Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PETA uses Baby P killer image in advert watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Agreee with you :yy: People who value animals on the grounds that they're 'innocent' or something and people aren't baffle me; they've obviously never even seen a national geographic video or seem to place a distinction between a leopard ripping a gazelle to shreds and a person eating a chicken killed electrically.
    Definately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    They've got a point TBH. He reportedly tortured guinea pigs and frogs as a child. Nearly all psychos do. Its a very good reason to encourage people to take animal abuse seriously.
    I might be entirely wrong and i'm not basing this on any study or research.. but i'm more inclined to believe that a lot of kids, or even most kids who harm animals at a young age don't turn out to be psychos etc.

Granted that a lot of psychos seem to have harmed animals at a young age but I fail to see the link. Are people/scientists actually saying that harming animals causes them to turn out the way they do? Or the harm of the animals is just a starting point and they are already ****** in the head?

ReputationRep:
    PETA are a bunch of nutters anyway. To my mind they are terrorists and I dont support them one bit even though I love animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnthebaptist1)
    I might be entirely wrong and i'm not basing this on any study or research.. but i'm more inclined to believe that a lot of kids, or even most kids who harm animals at a young age don't turn out to be psychos etc.

Granted that a lot of psychos seem to have harmed animals at a young age but I fail to see the link. Are people/scientists actually saying that harming animals causes them to turn out the way they do? Or the harm of the animals is just a starting point and they are already ****** in the head?
    Yeah I'm sure most don't turn out to be psychos, but any kid who enjoys torturing small animals probably has issues. I'd imagine its the latter. According to wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer#cite_note-7 sourced from a book by some FBI Agent, "They are involved in sadistic activity or torturing small animals" is one of the typical characteristics of serial killers. Obviously I'm not saying that a kid who kicks a dog is automatically going to become a psycho, but if someone actually enjoys torturing guinea pigs and the like, then it should set off some alarm bells and indicate that perhaps the kid needs some extra support - nipping the problem in the bud, as it were. What I'm saying is that people shouldn't just ignore animal abuse, even if its "just" a guinea pig or whatever, the poster encourages people to take it seriously, even if it is distasteful.

ReputationRep:
    Gonna play devil's advocate here, but from what the article says about the accompanying slogan it seems like a good tactic to raise awareness. People who abuse animals probably will go on to try something a bit more extreme to get their kicks if cruelty to animals starts to bore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Gonna play devil's advocate here, but from what the article says about the accompanying slogan it seems like a good tactic to raise awareness. People who abuse animals probably will go on to try something a bit more extreme to get their kicks if cruelty to animals starts to bore them.
    But I think you're missing the point slightly. Yes a large percentage of murderers torture animals as a kid BUT not all kids who torture animals become murderers.

I used to find it funny as a kid to squish insects and pull the ears of my cat but it doesn't mean I'm gonna go out on a kill spree.

ReputationRep:
    People
    Eat
    Tasty
    Animals

PETA can be right numpties sometimes. I respect what their aim is, but the way they go about it sometimes is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    But I think you're missing the point slightly. Yes a large percentage of murderers torture animals as a kid BUT not all kids who torture animals become murderers.

I used to find it funny as a kid to squish insects and pull the ears of my cat but it doesn't mean I'm gonna go out on a kill spree.
    Yes but you're reductio ad absurdiuming it a bit no? When they say cruelty to animals they means things like kicking a dog for no reason, throwing a cat off a roof- y'know, stuff that could actually really hurt the animal, rather than just cheerful playing.

ReputationRep:
    Having read the thread I can now see why they did it, but I don't think they should've. They are absolute idiots anyway though.

ReputationRep:
    Im all for animal rights but PETA make me want to abuse some animals. They're ******* ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    People need to stop ******* whining. They've got a point. Its common to detect animal abuse in a murderer's past.

ReputationRep:
    All i have to say is that PETA are insane and nothing they do shocks me any more. If anyone caught the Penn and Teller show they were featured in an episode and that pretty much sold it to me. They are terrorists AND murderers and i want nothing to do with them or there thoughtless and inappropriate propaganda.

(Original post by Trigger)
    All i have to say is that PETA are insane and nothing they do shocks me any more. If anyone caught the Penn and Teller show they were featured in an episode and that pretty much sold it to me. They are terrorists AND murderers and i want nothing to do with them or there thoughtless and inappropriate propaganda.
    Inappropriate, perhaps, but it certainly isn't thoughtless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    People need to stop ******* whining. They've got a point. Its common to detect animal abuse in a murderer's past.
    Yes they have a point but as usual the group have missed it the mark by about 400 light years. The Baby P thing didn't really cause me any great distress but that campaign is just completely heartless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Inappropriate, perhaps, but it certainly isn't thoughtless.
    Thoughtless to a point (of course thinking about people related to the Baby P case) but it's all their ridiculous campaigns i am commenting about. They have a one track mind at the forefront of their group but scratch barely under the surface and you find out some of their videos are staged and disreputable.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, Steven Barker, my hero :love:

ReputationRep:
    That's a fairly poor line of argument... he hurt animals in his youth therefore if you hurt animals you will kill a baby. Hitler was fairly keen on ecology, but we wouldn't say all ecologists are genocidal anti-Semites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmorrison12)
    That's a fairly poor line of argument... he hurt animals in his youth therefore if you hurt animals you will kill a baby. Hitler was fairly keen on ecology, but we wouldn't say all ecologists are genocidal anti-Semites.
    It's a well-known theory that has been proven, actually. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't value human life any higher than any other animal; in fact I'd say the lives of polar bears, tigers, eagles, et cetera are more valuable than human life as humans are in no danger of extinction unless they do it themselves. So, yeah, I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like PETA did some clever marketing, as this is being discussed everywhere at the minute...talk about raising awareness!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.