Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I do maths a-level and further maths as-level. I am looking for a book which goes into a bit more advanced maths, particularly calculus just because I am interested in learning a bit more. Does anybody have any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I do maths a-level and further maths as-level. I am looking for a book which goes into a bit more advanced maths, particularly calculus just because I am interested in learning a bit more. Does anybody have any recommendations?
    search for it on teh net, theres about 4 free university type textbooks free on calculas...

ReputationRep:
    I recommend reading What is Mathematics by Courant and Robbins (revised by Ian Stewart). It's available on amazon.co.uk and is very cheap for a mathematics textbook. It has a section on calculus, but also sections on other bits of higher maths, such as projective geometry, sets, number theory, topology, etc. The material is not too difficult and is explained well.

If you'd prefer a book solely on calculus, I imagine most of the books you'll find are quite difficult. G.H. Hardy's "A Course Of Pure Mathematics" is available if you're up for the (very tough) challenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I recommend reading What is Mathematics by Courant and Robbins (revised by Ian Stewart). It's available on amazon.co.uk and is very cheap for a mathematics textbook. It has a section on calculus, but also sections on other bits of higher maths, such as projective geometry, sets, number theory, topology, etc. The material is not too difficult and is explained well.

If you'd prefer a book solely on calculus, I imagine most of the books you'll find are quite difficult. G.H. Hardy's "A Course Of Pure Mathematics" is available if you're up for the (very tough) challenge.
    Thank you theone, I am going to get a copy of 'what is mathematics,' all of the reviews on amazon are really good. I think I will leave the other book until I go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should also have a look at some American calculus textbooks as well...unlike Britain they have courses called Calculus (here its contained in several different courses under Numerical Methods etc) they are pretty well written, starting you right from the the fundamentals, and building up the subject quite rapidly. There are lots of titles out there.... i've only mainly come in contact with one called Calculus by J Stewart, it's worth checking a few of them out.

ReputationRep:
    How much more detail than further maths could you possibly want?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    further maths doesnt really teach u that much about maths... it just teaches u a bit more about methods (how to solve ordinary diff eqs, implicit calculus, hyperbolics, complex nos, and vectors), but isnt as rigorous as a uni course, which would take u through alot more generalisations and proofs of what ur actually doing.

ReputationRep:

theres a book out called 'trigonometric delights' that my stats teacher showed me, goes into detail about how many of the equations we use today came to be proved in nature etc...very interesting

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a little late, but Cambridge Maths department has a reading list on it's website (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk) that's got a wide variety of books, technical and general, that are very good.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a little late, but Cambridge Maths department has a reading list on it's website (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk) that's got a wide variety of books, technical and general, that are very good.
    What about perkins and Perkins books? they are 20 years old and hard as fk...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    What about perkins and Perkins books? they are 20 years old and hard as fk...
    Never heard of them

No point studying anything that's too hard anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of them

No point studying anything that's too hard anyway.
    they are classics

*throws himself on the floor, oh master we are not worthly, we are not worthly*

*picks himself up*

No, its just about dooable, its is a massive question book. And each one will take 30+ mins to do.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.