more you wash your hair, the more quickly it becomes greasy, as it adopts to a routine. Not sure how credible that statement is, but an interesting point nonetheless. If you want to wash it less frequently, perhaps just gradually change to once a day or something? And I'm not sure washing it frequently damages the hair.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody 'ell at that rate you'll be lucky to have any hair left. Washing your hair every other day should be enough.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds far too much. You're just stripping the moisture from your hair. I wash mine once every 4-5 days.

ReputationRep:
    I have a shower every morning

ReputationRep:
    I wash mine every other day.. occasionally the day after that if it's not too bad and I'm too busy/feeling lazy.

ReputationRep:
    once a day is what I do.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that apprently, if you dont' wash your own hair for like a couple of weeks or something, your head "washes" itself, by secreting oils or something etc to make itself clean.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, also! Forgot to add - dry shampoo = lifesaver! I have used it countless times when I've got up too late to wash my hair before a lecture.

ReputationRep:
    3 times a week, I shower everydaybut dont always wet the hair... My hair never gets greasy but I wash it anyway... Im white but my hair has some sort of african origin of thickness... hmmm its good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBean123)
    Ah, also! Forgot to add - dry shampoo = lifesaver! I have used it countless times when I've got up too late to wash my hair before a lecture.
    Wth is dry shampoo? :confused:

I haven't washed mine in quite a long time, but I don't think you're meant to. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have to wash it every day my hair is fine and thin and so it looks like I'm a drowned rat the next day if I don't wash it.

I thought it was customary to wash it every other day.

ReputationRep:
    Every other day for me, although it depends on the shampoo I use. Sometimes everyday but most of the time every other day.

I read if you wash it more than every other day then it just wrecks your hair, dunno if its true but I dont need to wash it anymore often then that most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turquoise1234)
    Wth is dry shampoo? :confused:
    It comes in a can, its a sort of powder shampoo that absorbs the grease in your hair so you can get away with not washing it for a day. I use the Batiste tropical, it smells really nice.

Basically you spray it all over your hair, massage it in with your fingers, then brush it through, and you're good to go.

http://www.batistedryshampoo.co.uk

Have a look on there, they sell it in Boots and Superdrug and its only about £3.

ReputationRep:
    Every 1 or 2 days is usual.

ReputationRep:
    I wash it whenever it starts to look eew. Depending on what I've been doing it could be every day or not for 4 days - I go by how it looks and feels rather than any sort of routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBean123)
    It comes in a can, its a sort of powder shampoo that absorbs the grease in your hair so you can get away with not washing it for a day. I use the Batiste tropical, it smells really nice.

Basically you spray it all over your hair, massage it in with your fingers, then brush it through, and you're good to go.

http://www.batistedryshampoo.co.uk

Have a look on there, they sell it in Boots and Superdrug and its only about £3.
    ah cool, thanks :top:

ReputationRep:
    Tend to wash it every 3-4 days cos my hair tends to be nicest the day after i've washed it as its had a chance to settle down as it's always more static and too light on the day I wash it to do anything excet leave it down.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.