Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Slight dilemma on my hands with regard to qualifications getting in to the RAF watch

(Original post by Wzz)
    Thing is, you've proven in this thread that you still have the same poor attitude. You're asking if there's a way to skip a qualification, claiming it's pointless and that they should just be able to tell you're good enough without the qualification to prove it.

Then you say you can't be bothered to do a college course to get the GCSE, and as far as your current academics go, you've not shown any sign of changing through GCSEs, A levels or beyond. Being "sociable" is a bizarre excuse; I think I was extremely sociable through university, but that didn't stop me being able to actually get a degree in the appropriate timescale. I stand by my previous comment; it is dull to fail to realise, as a near-adult doing A levels, that your qualifications are worth putting some effort into.

It will make you look bad to an interviewer, because you've got absolutely no evidence that you've changed in any way, because there's no sign of an upturn in your academic performance. Flying training is like doing a degree, and the RAF would be paying for it to the tune of millions; if you don't have the academic track record to look like a good risk, why would they bother?

Taking a gap year to seriously look into kicking off this career is another odd one; if your academic year started in September, why is it already February and you haven't done anything other than look at the requirements and post here? Hundred of people manage to set themselves up to pass OASC while attending school or university, so it doesn't look particularly good that you've decided you need a year out to do it, especially when you consider that you've committed to that year out before looking in to the qualifications or requirements.

You can say you've changed as much as you like (and I say all this as a trained interviewer!) but you need some evidence! So, I'd get back on my uni course as rapidly as I could, and find the fastest possible way to get my GCSE I needed, regardless of how much night school or self-study it required. Kids sit their GCSEs in May-June time, right? Study yourself and apply to sit the exam; you don't even need a formal course to follow.
    are you saying that if youve stuck to something and got your qualifications in the field then this is what the royal air force is looking for?
    • CV Helper

CV Helper
    From an aircrew perspective, having a degree (for example) looks good as it proves that you've been able to absorb a long, strenuous scheme of training that lasts for several years, like flying training does.

If you've set several precedents of getting bored, changing your mind, dropping out, etc etc, then it doesn't make you look like a good bet, as the worry is there that you'll get 3 years through 5 years of flying before getting bored and leaving.

(Original post by death_on_the_stairs)
    Try a learn direct course...I say course, but I took the test straight away and passed first time.
    See now there's some good, constructive advice that offers you a way to do the qualification on time.
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    Age limit is 25 - AFAIK that means you must be in training before your 26th birthday
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    Given that the application process takes an average of about a year, your age is also against you.
    Yes, if you are actually interested in going pilot, start talking to the AFCO asap. Army Air Corps' age limit is 27 unless it's changed recently, so that might be worth a look (as someone mentioned earlier) if the RAF's timescales aren't feasible.
    (Original post by Tennis_Maestro)
    I'm one of these people that works hard when something interests me
    It's easy to be that person, but the RAF isn't looking for that-you've got to be able to apply yourself even when you don't like what you're doing/where you're posted/who you're working with, or the training is really boring. You're kidding yourself if you think it's going to be an easy ride just because there's a chance you'll get to do a cool job at the end of it.
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Being "sociable" is a bizarre excuse; I think I was extremely sociable through university but that didn't stop me being able to actually get a degree in the appropriate timescale.
    And multitasking is an important pilot quality, right? If you can't drink beer and complete tomorrow's supervision work at the same time, how will you manage to drink tea AND read a paper at the same time?
    Wzz's point about demonstrating committment and putting the effort in is spot on-if you've given up on the idea of being a pilot because some people on the internet said it would be hard work, ask yourself how much 'easier' it will be to go RM.
    The people on this forum are not trying to insult you, they are trying to make you realise that for any job in the armed forces you are going to have to be able to demonstrate that you can commit to something and work hard towards it, even on those days when you hate it and you can't remember why you joined in the first place.
    They are looking for driven individuals-you don't have to be hugely intelligent, but having good qualifications is one way of demonstrating that you can apply yourself to something-perhaps you need to think about how else you might demonstrate this? One way would be, as has been suggested, to make some effort to redo the GCSE you are missing-then you can back up your statement that you've "changed" with evidence.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.