Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    My application is now at the University of East London (my second choice). I called them and they said there are vacancies and gttr are showing vacancies also.

Does anyone know how long it will take to hear back?
    Has anyone heard back from UEL?
    Is anyone else in the same boat?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph2teach)
    Hi guys,
    My application is now at the University of East London (my second choice). I called them and they said there are vacancies and gttr are showing vacancies also.

Does anyone know how long it will take to hear back?
    Has anyone heard back from UEL?
    Is anyone else in the same boat?
    :confused:
    hi there,
    As far as i know UEL have a slightly different schedule than other unis. I believe they have something called the "cut-off" date, whereby if you've applied before this date they dont have to respond back before the cut off date regardless of when youve applied. I remember the date being the end of january, so hopefully you should hear something soon.

They got back to me after about 6 weeks. Unfortunately it wasn't the news i had hoped.

Good Luck.

What have you applied for btw?

ReputationRep:
    My application went to UEL in November, I called a week before Christmas and they said I should hear something before Christmas but I didnt. So I called after the Christmas break and they told me over the phone I had an interview but the had no date for me yet! I was happy that I got an interview!!! I only found out last that the date was for 19th of Feb!!!! So it was a long wait but hopefully worth it!!!

I think unis have 28 days until they have to make some sort of a decision on your application so you might have to wait some time!!! just to let you know!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys :-)
    I've applied for PGCE Primary
    I hope I hear something soon. I may call at the end of this month

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I got an email about an interview about 8 weeks after I sent off my application, that was without phoning them or anything. Now I've had my interview, I'm still waiting to hear about how that went, so they do take their time! But I would sit it out, cos a girl I work with who did her PGCE last year said they do take a long time to get back to you!

Good luck xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahf1987)
    Hey, I got an email about an interview about 8 weeks after I sent off my application...But I would sit it out, cos a girl I work with who did her PGCE last year said they do take a long time to get back to you! Good luck xxx
    Thanks hannahf (and everyone else also) that does put my mind a rest...a little :yes: I'm just not good at waiting I guess but because this is something I really want to do; I'm just nervous and going crazy :woo: :eek3:
    Also I need time to prepare if I do get an interview.

*sigh* I guess all I can do is wait.

Good luck to everyone. Hope you all get a quick positive response.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Gttr now says: "Interview Timing (app/inst)"
    !!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mine says the same thing, you should get a letter from GTTR telling you how long UEL have to give a reply xx

ReputationRep:
    Just to update you guys, I rang up UEL and my interview is in April.

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered for the 5 minute presentation, even though you are discussing a lesson plan; do you need to bring props? So far I have pictures of the props I would use.

Also what sort of questions do they ask (apart from why do you want to teach, skills ect).

Many thanks :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Steph

You dont have to bring props but Im sure you can if you want.

Questions were ok.....on the lesson plan they asked what about someone who couldnt speak english, how do you see the role of a teaching assistant in your lesson. and I think something about a student with a learning difficulty.
    General questions were.....why do you want to be a teacher....what qualities you have that would make you a good teacher......educational issues (I was expecting in general so I had the rose review prepared but they asked in an everyday classroom setting)....asked about disadvantaged students why do you think there is a difference in grades between lower and upper class. and what I thought of the report that said that. They also asked about living in London.....advantages and disadvantages.
    I cant think of anything else but I think that was most of it!
    For the tests watch your timing. Time goes quickly without even noticing!

When is your interview! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks for your help I feel more confident.
    With regards to the report that said about class grade differences; are we meant to know a lot about that report?
    Good advice too about test timings becasue it is easy to get entrenched in the moment. I must remember to bring a watch!

My interview is 8th April but I don't know if it is for the waiting list yet. I have a feeling it probably will be as it is "late" in the year. I doubt many people will drop off the PGCE if I am successful in getting on the list but we'll see....

ReputationRep:
    I had heard about the report a day or two before my interview but just the basics. I didnt go and look it up or anything. The way they asked it was.....a report came out recently that highlighted students from middle/upper class get better grades than lower class, why do you think this is or do you agree with this. Then they said why do you think there is a difference in grades. It wasnt bad or anything! I couldnt even tell you the name of the report to be honest. Alot of people say go over the rose review....which you should but just make sure to keep an eye out the days coming up to your interview because there is always reports released about something and the more recent stuff you talk about the better.
    They also about professionalism in teaching actually.
    There is a clock in the room but I just got stuck in so I forgot about the time. Was expecting the supervisor to say ok times up but that never happened!!!!!!!!!
    Im on an Irish forum and there is still people who have interviews at the end of the month and into April. You never know....alot can happen between now and September. Dont worry. When will you find out if its for the waiting list or not? Even if it is for the waiting list you should still treat it as if its for a place because the better you preform the higher up on the waiting list you will be!!!

ReputationRep:
    Also, Brief suggestion for anybody that still hasn't had their interview - try readign the Times Educational Supplement (I think the paper comes out on Fridays or online at: http://www.tes.co.uk/publications.aspx?navcode=91 )

I'd imagine its a useful research - it probably helps to break down these reports that are always being released

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jac_k, thanks for your help. They will send an e-mail letting us know if the interview is for the waiting list but I don't mind becasue as you say a lot can happen between now and September. I would be chuffed if I got at the top of the waiting list ;-) but we shall see.

Thanks Darigan, I agree that TES is useful. I'm lucky because TES newspaper gets delivered at my workplace every Friday.

ReputationRep:
    Steph, don't worry too much about how long it's taking, as I said I applied in September and didn't get ANY correspondence from them til the very end of December!

The TES is what I read and used it in my interview when they asked me questions, so it's a good one to browse!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone :hello:

I'm new to this just saw the convo and thought i'd jump in with a quick question if thats ok. I have an interview with UEL coming up this thursday (25th march) and I am really worried about the maths exam. Dose anyone know what the questions are like - what level they are at, how they are set out in terms of formate? Is the mental arithmetic hard?

ow and what shoud we wear? because the last interview I went to lots of people were wearing jeans, is that ok?

thanx

Sue

ReputationRep:
    Hey Sue,

The maths is not too bad, just a list of questions with things like fractions, adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying, a little bit of algebra, some percentages, volume and area. I brushed up with a GCSE maths revision book which saw me through, considering how awful I am at maths lol

I just wore black suit trousers, a grey blouse and cardigan, don't know about anyone else cos my interview was individual and seemed to be on a day where they weren't interviewing anyone else lol!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I would have to second what Hannah has said!
    I am on a Irish forum like this and one of the girls asked them about the maths and they said most people get between 40 and 60 percent and its just for them to get an understanding about what your maths is like and what areas you made need to concentrate on etc etc......its not a deal breaker so dont worry!!!

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Jeans!!?? :eek: Heavens!:lol:
    Lol :teehee: not to be rude but it is still an interview and I would "dess to impress". Where I work they were interviewing for a new caretaker and most came in a suit and brought a change of clothes (jeans) for the practical. The suited ones made a better impression. It's up to you but I would suggest something smart/casual. :yes:

Good luck for your interview I'm sure you will be fine, yours is 2 weeks before mine so let us know how it went!
    x

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.