Turn on thread page Beta

Best course to be rich watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is the best Course to do in Uni. to be rich without having an own business.

And I mean rich by 6 figure salary by age of 27.

I think it is possible.

Actuary? Stockbroker ? might do..

ReputationRep:
    Do what you enjoy! Thats the best advice I can give you. You will be studying the subject for 3 or 4 years. And to do well, you have to enjoy what you do!

If you want to get into investment banking, where you can make a lot of money if you work very hard, you can do any degree. Ive had talks from people at investment banks, and gone to a workshop at one, and the thing they stress that people work their with any degree, even zoology (or however you spell it). If thats something you want to do, then work hard and get a 1st, from a good university in a subject you like, and get work experience in an investment bank or something. It would also show you if you'd actually enjoy it. Its not suited to everyone.

(Original post by illumintai)
    What is the best Course to do in Uni. to be rich without having an own business.

And I mean rich by 6 figure salary by age of 27.

I think it is possible.

Actuary? Stockbroker ? might do..
    My neighbour is an actuary and the impression I gained from talking to him was that if you want to be an actuary, it doesn't really matter what degree you do. He doesn't even have a degree. If you do maths or acturial science then you get exemptions from some of the exams, however acturial science isn't very broad and you are a bit screwed if you find you hate it and don't want to be an actuary. (Although, I suppose a degree is a degree and it's probably more relevant to other business jobs than something like history). Although actuaries are often very well paid, I very much doubt that you could be earning £100 000 a year by age 27. You'll be lucky to pass all the exams by then (I'm not kidding, some people take 12 years after a 4 degree to become a qualified actuary).

You could easily earn that as an accountant if you were made a partner. Partners at a big four firm, I think, are paid in excess of £400 000 a year. I'm not sure whether you could do this by 27, though. At any one time, 1 in 16 accountants in Deloitte are partners. Senior partners will earn 7 figure salaries and there are always a few accountants on the board of directors (?) who I expect would earn even more. You can become an accountant with any degree - there are senior partners with engineering degrees and law degrees.

I am pretty sure you could earn a 6 figure salary in I.T. by 27, but in the long run you probably wouldn't be as well paid as an actuary or lawyer or accountant.

In answer to the original question, I agree with emma in that it wouldn't really matter. Most high-paid jobs just require any degree (I guess the exceptions would be medicine, but even then, I think you could do a medicine degree after a science degree). The only important thing is whether or not you can do the job well.

ReputationRep:
    The Manchester Business School provides some of the highest earning post graduates in Europe. But the tution fees for their post graduate courses can be as high as £30,000 a year! So its only companies that pay that kind of money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Do a Maths Degree.
    Work for 3-4 yrs
    Then get a MBA from US Business Schools.
    (u won't get that by age of 27 though.)
    Or, do a business-type degree, CIMA and then an MBA from Cranfield, Warwick or, if you can't be bothered working too hard, one from Henley's where CIMA graduates get 50% exemptions.

By 27, technically you could have all this if you do the Henley MBA. It wouldn't cost that much to get it all, nothing if you can find someone else to pay for it.

By 27, a CIMA graduate with a good firm would expect a salary of about £50,000 depending on the quality of your undergrad degree.

A good MBA can supposedly add 30% to your salary so, via this route, at 27, if you are at the top of your game, you would be on £65,000 and this can only increase via promotions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    ...there too many people with MBA's now...its not like 20-30 yrs ago....a MBA from a good business school use be v.v.v.v.good (salary wise)
    You would want Warwick or Cranfield...or Harvard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    You would want Warwick or Cranfield...or Harvard!

why cranfield. why????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    why cranfield. why????
    It's one of the best regarded in Europe, ranked 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    the most "prestigius" MBA course in UK is by far and away the London Business School. in continental Europe, it's prob INSEAD.

accountants don't earn much when they first start off (certainly a lot lower than lawyers and investment bankers). but i agree if you are carreerist enough, an accountant may lead to a highly paid job as a company director (unlikely at 27).

investment banking is prob the way to go, but you need to be numerate. for those innumerate people out there, law is a good alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd)
    the most "prestigius" MBA course in UK is by far and away the London Business School. in continental Europe, it's prob INSEAD.

accountants don't earn much when they first start off (certainly a lot lower than lawyers and investment bankers). but i agree if you are carreerist enough, an accountant may lead to a highly paid job as a company director (unlikely at 27).

investment banking is prob the way to go, but you need to be numerate. for those innumerate people out there, law is a good alternative.
    I would have thought Warwick would be higher regarded?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought Warwick would be higher regarded?
    LoL no way...Wharton and HBS r the best in the world...
    As i said earlier if u wanna get an MBA go to US....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    LoL no way...Wharton and HBS r the best in the world...
    As i said earlier if u wanna get an MBA go to US....
    Oh yes, but others are highly repected.

The Economist ranks Cranfield as the best in the country and 11th in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, but others are highly repected.

The Economist ranks Cranfield as the best in the country and 11th in the world.

Then the Economists' research is utter rubbish, London Business School is the best. It's close to being on par with the top US schools. In Europe, LBS and INSEAD are the best, IMD (Swiss) is very good. Warwick and Cranfield are also reputable, but lack the international brand name at present.

ReputationRep:
    if u want to be rich do a course which is very academic and very hard. if u can do that u will have skills that few will have and thus have an easy time in the job market. however i think the question ur probably how can i get rich given how bight i am and the straight answer is the same as about but u will have to work alot harder!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the easiest way of getting rich quick is to not bother with university at all: leave school at 16, do apprenticeship in plumbing for a couple of years, then be a plumber in south east.

By three years you will have earned over £70000 in wages (say, c.£24000 pa) against uni student with -£10000 through debt, difference = £80000

Then consider likely wages. Most new graduates will earn c.£20000pa compared to plumber who'll earn by this point over £35000 pa. This trend goes on, do the maths, he'll be considerably richer by the age of 28 I am sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero876)
    I'd say the easiest way of getting rich quick is to not bother with university at all: leave school at 16, do apprenticeship in plumbing for a couple of years, then be a plumber in south east.
    i get the impression tho that this person doesnt want to get their hands dirty if u see what i mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    i get the impression tho that this person doesnt want to get their hands dirty if u see what i mean
    Yes well I wasn't exactly advising him to do this, just show show how silly and pointless this sort of exercise is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero876)
    Yes well I wasn't exactly advising him to do this, just show show how silly and pointless this sort of exercise is.
    agreed!

ReputationRep:
    Surely the best course would be one to teach you how to attract rich people so you can marry into wealth. Much easier than earning it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    also very lazy with a large chance of failure and rather irresponsible

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.