Turn on thread page Beta

Slight dilemma on my hands with regard to qualifications getting in to the RAF watch

ReputationRep:
    Job description: Pilot fast-jet, multi-engine or rotary-wing aircraft
    Pay after training: £33,950
    (including flying pay)

Joining age: 17.5 – 25

Category: Officers

Usual service: 12 years

Open to: men or women
    Similar civilian jobs:

Commercial airline pilot
    Pilot trainer
    Commercial helicopter pilot
    Qualifications you need: 2 A-levels or 3 Highers or equivalent, plus 5 GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3 minimum or equivalent, including English language and maths

Qualifications you can gain: Degree or Masters degree
    Nationality: UK citizen or holder of dual UK/other nationality

Right, so basically, i meet the requirements for the 2 A-levels or equilivant with a B-TEC National Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science (achieving a MMP - 200 UCAS Points)

Where I fall short is on the GCSE scale:

Maths - B
    Physical Education - C
    History - C
    English Literature - C
    English Language - D (1 bloody mark off a C, even had the paper remarked; I didn't bother with much of the coursework)
    French - D
    Graphics - D
    Science D/D

Now, I’d like to think I’ve come a long way since I was 16 in terms of my English skills, however its what's written in black and white that counts.

I'm 25 atm, surely with C's in both history and English Literature (not forgetting my Diploma) would be enough for them to let not having English Language slide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tennis_Maestro)
    I hate to break it to you mate but you may be out of luck. There is no reason why you can't ask the AFCO and go through the application process, but just be prepared to be told no at any point. Can you not take the GCSE as a private candidate?

Just to probe a little further: What you been doing with yourself between leaving school and now?

ReputationRep:
    In all truthiness i don't have the motivation to enrol in a college on an English Language course to then have to go through the ordeal of coursework’s, both written and oral followed by exams. It’s painstakingly tedious and not worth my time imo.

Probably sounds a bit arrogant but that’s how i feel. Wouldn't they just be able to grasp an idea of level of English through my aptitude test? What if I aced the English section of that? Or are they in the business of being extremely clean cut and by the book?

In brief:
    After my GCSE's I took a stab @ 3 A-levels I had no interest in and dropped out after the AS's with a C and 2 E's. I wasn't sure of where I was going so decided to just earn money, I worked in Iceland for a year and half, did the usual teenage nonsense thing, you know? After that lived off Job Seekers, reached 20 and did my 2 year B-TEC in Sports Science.

22 approaching 23 I went to University (learnt independence lol) to do Sports management, breezed the fresher’s year without really trying and well basically this is supposed to be my gap year.

ReputationRep:
    My advice to you is to go to the AFCO and explain your situation.

You seem switched on so go for it.

The second problem you may have (as well as not having the English GCSE) is explaining your, shall we say, non-standard life-path. You have to convince them that you are as good if not better for the job as someone who's wanted to be an RAF Officer and Pilot from the word go. Who has also passed the aptitude tests and got good grades as school and possibly university.

You need to demonstrate Officer Qualities: the ability to lead and inspire people; because at the end of the day you are Officer first and Pilot second, as a Direct Entrant you won't even go near anything flying related for almost the first year of your career. How have you proven that you have the leadership, responsibility and teamwork potential? Lots of people on this forum have posted about all the things they do: DofE, Cadets, Voluntary work etc.

Food for thought mate.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you know your gonna get to ride the ROFLcopter

ReputationRep:
    In all truthiness i don't have the motivation to enrol in a college on an English Language course to then have to go through the ordeal of coursework’s, both written and oral followed by exams. It’s painstakingly tedious and not worth my time imo.

Probably sounds a bit arrogant but that’s how i feel. Wouldn't they just be able to grasp an idea of level of English through my aptitude test? What if I aced the English section of that? Or are they in the business of being extremely clean cut and by the book?

In brief:
    After my GCSE's I took a stab @ 3 A-levels I had no interest in and dropped out after the AS's with a C and 2 E's. I wasn't sure of where I was going so decided to just earn money, I worked in Iceland for a year and half, did the usual teenage nonsense thing, you know? After that lived off Job Seekers, reached 20 and did my 2 year B-TEC in Sports Science.

22 approaching 23 I went to University (learnt independence lol) to do Sports management, breezed the fresher’s year without really trying and well basically this is supposed to be my gap year.

No offence or anything, but it seems like you have a tough time with motiviation and holding stuff down. Which, looks like you might not be cut out for life in the Services.
    (Expert on the matter I am not)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you haven't got the motivation to pass a GCSE, you might not have the motivation to pass the required tests and training required. Thats how I read your post.
    You need the grades - they won't accept less - why should they? You are looking at a career with far more applicants than posts.

Someone please clarify the current age limit - what is it 'into training' now?

ReputationRep:
    You got to ask yourself, is your heart and mind in it?, you got to want it so badly you are prepared to fight for it (not literally)...if you simply can’t be bothered to do a GCSE, then I’m doubting determination, which is a vital quality you need...it’s not some job you can just swan into.
    If you think you want it mad enough, then go to you AFCO and ask them...i believe the upper age limit is 25, so would you have time to go and do you GSCE now?

ReputationRep:
    Try a learn direct course. I only got a D in English too but over the summer I did a learn direct course at my mums work to boost my Uni chances. I say course, but I took the test straight away and passed first time.

It's the equivilent of and A-C grade at GCSE. Think it costs about £13 to do the test, money well spent IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't they just be able to grasp an idea of level of English through my aptitude test? What if I aced the English section of that?
    If you can't get a C at GCSE, what makes you think you'll ace the aptitude? Particularly in view of your other grades.

Age limit is 25 - AFAIK that means you must be in training before your 26th birthday, although someone else may be able to confirm. Given that the application process takes an average of about a year, your age is also against you.

So ... what do you have to offer that would persuade them to bend the rules for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    If you can't get a C at GCSE, what makes you think you'll ace the aptitude? Particularly in view of your other grades.

Age limit is 25 - AFAIK that means you must be in training before your 26th birthday, although someone else may be able to confirm. Given that the application process takes an average of about a year, your age is also against you.

So ... what do you have to offer that would persuade them to bend the rules for you?
    Oh come off it now, that was 9 years ago, I don't see why I should be continually punished for a lazy sin I committed as a (fairly young) teen, had I been bothered with the coursework, in all probability the grade would've been achieved, or even higher.

Had I really been a D student in English Langiage I very much doubt I’d have been able to pull off 2 merits and a pass @ B-TEC Diploma level? Its evident, like many children, I didn't care much for my GCSE's.

I could retake English language, only it would mean enrolling in a college in September and then sitting the exam post-December, which as stated earlier by an earlier poster, makes my ineligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    My advice to you is to go to the AFCO and explain your situation.

You seem switched on so go for it.

The second problem you may have (as well as not having the English GCSE) is explaining your, shall we say, non-standard life-path. You have to convince them that you are as good if not better for the job as someone who's wanted to be an RAF Officer and Pilot from the word go. Who has also passed the aptitude tests and got good grades as school and possibly university.

You need to demonstrate Officer Qualities: the ability to lead and inspire people; because at the end of the day you are Officer first and Pilot second, as a Direct Entrant you won't even go near anything flying related for almost the first year of your career. How have you proven that you have the leadership, responsibility and teamwork potential? Lots of people on this forum have posted about all the things they do: DofE, Cadets, Voluntary work etc.

Food for thought mate.

Hope that helps.
    Very useful post, thanks. I'm going to look in to the selection process and make a decision on whether its realistic for me to go for.

I rang them up and they basically said the same as you, they'll be looking for an explanation on what I had been up to since school, whilst also questioning me on what sort of strong individual attributes I possess which make me suitable for the role.

ReputationRep:
    They will not let it slide! Without the GCSE the only job you can do is RAF Infantry! Go back to college n re do the exam mate. Nothing else you can do!

Also its IMMENSELY difficult to get through the selection process anyways. Trust me I have done it! You need the GCSE plus alt more to even get considered!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lloyd_wills)
    They will not let it slide! Without the GCSE the only job you can do is RAF Infantry! Go back to college n re do the exam mate. Nothing else you can do!

Also its IMMENSELY difficult to get through the selection process anyways. Trust me I have done it! You need the GCSE plus alt more to even get considered!!
    What's an alt?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered alternatives? Such as the Army Air Corps? I don't know much about them to be honest, but it might be worth a look. Someone on here might even know.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come off it now, that was 9 years ago, I don't see why I should be continually punished for a lazy sin I committed as a (fairly young) teen, had I been bothered with the coursework, in all probability the grade would've been achieved, or even higher.
    But you didn't bother. Plenty of other people did, and they got the grade - and they're the people you're competing against.

The problem is, it doesn't just look like one lazy sin as a teenager - you also couldn't be bothered with your A levels, and now you've completed one year of a not-very-academic degree and are on some kind of gap year. It may just be the way you've described it, but unfortunately the not-bothering for your GCSE doesn't come across as a one-off, it comes across as part of a pattern.

I know I sound harsh, but these are questions you're going to have to be able to answer at the AFCO and even perhaps later at OASC, and they're likely to probe this a lot. What happens if you decide you can't be bothered with working on IOT? Or EFT, or beyond? You need to satisfy them it ISN'T a pattern.

When I first applied, they didn't give two hoots that I had a degree - I still needed my two Cs.

Had I really been a D student in English Langiage I very much doubt I’d have been able to pull off 2 merits and a pass @ B-TEC Diploma level? Its evident, like many children, I didn't care much for my GCSE's.
    Not caring much isn't a very good excuse for not knuckling down, unfortunately. There will be plenty of things in any career you don't care much for, but you need the ability to just get on with it. I understand exactly how you feel, I'm just making the point that it isn't perhaps the most useful justification.

ReputationRep:
    What's an alt?
    I ment to say ALOT not alt. Type haha my bad!
    Seriously though my cousin asked in the AFCO what he could do without GCSE English, the guy handed him a leaflet for the infantry n then moved onto the next person! :eek3:

ReputationRep:

I could retake English language, only it would mean enrolling in a college in September and then sitting the exam post-December, which as stated earlier by an earlier poster, makes my ineligible.
    If you think your sop clever then go n tell all this crap to them. They will just throw you out of the AFCO and not even consider you for the selection Process. You seem to know it all. Well take it from someone who has done the selection process and been all the way through the process. You need the qualifications. They check them through out the process!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lloyd_wills)
    Well take it from someone who has done the selection process and been all the way through the process. You need the qualifications. They check them through out the process!!
    What did you apply for and were you successful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm_UK)
    What did you apply for and were you successful?
    I applied for weapons system operator. I went up with 40 others and was in the final 6 left at the end. Only us 6 made it all the way through the recruitment process. I was the only one there that hadn't been to the OASC before. For some it was there second time others there third. Some of which had been serving in the RAF in lower roles for the past 5-15 years.

I passed all the tests but failed a corneal scan Had an eye condition I didnt know about :eek3: but oh well nothing I can do about that!

It really is tough though. If you look at my posts I made a detailed account of the selection process on some ones thread asking about WIZOPS!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.