Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey this is for their operations divisions respectively.

Im not really sure what criteria i should use to weigh up in this choice, dont really know how to rate banks in terms of performance (not from an economic background at all degree tottaly unrelated etc)

In fact the only thing i at the moment can base it on is that RBS seam like bery nice people, quite like their culture etc.
    sooo basically please help, who would you choose and why
    thanks,

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're not being serious, one of them provides you with state benefits dammit! This is easy, clearly RBS.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phonebooth)

Im not really sure what criteria i should use to weigh up in this choice, dont really know how to rate banks in terms of performance (not from an economic background at all degree tottaly unrelated etc)

In fact the only thing i at the moment can base it on is that RBS seam like bery nice people, quite like their culture etc.
    thanks,
    Goldman will work you to the bone, but their name on your CV will give most other employers an erection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    No

erm no to what,

please excuse me if im being dense which i probably am
    but like i said i've only just introduced myself to this whole banking thing.
    dont really know how to judge the two.

ReputationRep:
    choose GS easily, even in ops you will be regarded above others in ops from other banks. i'd imagine it also makes lateral moves later on a lot easier

ReputationRep:
    haha, I am making a similar decision, although for different divisions. Essentially the people at RBS and the culture seem like a fantastic place to be working, whilst the reputation of Goldmans would look fantastic on a CV. I am leading towards RBS, but only because it is in a division which I am more interested in.

ReputationRep:
    wat

ReputationRep:
    ... dude. Seriously, is this a troll thread?

The best IB in the world vs the worst IB in the world (left standing)

If you haven't got it yet, in order;

Goldman Sachs vs RBS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phonebooth)

thanks,

If your choices were for IBD/S&T, I would have said GS. As for operations, however, both are good choices. I know that RBS operations interns get to rotate around (FO and MO roles). I know a few operations summer interns who rotated into IBD and S&T. You also get to network while you are in FO/MO and get interviewed if they like you.

-If you are totally neutral between the two, go with GS. It's a better bank for sure.
    -If you like the people at RBS over those at GS, go with RBS.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Goldman are notorious for seriously short-changing their operations teams compared to other banks. I mean really badly. No-one does Operations for the love of it. They do it because it pays reasonably well (compared to other sectors) and the hours are easy. This isn't as clear cut as some of you are making out. The only redeeming feature of operations at Goldman is the fact they are normally quite good at allowing for some movement between divisions - only if you are exceptional of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redeyejedi)
    Goldman are notorious for seriously short-changing their operations teams compared to other banks. I mean really badly. No-one does Operations for the love of it. They do it because it pays reasonably well (compared to other sectors) and the hours are easy. This isn't as clear cut as some of you are making out. The only redeeming feature of operations at Goldman is the fact they are normally quite good at allowing for some movement between divisions - only if you are exceptional of course.

hey this is really helpful, could you elaborate more specifically on how goldman's short change their ops staff.
    thanks

also trust me im not trolling, im generally do not know that much about investment banks, ive spent my whole life wanting to work for the nhs, as reflected by my degree, but have recently changed my mind, and as non of my peers are interested in the corporate route i have no one to seek advice from apart from you guys.

soo all help majorly appeciated
    thanks

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.