Turn on thread page Beta

Best course to be rich watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Then the Economists' research is utter rubbish, London Business School is the best. It's close to being on par with the top US schools. In Europe, LBS and INSEAD are the best, IMD (Swiss) is very good. Warwick and Cranfield are also reputable, but lack the international brand name at present.
    On the contrary, Warwick gives the most famous MBA in the country, LBS is not much better than Cranfield and Warwick, if at all. Remember, though you think the EIU's research is rubbish, the industry doesn't, and that is what matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    On the contrary, Warwick gives the most famous MBA in the country, LBS is not much better than Cranfield and Warwick, if at all. Remember, though you think the EIU's research is rubbish, the industry doesn't, and that is what matters.

I ve worked in the city for a while and even they were saying the same thing that J.S. was saying earlier.
    LBS is the 2nd best in europe after INSEAD.
    Here's FT's MBA rankings.
    Warwick is 3rd after Judge (cambridge) and LBS

http://specials.ft.com/spdocs/FT3543AD2BD.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    I ve worked in the city for a while and even they were saying the same thing that J.S. was saying earlier.
    LBS is the 2nd best in europe after INSEAD.
    Here's FT's MBA rankings.
    Warwick is 3rd after Judge (cambridge) and LBS

http://specials.ft.com/spdocs/FT3543AD2BD.pdf
    I thought LSE was the best.....probably as good as Harvard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    I thought LSE was the best.....probably as good as Harvard.
    LSE is not a Business School

ReputationRep:
    im not saying the economist's rankings are rubbish, but it's certainly not a "traditional" ranking. if we're talking solely cache and reputation, LBS is top dog in the uk (also by far the most expensive UK MBA).

as for lse, its MSCs in Finance attract lots of city people and are highly respected. but yeah, it's not a business school. (although i just read in my lse alumni mag that they have a new executive mba course..)

it's all quite depressing talking about money and lucrative careers when you are still so young. what happened to youthful idealism ey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd)
    im not saying the economist's rankings are rubbish, but it's certainly not a "traditional" ranking. if we're talking solely cache and reputation, LBS is top dog in the uk (also by far the most expensive UK MBA).

as for lse, its MSCs in Finance attract lots of city people and are highly respected. but yeah, it's not a business school. (although i just read in my lse alumni mag that they have a new executive mba course..)

it's all quite depressing talking about money and lucrative careers when you are still so young. what happened to youthful idealism ey?

youthful idealism ? havent got one.

Money comes first.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever degree gets you into the city as a broker/banker. I see that some of those are buying houses on the strength on this year's Christmas bonus alone - in some cases in excess of £2M!

ReputationRep:
    illuminati, that's fair enough. you sound like you'll fit in just fine as an i-banker. besta luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    What is the best Course to do in Uni. to be rich without having an own business.

And I mean rich by 6 figure salary by age of 27.

I think it is possible.

Actuary? Stockbroker ? might do..
    I guess the ones which get you really rich or get you rich all of a sudden are just equally risky

ReputationRep:

You clearly have no idea as to what you're talking about

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    All this talk of MBA's is complete tripe.

I live in the US where every second person seems to have an MBA. From what I can make out the average net worth boasted by these guys is about $20,000.00 and most of them frankly I would'nt entrust with polishing my shoes.

They come to you for a job waving their fancy diplomas. But what are they worth? "Sure, you have a Stanford MBA, but, if your net worth is $20,000.........I mean, if that's how you manage your own finances.......why the hell do I want you to manage my company's finance?"

What I have seen in the three years I've been stateside goes a long way towards dismantling the myth of a superior American education.

Believe me, a British education is far superior. And please, don't hark on about Harvard and Yale, Stanford et al.

My attorney got his JD from HLS and apart from a notoriously demanding first year (the dreaded "L1") in which real law (by which I mean the 7 foundations) was studied the remaining two years were spent on ridiculously obscure and utterly useless electives.

And boy, does it show! I have a British LLb(Hons) from a non-too prestigious seat of learning and yet I can run rings around this guy when we are talking fundamental legal principles.

As a matter of fact, I recently asked him to look into third party rights in malicious prosecution for me. He clearly didn't have a clue and I might as well have asked my cat what he thought. (I went ahead and researched the law myself in the end.....quicker and cheaper!)

To answer the orginal post about making money my advise (and I speak here from personal experience) is to go study..........wait for it........quantity surveying!

You might not believe it but I've done pretty well at it and for anyone still awake here's a synopsis of my personal route to, not exactly superwealth, but to a way better than average performance.

I got a BSc(Hons) in QS'ing (again from a not very prestigious place) in and went on to become a Chartered Surveyor. I studied part time for an LLb(Hons) and got membership of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. All good, solid, no BS, qualifications.

I spent several years working for all kinds of sum-*****es in London etc, starting from the bottom, and working up to Managind Surveyor level before finally getting a lucky break in the international construction market.

I now live in Florida, own three homes (because a degree isn't everything and I spent a lot of my time learning creative real estate investing - probably learn't more and made more money by hanging around with bunch of real estate sharks than I ever did practicing my profession!) and gross not far off $150k pa.

So, there you have it folks. Forget MBA's, and forget the notion that your roadmap to success takes you through Harvard Business School.

Pick your profession. Stick with it and work hard at it. It will take you where you want to be in the end.

But, if you want to make real money then be prepared to learn from the most unexpected of sources.

Those sourses probably won't be Harvard professors; more likely a guy who barely scraped his HSD but has a real knack for securing loans, fiddling about with real estate contracts, and recognizng an opportunity.

Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    intersting....now thats something to think about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    You clearly have no idea as to what you're talking about
    But you obviously think you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    To answer the orginal post about making money my advise (and I speak here from personal experience) is to go study..........wait for it........quantity surveying!
    Hmmm yes - a very exciting job there! :rolleyes:

My Dad was a Quantity Surveyor from when he left school after his A levels, and even when he was 50 was only earning £25k. And he hated it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Hello howard.

One question, does law pay better or surveyor work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Hello howard.

One question, does law pay better or surveyor work?
    It's relative, but generally law.

ReputationRep:
    all the same, we'd like howard to confirm.

i am starting work at a law firm next yr, so here's what i know about the salaries: at a top 10 city firm, you start off around 28.5k as starting salary, when you qualify 2 yrs later, it's 50k. 3 years post-qualification, it's about 65 to 70k.

US law firms with offices in london is the most lucrative law job in the city. it'll be about 90 to over 100k 3 years post-qualification.

but statistically, training contracts are fairly tough to get (considering the number of students who apply). so make sure even your first year uni results are up to scratch!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's true. There are folks out there who only make about $25k a year as a QS. I went to college with a bunch of them.

But, like anything, it really depends how hard you push yourself. Had I stopped with an HNC in Building studies and gone off to work for Stevenage Borough Council, I'd probably be on $30k + car + flexi time.

The point I was trying to make is that you have to push yourself real hard to get anywhere.

There are chefs who make minimum wage carving turkey in a Berny Inn and there are chefs who make $300k pa having built up their own restaurants.

It's up to you how far you dedicate yourself.

As for the other question regarding who makes most money, lawyers or QS's, again, it's not that simple.

Here in the US, the most overlawyered nation in the world I know a lot of attorneys who don't even practice law anymore. Reason? Not enough work. Sure, they can and do charge $300/hr when they actually have something to do, but when they're short on clients where's the money coming from?

Look closer to home if you will. Consider how many Barristers just about go bancrupt while they twiddle their thumbs and do nothing but pay huge chambers contributions until they establish themselves! Why are the majority of barristers the "non-practising" variety?

By contrast, I know lots of QS's who coin it in. Senior QS Expat's can routinely bring in $100k+ tax free + car + accom + flights home etc. As a QS consultant, especially a claims consultant/practicing adjudicator type you can bring in $150/hr working from home.

I think the point is this. It's not the job you do. It's how well you do it. Unfortunately, most folks want the fast buck. They want to do three years at college and walk into a fortune. The problem is that life isn't like that.

I'm 34 now and devoted years to learning the profession whereas a lot of my college buddies graduated, took one look at the $20k starting salary, and said "sod this - I'm off to sell advertizing space"

I can't say it works for everyone but picking something, sticking to it, and building on it over years (not months) really worked well for me.

Howard

ReputationRep:
    But you obviously think you do.

Warwick's a great Univ, it has a fantastic MBA, yes, that's very true. HOWEVER, comparing ANY univ MBA here in the UK with LBS is an utter joke. Trust me, nothing comes too close. It's easily the most prestigious business school in the UK. You're just showing your ignorance on Biz Schools, which is understandable as you're a 6th former commenting on a postgrad. degree. LBS is a very selective school and this is coming from someone in the process of applying, it's absolutely anyone's (who can afford it/get funding/prepared to stay in London etc.) first choice. Have a look at the entry requirements matey, just take one glance at how selective it is. Try the FT too btw. And stop embarrassing yourself

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.