Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PETA uses Baby P killer image in advert watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8493389.stm

Personally I think this is a disgrace. Apart from the fact they have most of their morals screwed where they rate the welfare of an animal above a human, they've placed this advert in Haringey (where Baby P died). I don't advocate animal cruelty nor am I against animal welfare charities because if someone wants to help animals that's fine. But to actively cause damage physically and emotionally is just plain wrong.

What does everyone else think?

Agreee with you :yy: People who value animals on the grounds that they're 'innocent' or something and people aren't baffle me; they've obviously never even seen a national geographic video or seem to place a distinction between a leopard ripping a gazelle to shreds and a person eating a chicken killed electrically.

I don't agree with it, but at the end of the day posters like that are all about the shock factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Agreee with you :yy: People who value animals on the grounds that they're 'innocent' or something and people aren't baffle me; they've obviously never even seen a national geographic video or seem to place a distinction between a leopard ripping a gazelle to shreds and a person eating a chicken killed electrically.
    Well yeah clearly abusing animals or possibly even killing for sport is immoral but PETA are clearly insane. If you want to be a vegetarian, fine. I don't understand it personally but it's your choice. A lot of the people in PETA are vegetarian/vegan because they think it's fashionable, some of them not even sticking to it strictly. To be against other people though because they do like eating meat is hypocritical because they get all wound up when people criticise them.

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid- it's barely relevant to their campaign butit'c contreversial so they'll use it anyway. I don't normally object to PETA in any way but that is ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    They're terrorists [to my mind]. They want to terrify, disgust and upset people to send them into emotional turmoil so that they can be taken advantage of in this new state. To make them susceptable to indoctrination of ideas that are not necessarily based on fact at all.

I hate them. I love animals and am pro-animal rights, I believe there is a standard of animal welfare that is unacceptable - and so I hate PETA, they're a detriment to animals. They are making the whole idea of animal welfare look ridiculous and driving more people to not care at all and ignore the real issues which do actually exist. Hurting people is no way to help anything or anyone.

Edit: My post is mostly about PETA as a whole, especially their dodgy videos. Having seen the poster though - what on Earth is the point in it? It's not campaigning against eating meat or wearing leather, it's against beating kittens and bunnies essentially, which almost everyone is already aware is not a good thing anyway. There is no need for it, it's not teaching anyone anything or giving any real message.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I forgot to mention this (it's a link to wiki sorry I couldn't be bothered to find a proper link):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_Most_Wanted_Terrorists

The most recent addition to americans most wanted terrorists is an animal rights "liberator".

ReputationRep:
    But it's silly! No one is going to suddenly start thinking, 'oh no, I should stop eating caged eggs because I might turn into a rapist', and the people who directly abuse animals probably don't give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    I do not care.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for it. Shocking tactics work the best e.g. smoking,fatty foods etc

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... it's true (that animal abusers often turn their attention to humans later in life) but I don't see the point of using it on a billboard, or how PETA intend it to be interpreted. It might be more appropriate for a campaign by a body like the RSPCA...?

ReputationRep:
    PETA are a bunch of cranks.....true to form, they kicked up a right stink when Obama swotted a fly during an interview for christs sake.......I mean, get real:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    PETA are a bunch of cranks.....true to form, they kicked up a right stink when Obama swotted a fly during an interview for christs sake.......I mean, get real:rolleyes:
    HAHAHA I hadn't heard that before

*goes off to google*

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think they are 'above' everyone? Humans are animals, sick and twisted ones, like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Merely posting relevant facts based upon 40 years of psychological studies into convicted criminals that show people who deliberately harm animals in their childhood are more likely to harm humans as they grow up.

Whilst the use of the Baby P connection may shock people, it's hardly original and many groups use shock tactics to attract attention. It is a known fact from court transcripts that Steven Barker used to torture animals when he was younger, and it is a known fact that he later tortured and killed Baby P. Thus it is logical to use this man as an example, along with years of psychological data in their advertising campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    HAHAHA I hadn't heard that before

*goes off to google*
    Mad isn't it:lolwut: ....At the time of the interview I made a joke to my housemates that the "animal-rights" brigade would probably kick up a fuss, but the next day they actually did!:mute:

ReputationRep:
    They've got a point TBH. He reportedly tortured guinea pigs and frogs as a child. Nearly all psychos do. Its a very good reason to encourage people to take animal abuse seriously.

It's accurate. I dislike a lot of PETA's tactics, but like it or not they're spot on here. On another note, I really wish this country wasn't so censorship-happy. The ASA should be banning fraudulent advertisements, not accurate ones that some people find offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    Mad isn't it:lolwut: ....At the time of the interview I made a joke to my housemates that the "animal-rights" brigade would probably kick up a fuss, but the next day they actually did!:mute:
    Obama was like a ninja when he nailed that sucker

ReputationRep:
    Where can we find an image of the poster?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.